Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most logical way of going about it would be to use Chargefox, given that NRMA and Chargefox have overlapping ownership.

Because they're part owners of a charging app that provides that service to third parties? It's not exactly a great advertisement for the service if their own owner won't use it...

Given Chargefox are becoming a backend billing/management operator only and not the operator of the DCFC hardware, I think all Chargefox branding should be removed or become little more than a footnote, and the hardware branding / Apps be that of the CPO (charging point operator) - so customers know who to blame when it doesn’t work.

So NRMA’s decision is right in my view.

Chargefox branding should be removed or become little more than a footnote
It pretty much is.
All these are Chargefox network

IMG_20230816_161138.jpg

I think all Chargefox branding should be removed or become little more than a footnote, and the hardware branding / Apps be that of the CPO (charging point operator) - so customers know who to blame when it doesn’t work.

I don’t think the App Store is ready for a billion charging apps. 😳

My local council would then have a charging app for their free chargers (both fast & level 2)

It pretty much is. All these are Chargefox network

So then why does Chargefox keep calling itself Australia’s largest EV charging network? Can’t have it both ways. In my book either run the network and be responsible for the locations, hardware, maintenance, pricing and uptime - and then you can have your branding all over it and promote yourself as the biggest/best/whatever. Or do the backend stuff, and claim none of that.

Reactions: Hairyman
Given Chargefox are becoming a backend billing/management operator only and not the operator of the DCFC hardware, I think all Chargefox branding should be removed or become little more than a footnote, and the hardware branding / Apps be that of the CPO (charging point operator) - so customers know who to blame when it doesn’t work.

So NRMA’s decision is right in my view.
There is no need to split it out into a dozen or more apps, particularly when some owners might only have one or two sites.

If the owner/operator branding needs to be front and centre, that can be accomplished within the single Chargefox app.

Again, what is the point of single chargers?
Jolt is another one.

Agree wholeheartedly on the single stall problem, however Jolt is a bit of a special case.

Many of their chargers were introduced to get dual purpose out of those mini street substations (big green boxes).

They had the idea to run a charge cable off them. But since these things cannot be moved, usually only 1 stall is possible.

Jolt is a bit of a special case.

Many of their chargers were introduced to get dual purpose out of those mini street substations (big green boxes)
I suspect that the charging is Jolt’s way of grabbing the advertising space. Really, it’s the advertising that they’re after, but they tell the councils that they’re providing charging facilities.

I suspect that the charging is Jolt’s way of grabbing the advertising space. Really, it’s the advertising that they’re after, but they tell the councils that they’re providing charging facilities.

It was hilarious when the ACT revoked Jolt‘s grant to rollout DC chargers in the ACT - due to ”a misalignment between Jolt Charge’s business model and the ACT Government’s position on advertising on public land, the Government made the decision not to proceed with Jolt Charge’s project”

Seriously… didn’t anyone in the ACT’s grant assessment panel look at photos of any of Jolt’s existing sites before awarding them a grant? Talk about not doing your due diligence… 🙄

Reactions: moa999
What was announced today?
Soon, you’ll need the latest version of our app to pay and use an NRMA Electric charger. Think of the app as your one stop shop for all things EV charging that will allow you to:

• Locate your nearest charger
  • Check a charger’s availability in real time
  • Access up to date information on charging speeds
  • Set up preferred payment method in one go to save time
  • Track your usage history and much more.

We’re also introducing costs to use our chargers, to help us maintain and continue to expand the NRMA Electric network.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman