Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'll subscribe to this thread. I bought the prepaid annual service visits for four years. Is there any value to having that now? Is there even such a thing as annual service anymore? If so, what do they do?
They did a ton of stuff at my 25,000 mile update. Took them a long time, they kept it overnight. It's a full car check over, fixing anything they find. Got rid of rattles. Fixed one of the front of the car vents that auto opens/closes with temperature for battery temp control I had no idea was broken. Etc.

I guess I'll subscribe to this thread. I bought the prepaid annual service visits for four years. Is there any value to having that now? Is there even such a thing as annual service anymore? If so, what do they do?

Great question. I paid for the 4+4 service plan because I bought a Sig and thought that there would surely be several hardware upgrades that I would want. Well, so far everyone has been getting the same service as me, service plan or not. And there hasn't been a single hardware upgrade included with my plan.

@ckessel - Wow, I had no idea they went over it with such a fine toothed comb. If they've ever done the same with mine I'd have no idea because all that's ever on my service invoice are a couple mandatory TSBs and then a few issues that I've raised with them. Was that inspection under "pay type" listed as goodwill or service plan?

@ckessel - Wow, I had no idea they went over it with such a fine toothed comb. If they've ever done the same with mine I'd have no idea because all that's ever on my service invoice are a couple mandatory TSBs and then a few issues that I've raised with them. Was that inspection under "pay type" listed as goodwill or service plan?
Well, I'd pointed out a couple rattles, but they were pretty thorough in hunting down anything they heard.

As for things like the malfunctioning vent, that's part of the service visit, fixing what they found as they checked all the systems. The 12.5k didn't have nearly as much, but they tech there said when he called to say it was going to need a second day that they forgot when scheduling that the 25k is a much more comprehensive maintenance.

They also installed the updated defrost vent that does a better job clearing fog on the driver's side. Oregon isn't Canada :), but it does get cold and rainy enough that the upgrade has value here.

Anyway, suffice to say, it was enough to convince me that I'd take my car in each year even if I didn't have the prepaid service plan.

Great question. I paid for the 4+4 service plan because I bought a Sig and thought that there would surely be several hardware upgrades that I would want. Well, so far everyone has been getting the same service as me, service plan or not. And there hasn't been a single hardware upgrade included with my plan.

So purchasing the 4+4yr plan also means that they're going to retofit your car with the new upgrades? Will you be able to have the lane departure systems and distronic cruise control installed? If that's the case, I might as well just pick up the inventory car they offered me and purchase this plan to get any hardware updates.

So purchasing the 4+4yr plan also means that they're going to retofit your car with the new upgrades? Will you be able to have the lane departure systems and distronic cruise control installed? If that's the case, I might as well just pick up the inventory car they offered me and purchase this plan to get any hardware updates.

Absolutely not. The service plan won't cover any hardware updates. Things like the extra battery plate were done for all customers, regardless of service plan.

Absolutely not. The service plan won't cover any hardware updates. Things like the extra battery plate were done for all customers, regardless of service plan.

Their wording is quite ambiguous and confusing for a reason i guess.

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 1.16.19 PM.png

Their wording is quite ambiguous and confusing for a reason i guess.

View attachment 60087

It is from the perspective that people without getting the Service Plan (either pre-paid or a-la-carte) seem to be getting the same inspections, system monitoring, remote diagnostics and hardware upgrades that I received (new Gen 2 door handles, revised front defroster vent, underbody armor etc). I don't begrudge anyone receiving excellent service from Tesla, but what it means is that I pre-paid a fair amount for wiper blades and key fob batteries. (My brakes are going to last forever anyway - even my last ICE was on the original brakes after 4 years and 80,000 miles). FWIW, I don't regret purchasing the plan and believe it may have also bought me some goodwill with any future issues I may have.

It is from the perspective that people without getting the Service Plan (either pre-paid or a-la-carte) seem to be getting the same inspections, system monitoring, remote diagnostics and hardware upgrades that I received (new Gen 2 door handles, revised front defroster vent, underbody armor etc). I don't begrudge anyone receiving excellent service from Tesla, but what it means is that I pre-paid a fair amount for wiper blades and key fob batteries.

This is exactly right. I didn't pay for "service" that just gives me new wiper blades. Not convinced that having the plan is going to buy me any goodwill, but let's hope it does.

It is from the perspective that people without getting the Service Plan (either pre-paid or a-la-carte) seem to be getting the same inspections, system monitoring, remote diagnostics and hardware upgrades that I received (new Gen 2 door handles, revised front defroster vent, underbody armor etc). I don't begrudge anyone receiving excellent service from Tesla, but what it means is that I pre-paid a fair amount for wiper blades and key fob batteries. (My brakes are going to last forever anyway - even my last ICE was on the original brakes after 4 years and 80,000 miles). FWIW, I don't regret purchasing the plan and believe it may have also bought me some goodwill with any future issues I may have.

Yea, I agree.

On the example of upgraded door handles: they'll give it to anyone that complains. They haven't made the distinction yet between what the "upgrades" are that come with service. I suspect there won't be any exclusive upgrades. All the ones people care about are too costly, and classified as "retrofit".

I haven't decided about buying the service plan. The discount is attractive but I've done these sorts of plans in the past for previous vehicles and felt like I didn't get what I spent out of it. Mostly because I've always felt that the service intervals the plans have are overly aggressive and if you don't bring the vehicle in at the intervals you lose out. 12,500 seems less aggressive to me.

Someone in another thread was saying that the Service Center was saying it doesn't matter what Ownership has said on that, the contract is the contract.

Well, if that was said, it would not hold up to legal muster. If I have a written statement from Tesla Corporate that would supersede anything the service center would be saying. A court would absolutely consider that statement when evaluating a contract.

Does anyone that bought the extended warranty when it was first available have a copy of the original document? The one that's online now is definitely different than the one I saw 20+ months ago. I'm likely mis-remembering, but the deductible is $200 now and I swear it was $100 originally. I've got to have simply remembered wrong...I can't imagine it would have been changed out from under me.

Does anyone that bought the extended warranty when it was first available have a copy of the original document? The one that's online now is definitely different than the one I saw 20+ months ago. I'm likely mis-remembering, but the deductible is $200 now and I swear it was $100 originally. I've got to have simply remembered wrong...I can't imagine it would have been changed out from under me.

I remember the $200 deductible from when I got my extended warranty with my car in March 2013.