Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked with the Service Center about the service plan. Their big argument for the pricing is that an alignment costs $200 and it's slightly less than half the cost of the Annual Service with the plan (a 3rd without). They provided me a copy of their checklist (she said they didn't like handing out blanks so she wrote Sample on it, hopefully I'm not getting her in trouble by posting this). Based on this checklist it's clear that this is more than just a change of wipers and key batteries.

She told me that the plan has the hard limits for mileage and time (within 1000 miles or 1 month of the limits). But that they have been more flexible than the required limits, particularly the mileage limits in cases where the yearly mileage was close to the mileage limits (she gave a 15,000 miles as a example for year where they'd ignore the 12,500 mile term). I got the clear impression that while they've been flexible on this that you shouldn't count on this as an ongoing policy.

She asked me if I had the resale guarantee when trying to explain why you should get the plan. I got the impression (though she didn't say so) that you should be doing the 12,500 miles service intervals if you want to preserve the resale guarantee. But since I don't have the resale guarantee we didn't get into that.

I asked about if the +4 would be available once the 4 year plan expired. But she couldn't answer that question, she said Ownership (who directed me to the Service Center to answer questions about the plan) should have answered this. Her understanding is the +4 isn't available at this time and that you shouldn't count on it becoming available.

Hopefully people find this helpful. I'm still undecided but I've got a while longer to decide.

They provided me a copy of their checklist (she said they didn't like handing out blanks so she wrote Sample on it, hopefully I'm not getting her in trouble by posting this). Based on this checklist it's clear that this is more than just a change of wipers and key batteries.

Yea it's more than just change of wiper blades and key batteries. You get windshield wiper fluid too.

IMO there's no value in purchasing their service or extended warranty plans at all.

Talked with the Service Center about the service plan. Their big argument for the pricing is that an alignment costs $200 and it's slightly less than half the cost of the Annual Service with the plan (a 3rd without). They provided me a copy of their checklist (she said they didn't like handing out blanks so she wrote Sample on it, hopefully I'm not getting her in trouble by posting this). Based on this checklist it's clear that this is more than just a change of wipers and key batteries.

The first time mine went in for its "annual" they did not do an alignment. Just an inspection, wiper blades and new key fob batteries. At a later date, when the car was in for some unrelated matter, they did do an alignment. I asked them why and they said they just felt it was time to do it, or something like that. I was not charged.

Since they didn't have the price guarantee in Canada when I bought, and it is no longer required for warranty, I've decided to do it maybe once a year regardless of mileage. I pre-paid for the 4 + 4 year plan. I have had one "annual" done so far and my car currently has about 36,000 miles.

She told me that the plan has the hard limits for mileage and time (within 1000 miles or 1 month of the limits). But that they have been more flexible than the required limits, particularly the mileage limits in cases where the yearly mileage was close to the mileage limits (she gave a 15,000 miles as a example for year where they'd ignore the 12,500 mile term). I got the clear impression that while they've been flexible on this that you shouldn't count on this as an ongoing policy.

This is very confusing. Every service center seems to have a different policy and the ones that say this are disregarding what corporate is defining. For other things it's not such a big deal, but a service contract should be more well defined. Ownership@ has said several times previously that the mileage requirement has been removed. I guess I don't understand why service centers are disagreeing with what the mothership is saying.

This is very confusing. Every service center seems to have a different policy and the ones that say this are disregarding what corporate is defining. For other things it's not such a big deal, but a service contract should be more well defined. Ownership@ has said several times previously that the mileage requirement has been removed. I guess I don't understand why service centers are disagreeing with what the mothership is saying.

Until the actual contracts are updated it will probably remain this way.

After reading through the last 4-5 pages, I am still not sure whether I should get the service plans or not.

At the current price and your experience, do you think the 4+4 service plan is still worth it?
I am wondering whether going in every 2 years would be enough. I don't really enjoy driving to Toronto and normally drive around 10k km or less every year.
I really need the roadside assistance though.

Also, do you think the extended service agreement is worth it? I am hoping to keep the car for more than 4 years.

Thank you very much before hand for any of your help. :)

After reading through the last 4-5 pages, I am still not sure whether I should get the service plans or not.

At the current price and your experience, do you think the 4+4 service plan is still worth it?

In my honest opinion, the answer is no.

When I purchased the Plan, Tesla was saying that the annual inspections were compulsory to maintain your warranty. So I bought the 4 + 4 plan because my mileage requirements are such that I would need about 2 inspections a year and felt the "discount" for pre-payment was worth it. Shortly after I bought it, Tesla backed down on the requirement of inspections to maintain your warranty.

