Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation seat retrofit, pics and tinkering with old seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously doubt there's firmware changes needed in the car. As a matter of course, the SC's always flash current firmware for all systems any time they replace electrical components.

Besides, This would be easy to test on WK's car. All he'd have to do is connect the old seat and if it still functions normally, it's doubtful anything changed in the car.

Along the same lines, wouldn't you think that Tesla would mandate that the new seats interface in exactly the same was as the old seats do? Why create two separate interfaces or CAN message protocols to do the same thing?

Maybe the Airbag is in a slightly different position or it has to blow through different material so the delay factor is adjusted in the SRS ECU.

I have been told it has something to do with the airbags also.
My only "disappointment" is the seating. Next Gen should mature and grow up to be standard seats. Which, given the naming, I believe will be so. Else, they would be called "sport" seats.

I have been told it has something to do with the airbags also.
My only "disappointment" is the seating. Next Gen should mature and grow up to be standard seats. Which, given the naming, I believe will be so. Else, they would be called "sport" seats.
We've already seen 2 colours of "Standard" seats discontinued, leaving only next-gen seats in their place. It seems likely that the remaining "standard" seats will also be discontinued in time leaving only next-gen seats.
I suspect the only reason we had the 2 in parallel was to use up old stock, or fulfil contract commitments with an old supplier, as the stock or contract ends we won't see them any more.

I know there has been attempts to pay Tesla to activate the ambient lighting feature / harness in the ECU after delivery and they declined I wonder if it would be the same policy for changing the SRS timing (or whatever is done). One would hope that you could find a pair of next-gen seats, install them yourself and pay for an hour of shop time to have them change the SRS settings but I doubt it.

Yeah, I asked them about the ambient activation as well as for fog lights. They basically just ignored my request; "Still waiting to hear back on that."

This will be figured out eventually. For me, it'll have to wait until after the warranty expires. That's the only lever they have.

<RANT>

I've already received a takedown notice for posting a tiny excerpt from one of their manuals. I don't want to go up against their lawyers which are definitely closely watching these forums. It's a shame that Tesla feels it's more important to pay lawyers to attack us rather than help us. (or at least let us help each other!)

I am biding my time until someone initiates a class-action for denying service information. After all this talk about breaking out of the antiquated dealer model, they've finally proved, at least in some ways, their way sucks.

I've met JB before and it's clear to me that these policies are coming from somewhere else. I think management and their lawyers scare the ever living crap out of their employees so they remain quiet and obstinate when they could be helpful.

I understand that being a public company they have to be extremely careful with anything that could affect their stock price, but once they get hit with a class-action it's going to backfire on them. Never mind that their policies on accident repair are driving repair costs up so high that many are totaled for relatively minor accidents, thus driving up insurance costs and driving down resale value. The only part good for us will be the plentiful availability of used parts from all the salvage cars they refused to re-activate.

Many early cars are going to be coming off warranty soon. They are going to have to fix their policies to make third party repair an option and officially support this. It seems that they are not building SC's fast enough to keep up with demand, so many people have long wait times. They absolutely need to empower owners and independent shops to take some of this load. I'm still waiting to get my car in for minor issues that existed when I first drive it home. They don't even make that a priority! (probably because there are owners with more serious issues stacked up) It definitely soured me on the whole experience. I purchased a Leaf new in 2011 and had zero issues. I never took it in for service, not once. The manuals were downloadable on Nissan's support site for a nominal fee.

Seems to me if they spend a little more in quality control before it leaves production, they could drastically relieve SC pressure as well as improve customer satisfaction.

</RANT>

I don't expect them to help with programming for anything unless they do all the work and overcharge for it. They don't even need to have a car in the SC for changing options, it can be done over the air in a few seconds.

I live in Norway and Europe law says that car manufactures must have the service manuals available, so they do :)

Here is the service bulletin for next gen seats retrofit.

Yep, they have the service info available in the US, but only to residents of Massachusetts due to a law on the books in that state. Everywhere else is denied the info. I have a cousin in MA (who owes me a little money) that lets me use his credit card to snag info from the service site occasionally, though. :p

Those are used, cloth, not motorized, and who knows how old. At $2800 for that junk, $6000 from Tesla for new, leather, motorized, and installed is a great deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with Yobigd20 on this one, the price is absolutely ludicrous. We're not buying seats from Recaro, we are buying them from Tesla. Recaro seats are much higher quality than anything Tesla offers.

Recaro makes the next gen seats for Tesla. I know because I saw the labels on my due-bill seats before they got installed. Someone posted a photo of the same label I saw here:
Proof the Next Gen seats are Recaro

Last edited:
Those are used, cloth, not motorized, and who knows how old. At $2800 for that junk, $6000 from Tesla for new, leather, motorized, and installed is a great deal.

-
for me the seats are so uncomfortable I am very willing to give up motors, heating and anything else just to avoid the discomfort I am having. even on 30+ minutes the seats are giving me sciatica like pains.

I've been waiting for this for so long, but the sticker makes me think twice. The next-gen seat upgrade is the ONLY complaint I have about this car. Maybe I could get them to only do the driver side? Jenky-- but I just want to be comfortable when I drive. I would swap the seat myself but the chances of them activating it for me are probably slim to none under the premise of "safety".

sigh :(

That is interesting. Is that to keep the door panel from flying off in the event of an accident? What is the relation/related change due to the NG seats?

If I had to guess, it's something to do with the interaction of the airbag, the new bolsters, and the trim piece in an accident.

Possibly the new airbag is in a slightly different position? Or the bolster is closer to the door and thus more likely to jar the trim loose?

But this makes it easier to understand why the company wouldn't want to do the re-programming on a seat you swap yourself.