Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model III until 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know this?

I'm pretty sure this is a prediction thread. I posted my prediction. You are welcome to agree, or disagree with it. It isn't as if I have any inside information whatsoever. But I am certain that there is no way in heck the Model ☰ will be delayed until 2019. Except maybe, the Coupe version that I want.

Did you get some information that they have changed the name from Model 3 to Model 'sideways three symbol' too?

I'm pretty sure I have answered this question multiple times, as have others. I expect that Tesla Motors will use the '☰' from the Tesla Logo on the back of the vehicle you term 'Model 3' when it is released. I think that would be cool, because it allows them to use an 'E' while still using a '3', thus giving Ford 'The FiNGER'. I mean no disrespect to you or any other moderators, but I do not understand in the slightest why this bugs you so much. If the vehicle is revealed to have a badge that literally says 'Model 3' upon its reveal, I will use that. Until then, in honor of the erstwhile 'Model E', I will continue to post Model ☰.

The Tesla Model ☰ will reach its first buyers by July 2017. It will be offered as a RWD version with no less than 60 kWh battery pack and a greater than 200 mile range for $34,900. It will be offered as an AWD version with at least an 85 kWh battery pack for perhaps $42,900.

Was going through my files the other day and ran across one of the first Tesla Model S ads, which came out years before the actual car.

Due in 2011! $49,900! (picture of alpha prototype)

Well, THAT didn't happen.

But I still got mine, and I am still enjoying it every day. The AWD version is significantly more expensive. And I'm still waiting for the 105 or 120 kWh battery pack for the S.

I'm not a big fan of the sideways three symbol. Too contrived. I don't imagine most people will remember or care about the Model E name by the time the Model 3 is released.

On topic: Like I said before, the "new tech" in the Model 3 will be the low-cost platform allowing them to profitably build a compelling car at a price that will sell in volume. It's going to be a major challenge to deliver that by 2017.

Frankly, I'd expect more delays, because I just don't think they'll get the pricing down to mass market levels that quickly. What could they do with the batteries while there are delays?

-- increase production of Model S and Model X (which will both still be production limited)
-- produce a new convertible (high-margin car, probably can be done as a modification of the S/X platform)
-- build a pickup truck (again, can probably done on the same 'long' platform, and should be because it needs massive batteries to haul heavy loads)
-- build a van
-- expand the battery supplies at Supercharger stations

A pickup or van gives them the ability to use Tesla vehicles for work vehicles rather than depending on ICEs, and "eating your own dogfood" is important in advertising terms. (Of course, this also depends on having put in enough superchargers.)

...so, basically, there's still a whole bunch of stuff they can do with more batteries which is probably higher-margin than the 'mass market' car, and acts as good advertising too.

-- increase production of Model S and Model X (which will both still be production limited)

Of course. But it is a limit on the volume they are able sell of this high price premium cars.

-- produce a new convertible (high-margin car, probably can be done as a modification of the S/X platform)

Of course. And a wagon, and a coupe and some other variants. But it is still a limit on the volume they are able sell of this high price premium cars.

-- build a pickup truck (again, can probably done on the same 'long' platform, and should be because it needs massive batteries to haul heavy loads)
-- build a van

Yes, this is a posibility. But the pickup they have been talking about would be a bigger platform then the current Gen-II platform of Model S/X. But yes, they may build this on the Gen-II platform as "small pickup/van". But this cars is as price senestive - if not more - then the Model 3 segment, and it still requires the same big batteries as TMS/X. So if getting the Model 3 price down low enough is a problem, how can this be done?

-- expand the battery supplies at Supercharger stations

This is in their plan already. Yes, they may speed up this process, but it's a limit on how many batteries this takes.

ill buy the m3 once a hatch (preferred) or station wagon (less preferred) version comes out. Unless the sedan for some reason is really really compelling.

my take:
i think tesla's next vehicle after m3 should be a pickup. Going for a subcompact or supermini is flawed because:
- the diff in utility/target audience between an m3 size and a subcompact is smaller than between m3 and a full size pickup.
- pickups are not just a NOrth AMerican thing, they're a global necessity
- pickups are a major source of gas guzzling
- pickups have greater margins for tesla
- pickup + CUV + full size sedan + compact sedan/wagon = near complete coverage of the major types of passenger vehicles for most people.

personally, i dont expect a competent pickup EV before 2020.

ill buy the m3 once a hatch (preferred) or station wagon (less preferred) version comes out. Unless the sedan for some reason is really really compelling.

There won't be a Sedan version, just like there isn't a sedan version of the Model S.

There really is no reason to build a sedan. The versatility of a well designed good looking hatchback like the Model S is the best example of this.

I really don't see a difference between a wagon and a CUV/SUV other than names. Can you explain the difference in your mind ? Thanks

This recent article kind of goes into the differences:
http://jalopnik.com/mercedes-and-bmw-are-tricking-people-into-buying-statio-1671846336

The main difference is the height. A wagon is the same height as a typical car (sedan), but a CUV/SUV is significantly taller. However, recently automakers have been selling wagons as CUV/SUVs because of how much the US market hates wagons. Just by calling what's actually a wagon a "sports activity vehicle" or something similar to tie it to CUV/SUVs, it sells a lot better.

This recent article kind of goes into the differences:
http://jalopnik.com/mercedes-and-bmw-are-tricking-people-into-buying-statio-1671846336

The main difference is the height. A wagon is the same height as a typical car (sedan), but a CUV/SUV is significantly taller. However, recently automakers have been selling wagons as CUV/SUVs because of how much the US market hates wagons. Just by calling what's actually a wagon a "sports activity vehicle" or something similar to tie it to CUV/SUVs, it sells a lot better.

OK. I see. So basically Ground clearence ? Now if you can enlighten me on Saloon vs. Sedan I'd be appreciative. :confused: And please don't tell me one is what you drive and the other is where you drink !! LOL