Also, it was stated back then that this was the ONLY WAY you would receive software and hardware upgrades. Well, we now know that everyone gets software updates and I have not received any hardware upgrades that non-Service Plan owners have not also received. I had a charge port and door handles replaced under warranty, and the only non-warranty hardware upgrade I got was the revised defroster vent and underbody shield that, as far as I know, everyone got with or without the Plan anyway.

I plan on using mine up approximately 1 per year, regardless of miles since it is not needed to maintain the warranty. That way it will last me longer. On my first visit, I got the visual inspection, wiper blades and key fob batteries. No alignment. They did do an alignment for me later (without my asking) when the car was in for an unrelated warranty repair.

Now having said all of that, I have always received excellent service from Tesla. They give me a loaner car, wash mine for me etc. Am I getting better service because I am a Service Plan purchaser? I would have no way of knowing.

EDIT: Remember, you can still pay for these inspections a-la-carte if you want.

In my honest opinion, the answer is no.

Also, it was stated back then that this was the ONLY WAY you would receive software and hardware upgrades. Well, we now know that everyone gets software updates and I have not received any hardware upgrades that non-Service Plan owners have not also received.

EDIT: Remember, you can still pay for these inspections a-la-carte if you want.

Was never said from the very beginning that you had to purchase a service plan in order to get software updates. Always has been part of annual service. You are just getting a discount by prepaying for the annual service nothing else. Those of us that pay once a year for the service are paying for the same thing, just not with a discount. We get the exact same service and treatment you do. You just prepayed.

Was never said from the very beginning that you had to purchase a service plan in order to get software updates. Always has been part of annual service. You are just getting a discount by prepaying for the annual service nothing else. Those of us that pay once a year for the service are paying for the same thing, just not with a discount. We get the exact same service and treatment you do. You just prepayed.

What he is saying is that people that don't pay for service get the same things (software updates, etc) as those that do.

Was never said from the very beginning that you had to purchase a service plan in order to get software updates.

Check this page from the Internet Archive from December 2012. It clearly says System Monitoring, Remote Diagnostics, Software Updates and new features (among other items) are part of the Plan.

We get the exact same service and treatment you do. You just prepayed.

I was referring to folks who neither pre-paid for the plan nor pay for it at the time of inspection (i.e. don't bother with annual inspections).

$600 ($700 with tech to home) for:

Wiper blades
Keyfob battery
Cabin filter
AC Receiver/Drier

Here is the checklist, in case I am missing something:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22419&d=1369233153

Oh, it was this Tesla owner that started it all:

teacher_behind_desk.png

Last edited:
If my car breaks down or needs service and I have not prepaid for a service plan, will Tesla send out a tech and/or give me a loaner? I live 100-150 miles from the nearest service center...

They changed the plans and it is $100 per occurence, as they dropped the unlimited free visits.

Also the highest level price went up from $2400 to $3800. Bravissimo!

Reading this and the TrueDelta reports I will definitely be waiting to read from the brave D beta-testers before pulling the trigger in summer.

Sorry if this has been addressed earlier

My car is around 15 months old and I am confused about the $600 service. How did other members handle this? Do I really need this service?
Has anyone taken Model S for tire rotation to a generic tire place? Are the wiper blades easily changeable and available in an auto part stores?
Can I top the fluids myself?
Whjat else do they do?
Would not getting a first service by Tesla affect future Tesla service of I need for more serious problems?

IMO, do not buy prepaid service. You can still take in periodically for TSBs and you'll likely get the same service, sans new wiper blades. For the rare instance where you do want something not offered, then just pay $600 a la carte, but that's not likely to happen for a long time.

I'm confused and sorry to ask what's probably already been asked many times.

I am taking delivery this Saturday and I'm not sure what, if any, benefit there is to a prepaid service plan other than saving a little bit of the cost over the four years.

Do I get ranger/roadside assistance without it?
Do I get misc hardware upgrades/fixes without it?

What are the advantages of signing up?
What are the disadvantages of not?

Thanks

Matt you summed it up, only difference is a discount. Right off of tesla website. You get exact same service either way you pay.

I'm confused and sorry to ask what's probably already been asked many times.

I am taking delivery this Saturday and I'm not sure what, if any, benefit there is to a prepaid service plan other than saving a little bit of the cost over the four years.

Do I get ranger/roadside assistance without it?
Do I get misc hardware upgrades/fixes without it?

What are the advantages of signing up?
What are the disadvantages of not?

Thanks

Non-Tesla service

Is there any reason why I can't get tire rotation, wiper blade change, and filling fluids performed at a regular automobile service center?
What do I get for $600, other than being picked up from home and delivery after service?