Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OVMS Jabberwocky Day - 14th June 2012, @2pm UTC (GMT)

To celebrate the global take-up of OVMS, users willing to give up their privacy for an hour or so, should all join the same social group so we can see the location and vehicleids of each other's cars. We can see where we are around the world.

Here are the details:

1. Participation is entirely optional. By participating, you will be allowing anyone and everyone to see the location of your car, it's speed, SOC and vehicle ID.
  2. If you choose to participate, you can participate for 1 day, 1 hour, or for however long you want. The control is entirely in your hands.
  3. Those that want to participate should use the smartphone Apps to set their "Social Group" parameter to JABBERWOCKY. You should set this some time before 2pm UTC on Thursday 14th June 2012. Please also ensure that your car and apps are using the tmc.openvehicles.com server.
  4. Those that want to see the participants on the smartphone apps can just use the GROUPS feature in the map tabs to add group JABBERWOCKY and see it.
  5. Those that want to see the participants from a PC, on a global map can go to maps.google.com and enter the following into the search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=JABBERWOCKY (if you want to test this today, you can replace ELECTRICRACE as the group id, to see Rafael's position in his round-the-world race).
  6. Once you remove the social group parameter from your car module, it will stop sending location updates to that group, and be removed when it times out some time later (or RESET the module to disconnect and be immediately removed).

This is a great idea! 7:00 am is a bit early for me to be out driving around, but I'll try to get onto the map a bit later that morning.

Do we still need to append "?random=<a different number each time>" in order to get the Google map to refresh the map points?

To celebrate the global take-up of OVMS, users willing to give up their privacy for an hour or so, should all join the same social group so we can see the location and vehicleids of each other's cars. We can see where we are around the world.

Here are the details:

1. Participation is entirely optional. By participating, you will be allowing anyone and everyone to see the location of your car, it's speed, SOC and vehicle ID.
  2. If you choose to participate, you can participate for 1 day, 1 hour, or for however long you want. The control is entirely in your hands.
  3. Those that want to participate should use the smartphone Apps to set their "Social Group" parameter to JABBERWOCKY. You should set this some time before 2pm UTC on Thursday 14th June 2012. Please also ensure that your car and apps are using the tmc.openvehicles.com server.
  4. Those that want to see the participants on the smartphone apps can just use the GROUPS feature in the map tabs to add group JABBERWOCKY and see it.
  5. Those that want to see the participants from a PC, on a global map can go to maps.google.com and enter the following into the search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=JABBERWOCKY (if you want to test this today, you can replace ELECTRICRACE as the group id, to see Rafael's position in his round-the-world race).
  6. Once you remove the social group parameter from your car module, it will stop sending location updates to that group, and be removed when it times out some time later (or RESET the module to disconnect and be immediately removed).
I typed into Explorer http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=ELECTRICRACE and got a message asking if I wanted to save this program or search the web for a program that could open it!

I've signed up to the group and will do my best to enable it at the correct time. Mind you, I can't guarantee it'll be anywhere interesting as I am on a trip that day. Car´s spend most of their time parked anyway.

Mark

I've signed up to the group and will do my best to enable it at the correct time. Mind you, I can't guarantee it'll be anywhere interesting as I am on a trip that day. Car´s spend most of their time parked anyway.

Mark

Now, that's an interesting idea. Park the roadster next to something interesting at the time. France: Eiffel Tower, New York: statue of liberty, etc. Would look great on google maps.

Not explorer, but maps.google.com.

First, go to Google Maps
Then, cut-and-paste into the google maps search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=JABBERWOCKY

Worked! It showed several cars listed on the left side of the page, but only one on the map, though, and that one is in Germany.

Another problem with OVMS. I added another car name in the 'groups' section and ever since when I click on the OVMS app on my iPhone, the app opens for about 2 seconds and then blinks off to the main screen again. I rebooted the iPhone without benefit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Another problem with OVMS. I added another car name in the 'groups' section and ever since when I click on the OVMS app on my iPhone, the app opens for about 2 seconds and then blinks off to the main screen again. I rebooted the iPhone without benefit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A known bug, unfortunately.

If you entered a space in the group name, the App can't handle it properly on startup.

Only workaround is to remove the App, then re-install from App Store.

We have this fixed in the latest testflightapp release, and it should go to Apple for approval within the next couple of days.

Here are the details:

Just a reminder, everyone, OVMS Jabberwocky day starts in a few hours - today!

P.S. Remember what Google's ex-CEO Eric Schmidt said: "I don't believe society understands what happens when everything is available, knowable and recorded by everyone all the time."

BTW, accidentally discovered iPhone 4S feature:

It's been mentioned before that forwarded SMS messages can only be seen briefly on the lock screen and then they disappear. When on the main "icons" screen a downward swipe produces this screen: ...

Now I can actually read my spam! :rolleyes:

I initially set up OVMS on my wife's iPad but then acquired an iPhone which I use in WiFi-only mode. The problem is that the SMS messages still go to her iPad where the app is still installed. How do I tag my iPhone as the "master" device for OVMS? Thanks in advance.

I initially set up OVMS on my wife's iPad but then acquired an iPhone which I use in WiFi-only mode. The problem is that the SMS messages still go to her iPad where the app is still installed. How do I tag my iPhone as the "master" device for OVMS? Thanks in advance.

You can turn off notifications for Open Vehicles on the iPad. The Settings App has it under 'Notifications'.

...park the roadster next to...: statue of liberty,.

That would be a good trick.

statue_of_liberty_col080202-thumb.jpg