Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 days ago had solar panels and Powerwall 3 installed and I thought it would provide solar right away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
based on what my project advisor and the electrician and panel installers said, but I have no solar that I know of, as I am still using exact same amount of electricity via the smart meter. I am with PG&E and am extremely familiar with my smart meter and I am the type that looks at it several times with different things operating so I know what the usage would be.

While the electrician was here he had me add the product to my Tesla app, and it shows "installation incomplete" as waiting for city to inspect and PGE to do the backup switch and permission to operate. He commented at one point how much charged the powerwall was, and I asked them if I would right then start using solar thus reducing my usage with PGE and the smart meter and I thought they said yes.

The powerwall has a cover on the ON switch not on the OFF switch, which I dont know if I understand that logic, but I suppose I can move the cover if I have to but it appears to be switched on.

The ONLY things added to my main panel is the two breakers for the powerwall or one breaker with 2 switches. There is no PV solar inverter switch that the video on the app talks about as to starting up the program. I think I have deduced based on research that the Powerwall 3 includes the inverter therefore there should not be a breaker on my main panel for it???

I have a call scheduled Monday with project advisor, and hopefully will get my answers, mainly why am I not producing solar to use. Is it because PGE has to install the switch or did the installer forget something?

On app in "settings" then "powerwall" it shows 16% backup and 84% Self-Powered, not sure what this means but I can ask. Under "operational mode" "self powered" is checked. Permission to operate has YES greyed out and NO is lit up. And says right there the powerwall will provide backup and produce solar for the home, but it isn't.

I just was hoping the solar would be working now, so that is what I am asking about, please.

(under advanced options if I tap yes to permission to operate BEFORE i have permission does the next screen allow me another step before that wrong answer becomes official?)

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Also (dont see edit button) the app says my phone is not paired, should I pair it and how? When away from home a couple times the app said the internet connection was down but it was not, not at home anyway. Do I pair the phone using bluetooth, is it a really long number with dashes and letters at the end? KRW at the end...will pairing my iPhone to it interfere with the wifi connection? What reason to do both?

• Informative
Also (dont see edit button) the app says my phone is not paired, should I pair it and how? When away from home a couple times the app said the internet connection was down but it was not, not at home anyway. Do I pair the phone using bluetooth, is it a really long number with dashes and letters at the end? KRW at the end...will pairing my iPhone to it interfere with the wifi connection? What reason to do both?
Pairing is easy….go stand next to a powerwall. On your phone select pair, it will say ready to pair. Then turn the powerwall off and back on. That's it.

Also (dont see edit button) . . . .
Welcome to solar energy and TMC!
The edit button should appear after a few more posts on your part, or becoming a supporting member, which includes extended editing time . . .
(I have no affiliation with TMC other than being a member)

When my solar went live exactly 17 years ago, the one power company guy who did smart meters in the district was on a two week vacation.
The old meter charged Kwh put INTO the grid as well as any drawn out!! :mad:
At least when a smart meter was finally installed, the company checked the inverter and subtracted all the solar Kwh generated from the bill.
Whew! :) I was glad I resisted the temptation to disconnect the inverter. 😇

Last edited:
If your system is new, all the solar could be going to charging up the powerwalls while your home usage is still coming from PG&E.

You should familiarize yourself with the app so that you know how to interpret the solar production, home consumption, and Powerwall energy flows.

Thanks, my app doesnt show any of that in the video at this time, probably because install is incomplete. As to if it is new then only the PW functions if I lose power, hopefully you dont mean while it is charged as they told me that only takes hours. I guess, I hope the reason I have no solar is the backup switch hasn't been installed yet by PGE. Otherwise something is obviously wrong.

So the bluetooth pairing of the phone to the PW is only to take it off grid? What situation would I want to do that?

Without the backup switch the system is unable to monitor what is coming or going to/from the grid. Pairing the phone to the Powerwall is more for when power is off and you have no communication with Tesla mother ship you can see how much battery and solar you have so you can manage your loads appropriately.

• Informative
I would suggest finding out exactly what steps are required to achieve operation with your grid operator, and which of those steps are yet to be completed. My actual operation waited months after installation was 99% complete with the exception of a few actions - PTO issuance, meter swap, and final connection. Then commissioning could happen, operation began, and the app showed all. Much depends on configuration - mine is whole home backup, so grid power final connection is to the Gateway, and the Gateway then powers the house load center with grid, solar, PW, or some combination. Meter swap was required to make those connections.
In your case you probably have one PW3, so partial backup, no Gateway, and therefore the config quite different.
It can be a frustrating process..... was for me, I can assure you.

• Informative
The powerwall has a cover on the ON switch not on the OFF switch, which I dont know if I understand that logic, but I suppose I can move the cover if I have to but it appears to be switched on.
That is to allow locking the unit in the off state.
Anyone can turn it off in an emergency but you don't want anyone turning it on when electrical work is being done.

