Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On our way to Italy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were on our way from Saint Julian en Genevoise SCs to the Chalon Sur SC and it was around 120 miles. On the map most of the roads looked straight and also most of them were three lanes for around 80miles. Thought it is good to try AP for my own sake and see how it performs in France compared to UK. I am sure AP haters / Elon haters on this forum may not agree but it was amazing to drive on those roads with very minimal driver input. It was so relaxed. The AP alert came up twice in those 80 miles. Other than that I could have even worked on my iPad (I didn’t) it was so smooth on those amazing roads.

I understand UK roads will never reach that kind of perfection both in terms of surface and traffic, so if people hate AP and never going to do long road trips in France or other parts of Europe with such good roads then better to switch to other cars than just blaming Tesla and their implementation of AP. AP works but may never work in UK with the level of traffic and uneven roads with so many bends.

Tesla suits very well for its target market unfortunately UK is not one of those countries. Just like absence of stalks - it works very well in their target markets even without it but not in UK.

But an amazing car to do such long trips and still feeling fresh after 8hrs driving.

That was my experience of AP in France also. Please let me get off this prison Island!
The Peage/toll roads are worth every cent.
I am glad we do not have to pay road tax here for the moment.
It will be nice when we have some SCs on the Autoroutes with sign posting like those for Shell/ BP etc. : Tesla 5km/20km.
and of course crossed cutlery.

Last edited:
Reactions: djtaylor
Did a long drive from Troyes to Calais stopped at Aire de Uruvillers for charging (150KW only) then noticed Saint Quentin isn’t too far away and has 250kwh SCs. As Chunnel was busy they were letting anyone who arrived at whatever time to go thro’ - nice touch from the French. Stopped again for a charge at Eurotunnel - France - 6 chargers one BMW and one Model 3 otherwise other stalls were free - a quick charge to 85% - around 0.32€/kwh.

IMG_2361.jpeg

The cheapest I had was at the Saint-Julien-Genevois (0.28€/kwh - 34kwh cost 9.50€) and that had an excellent Marriott bar to go with it (of course the amount we spent in the bar was more than the charging fee - so actually no gain :))

On the whole the charging experience was great and never had to wait other than the initial Folkstone one. France and Italy has so many options and Tesla’s network is so good you do not have to worry about charging. The roads are amazing and AP works as a treat. We have done around 2000miles on the whole and there was just one ‘phantom braking’ episode (was on our way back from Folkstone on the M20 where long roadworks is ongoing for many miles that wholly spoiled the experience of driving without any hassles in France and Italy. The only advantage of that road work was the speed limit was down to 50miles and that saved some energy and had around 37% when I reached home - spent around 50% to do the 140 miles on 23 degrees.

The one thing that could have added little more comfort is if there was a charger before Saint Quentin in France it would ideally suit folks with SR+ & RWD cars without stopping for charge at Folkstone if we are driving from East/Midlands/South east. Tesla maps calculates distance for me as 260miles but ABRP calculates around 220miles - I’ve got to check the finer details to decide whether I can reach Saint Quentin without stopping for charging at Folkstone. Or I have to go to the Boulogne-sur-Mer towards south and charge there and then go towards east if I have to avoid Folkstone.

The other one I noticed was the watts/miles - I was on average using around 260wh/miles in France but this dropped to around 195wh/miles once I reached England. The weather and the temperature remained the same, I guess this takes the inclination and the wind speed as the main factor contributing to the poor watts/miles in France. Also I guess the 50mile speed linit restriction on M20 played a role in improving the efficiency.

On the whole I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again in the same car or the new Model 3 (will prefer the Y as we can load shopping stuff from Maison du Monde at Troyes) if I get the time next year. Again it is an amazing car - other than the initial price you pay for the car I didn’t have to worry about anything in the last 32 months. Even for the long trip the only thing I checked was whether the tire pressure was adequate.

Last edited:
Did a long drive from Troyes to Calais stopped at Aire de Uruvillers for charging (150KW only) then noticed Saint Quentin isn’t too far away and has 250kwh SCs. As Chunnel was busy they were letting anyone who arrived at whatever time to go thro’ - nice touch from the French. Stopped again for a charge at Eurotunnel - France - 6 chargers one BMW and one Model 3 otherwise other stalls were free - a quick charge to 85% - around 0.32€/kwh.

View attachment 970792

The cheapest I had was at the Saint-Julien-Genevois (0.28€/kwh - 34kwh cost 9.50€) and that had an excellent Marriott bar to go with it (of course the amount we spent in the bar was more than the charging fee - so actually no gain :))

On the whole the charging experience was great and never had to wait other than the initial Folkstone one. France and Italy has so many options and Tesla’s network is so good you do not have to worry about charging. The roads are amazing and AP works as a treat. We have done around 2000miles on the whole and there was just one ‘phantom braking’ episode (was on our way back from Folkstone on the M20 where long roadworks is ongoing for many miles that wholly spoiled the experience of driving without any hassles in France and Italy. The only advantage of that road work was the speed limit was down to 50miles and that saved some energy and had around 37% when I reached home - spent around 50% to do the 140 miles on 23 degrees.

The one thing that could have added little more comfort is if there was a charger before Saint Quentin in France it would ideally suit folks with SR+ & RWD cars without stopping for charge at Folkstone if we are driving from East/Midlands/South east. Tesla maps calculates distance for me as 260miles but ABRP calculates around 220miles - I’ve got to check the finer details to decide whether I can reach Saint Quentin without stopping for charging at Folkstone. Or I have to go to the Boulogne-sur-Mer towards south and charge there and then go towards east if I have to avoid Folkstone.

