Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No More Topanga Mall Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad he was courteous, but it still seems like the wrong response. Perhaps put up a sign saying permission is required first, there is a time limit, etc. As far as the owners that were abusing it, it's not like they are anonymous... Just make a clear policy on time limits, etc. If someone breaks the policy, it should be like any other illegal parking - ticket or tow! :)

I sure hope the Austin store doesn't cut us off. We were passing through town and got some more juice at the store, but I think I earned every watt by helping out the staff by being "the customer that has purchased one, and can actually talk about pricing/delivery in Texas!" They were doing a test drive event that day, so the whole family joined in. I think my two little girls helped sell at least 3-4 rear facing seat options ;)

Does any other car manufacturer/dealership have gas pumps on their car lots that customers can fill up for free?
They did do things like that in the 19th century when gasoline was a new fuel and hard to get. Not usually free, but car dealerships built their own gas stations to supply their customers. I've read that they didn't always let customers of other dealers use their gas stations, in the early days!

Clearly electricity and electrical outlets is a different ballgame, but let's try and keep things in perspective.
I have strongly recommended the business model of "free electricity, charge for parking if necessary", as it seems to be quite sufficient to prevent abuse, while being helpful to everyone who actually *needs* charging. (This model should probably used at Superchargers if space-blocking becomes too big an issue.)

I guess Tesla can't really do that at its stores due to the way it's using the chargers and spots for inventory. Perhaps a sensible policy would be something like "We may be able to arrange a charge for a road trip if you call 48 hours in advance. We will also offer emergency charging for owners who find themselves caught with very low charge."

Owners plugged in and standing around at a Tesla store are usually free advertising and rather good free advertising -- owners *on a road trip* are better advertising because they're proving that road trips are possible.

I've been to the Topanga store multiple times, there are two other J 1772 chargers for electric cars in the same alcove of the parking structure. You can see a model S plugged-in in the photo. Though charge rate much slower than Tesla high powered wall charger. I agree it's disappointing not to be able to put my Tesla next to others and enjoy an upfront parking spot. However charger abuse is not isolated to this location, at the Hawthorne Supercharger people were leaving their cars for extended periods of time occupying spaces beyond the time needed to complete a charge. As a result of trying to avoid that location.

LAST YEAR I MADE THESE RECOMMENDATIONS TO TESLA HQ:
1. MODIFICATION TO THE TESLA APP TO ALLOW USERS TO COMMUNICATE WITH ONE ANOTHER WHEN CHARGING, LOCATION SPECIFIC. For example at a Tesla plug-in location an owner could post when they're planning to return. In the case of roped off parking spots to prevent ICE abusers (such as in Century City), owner could text store and receive unlock code for the gate or combo-lock on charger. Plus owner could be text messaged through the app reminding them their car has charged, that somebody is waiting for the slot, that the store needs the spot to charge a demo car.

2 App to indicate WHEN THE CAR IS APPROACHING FULLY CHARGED SO THE OWNER COULD RETURN TO FREE UP THE SPOT.

3. App can allow Tesla to monitor abusers or allow others to report charger abuse.

I understand how frustrating it is to drive up, find all slots occupied but three cars out of six no longer charging. Often it's not a big deal, 90% of the time I've got more than enough mileage in the car however driving a Tesla with half of range of my former car and considering life's unpredictability (Like when my son fell in OC at a concert, broke his arm, and I drove an unanticipated 120+ miles), it's always nice to stay near full. This formerly rare event will continue to become commonplace as we add 30,000 model S/year.

Conclusion: It's time to update the app to further support and augment the ownership experience.