• Informative
Without the backup switch the system is unable to monitor what is coming or going to/from the grid. Pairing the phone to the Powerwall is more for when power is off and you have no communication with Tesla mother ship you can see how much battery and solar you have so you can manage your loads appropriately.
Thank you...I am also a bit unclear on "BACKUP RESERVE" settings with PowerWall 3. (I might copy paste this to a few of the other answers here just to get as much response as I can, kinda neurotic that way)...

BACKUP vs TIME BASED CONTROL or should I be on Self Powered? "Time based control" says results in lower energy bill, which is what I want, but I would think using the powerwall at night would also do that, sorta confusing. Any input on that is also helpful.

But back to BACKUP RESERVE, my project advisor explained it to me, sort of. So I live in an area where the power will be shut down for up to 3 days but we are told in advance for those, and as to random power outages they are rare. So if I want my PW to be as fully charged as possible for a shutdown, what do I do, for instance lets say I get the notice today from PGE that we will be in a planned outage for a couple days starting tomorrow, or in 2 days, where do I put the BACKUP RESERVE, do I put the backup part to 0 or 10 , is that the direction I want to go to have the most in my PW for a planned outage?

I would suggest finding out exactly what steps are required to achieve operation with your grid operator, and which of those steps are yet to be completed. My actual operation waited months after installation was 99% complete with the exception of a few actions - PTO issuance, meter swap, and final connection. Then commissioning could happen, operation began, and the app showed all. Much depends on configuration - mine is whole home backup, so grid power final connection is to the Gateway, and the Gateway then powers the house load center with grid, solar, PW, or some combination. Meter swap was required to make those connections.
In your case you probably have one PW3, so partial backup, no Gateway, and therefore the config quite different.
It can be a frustrating process..... was for me, I can assure you.
Thanks for responding, please see my response to Tazzman and if you have any input, it would be appreciated, thanks again! As to your comments, the PA told me (Project Advisor) that after PGE installs the backup switch the system MIGHT run LOL but maybe not and if not it wont until the city is done. That could be another couple months, like you said.

In prep for the city I guess I better have carbon monoxide detectors in each bedroom and adjoining area and my wired smoke detectors better be running properly with batteries functioning as backup, as I guess that is part of the inspection, not sure. I have one CM detector in a one story house and I think I need new batteries for the smoke detectors.

Thank you...I am also a bit unclear on "BACKUP RESERVE" settings with PowerWall 3. (I might copy paste this to a few of the other answers here just to get as much response as I can, kinda neurotic that way)...
Backup reserve is the percentage of the battery reserved for backup events. It will never be otherwise used to consume for other financial reasons
BACKUP vs TIME BASED CONTROL or should I be on Self Powered? "Time based control" says results in lower energy bill, which is what I want, but I would think using the powerwall at night would also do that, sorta confusing. Any input on that is also helpful.
If you like money more, then go with time based control. If you dont like money as much as you like the warm fuzzy of using as few kWh as possible regardless of the cost of a kWh at any one time, use Self Powered

But back to BACKUP RESERVE, my project advisor explained it to me, sort of. So I live in an area where the power will be shut down for up to 3 days but we are told in advance for those, and as to random power outages they are rare. So if I want my PW to be as fully charged as possible for a shutdown, what do I do, for instance lets say I get the notice today from PGE that we will be in a planned outage for a couple days starting tomorrow, or in 2 days, where do I put the BACKUP RESERVE, do I put the backup part to 0 or 10 , is that the direction I want to go to have the most in my PW for a planned outage?

Set backup reserve to 100% to have the most battery reserved for a backup event.

That is to allow locking the unit in the off state.
Anyone can turn it off in an emergency but you don't want anyone turning it on when electrical work is being done.
Thanks, my son-in-law has a PW 2 or plus not sure which and the on/off switch is out in the open and different. This cover that we are talking about, I dont see any easy way to flip it up to turn the unit on were it off. Just take a screwdriver or similar and put it thru the hole and pry it up or something? I wish the installer had explained it to me. For now it is turned on I assume. I guess you would have to have a 3 to know what I am talking about.

thanks again.

Thanks, my son-in-law has a PW 2 or plus not sure which and the on/off switch is out in the open and different. This cover that we are talking about, I dont see any easy way to flip it up to turn the unit on were it off. Just take a screwdriver or similar and put it thru the hole and pry it up or something? I wish the installer had explained it to me. For now it is turned on I assume. I guess you would have to have a 3 to know what I am talking about.

thanks again.
I *think* the switch cover is hinged and the bottom part of the lock is stationary. If so, the cover should flip up.

Reactions: LiBeRtAs

thanks again.
Perhaps something in the manual might be of some help: Tesla Powerwall 3 Owner's Manual