The other one I noticed was the watts/miles - I was on average using around 260wh/miles in France but this dropped to around 195wh/miles once I reached England. The weather and the temperature remained the same, I guess this takes the inclination and the wind speed as the main factor contributing to the poor watts/miles in France. Also I guess the 50mile speed linit restriction on M20 played a role in improving the efficiency.

On the whole I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again in the same car or the new Model 3 (will prefer the Y as we can load shopping stuff from Maison du Monde at Troyes) if I get the time next year. Again it is an amazing car - other than the initial price you pay for the car I didn’t have to worry about anything in the last 32 months. Even for the long trip the only thing I checked was whether the tire pressure was adequate.
Unless I have missed something, your out to Italy and back home was completed in about a week! Some going😀

I was on average using around 260wh/miles in France but this dropped to around 195wh/miles once I reached England. The weather and the temperature remained the same, I guess this takes the inclination and the wind speed as the main factor contributing to the poor watts/miles in France.

I drive at 130KPH in France, and 70MPH in UK ... that makes a fair difference

Also I guess the 50mile speed limit restriction on M20 played a role in improving the efficiency.

That would make a big difference

TeslaFi03.gif

Return from skiing. Initial, down the mountain, then drive-charge on autoroute. the "slope" of the graph in UK is a lot less fuel-consumption than in France

I drive at 130KPH in France, and 70MPH in UK ... that makes a fair difference
Just to avoid confusion for myself I just kept the speed limit at 110kph around 69-72 miles using TACC. So that should have had negligible effect other than the 50miles speed restrictions in UK.

Btw, did anyone changed the speed from mph to kms? I drive for few miles in kms but found very confusing when the map calculated distance etc., so switched back to miles. I wanted to keep the speed limit constant in both countries to keep the factors that modify the efficiency to very few.

Just to avoid confusion for myself I just kept the speed limit at 110kph around 69-72 miles using TACC. So that should have had negligible effect other than the 50miles speed restrictions in UK.

Btw, did anyone changed the speed from mph to kms? I drive for few miles in kms but found very confusing when the map calculated distance etc., so switched back to miles. I wanted to keep the speed limit constant in both countries to keep the factors that modify the efficiency to very few.
I stay in mph but I like the Kms distance signs because Kms come down more quickly😊.
Regarding driving with efficiency in mind which we EVers do to a greater or less manic extent, I spent a lifetime driving ICE vehicles the way I wanted( to within reasonable safety parameters) . Never did mpg influence my driving except when getting low on a D road in mid France on a Sunday afternoon😅.
And now, with cheaper fuel, adequate charging opportunities and effortless speed, I find myself becoming anal on the matter of efficiency .....but I am fighting it😊.

Reactions: spdpsba
Btw, did anyone changed the speed from mph to kms?
I set it immediately upon arrival to the European mainland, although I do feel more familiar with metric measurement than imperial.

Given the speed limit recognition isn't entirely reliable coupled with many countries having a blanket rule that you travel x km/ph through a village/town/city (without providing a speed limit sign upon entry and exit) I'd rather not do the conversion in my head. A reliance on the cars navigation to tell me how far I can go and where I need to stop means I don't miss imperial measurements at all when driving outside of the UK.

I set it immediately upon arrival to the European mainland, although I do feel more familiar with metric measurement than imperial.

Given the speed limit recognition isn't entirely reliable coupled with many countries having a blanket rule that you travel x km/ph through a village/town/city (without providing a speed limit sign upon entry and exit) I'd rather not do the conversion in my head. A reliance on the cars navigation to tell me how far I can go and where I need to stop means I don't miss imperial measurements at all when driving outside of the UK.
Same, I actually find it quite jarring coming back to the UK and having to use imperial.... the insistence on imperial and being in the minority club of driving on the left does limit when and if we get access to new things! Just look as the S and X....

I noticed the car navigation also changed to kms when I changed the speed to kms - how did you get the navigation bits on miles and speed limits on kms?
Sorry, I meant I use the navigation in kilometres as well. I don't see the need to understand distance in miles at all when driving in Europe. The setting to switch units impacts both speed and distance.

Reactions: spdpsba
Same, I actually find it quite jarring coming back to the UK and having to use imperial.... the insistence on imperial and being in the minority club of driving on the left does limit when and if we get access to new things! Just look as the S and X....
There's a whole load of things I prefer about driving in Europe and on the right, not just the units of measurement. But that's for another thread.

I think ~50% of the miles I've driven in my model 3 have been in Europe on the right. A LHD model S or X would probably suit me quite well, alas, not within my price range.

Reactions: djtaylor
A LHD model S or X would probably suit me quite well
I didn’t find the RHD that difficult especially in a model 3. I had difficulties when I rent a car with LHD even automatic in Europe. And of course I have driven my Evoque and Velars in Europe all RHD but still found them bit difficult. Something about RHD model 3 or Teslas in general makes it a lot easier to drive even in LHD market.

I am wondering whether the additional difficulty of using a LHD model s/x in parking lots is really worth?

I just kept the speed limit at 110kph around 69-72 miles using TACC

Fair enough. I expect you were able to maintain that speed for close to 100% of time in France, but I doubt you would in UK ... even at 3AM you'd find 2/3rds of the lanes closed for "maintenance" ...

I am wondering whether the additional difficulty of using a LHD model s/x in parking lots is really worth?

Probably me being thick, but can you clarify pls?