Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces Powerwall 3 "DC Expansion"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. I was in the same position as OP last year (awaiting install now, check signature). My DC solar size is 9.315 kW with three Powerwalls. Tesla opted to give me two PW+ (and one PW2) each with a 7.6 kW inverter, for 15.2 kW total AC inverter size instead of just one PW+ (and two PW2) and 7.6 kW inverter size. I suspected at the time this was due to the seemingly large failure rate of the inverters e.g. overheating. My theory was less heat and less time at the max 7.6 kW AC rating would reduce their failure rates. Large DC to AC panel to inverter ratios seemed to be the newest fad/trend over the past years, but they may be a fading fad now.

So if my understanding is correct, what you’re saying makes sense and in theory if one inverter failed, the 2nd PW+ inverter could handle my solar system while waiting for the other inverter to be replaced, no?
I thought about this more and actually only certain panel strings are tied to each inverter, so if one inverter goes down it will limit your system. Maybe that’s just my system design but I don’t think you can tie all strings to one inverter? Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong and am incorrect…

1713222945584.png

I thought about this more and actually only certain panel strings are tied to each inverter, so if one inverter goes down it will limit your system. Maybe that’s just my system design but I don’t think you can tie all strings to one inverter? Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong and am incorrect…

This is correct, each solar inverter is going to have a set of panel strings physically tied into it. So losing that inverter will reduce solar accordingly. The remaining one(s) will keep on trucking though, and charge your batteries / power your home. Same with the Powerwalls. Each Powerwall has its own inverter for its respective battery bank. Losing one simply shifts the load or charging into whichever ones remain online.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeremy3292
This is correct, each solar inverter is going to have a set of panel strings physically tied into it. So losing that inverter will reduce solar accordingly. The remaining one(s) will keep on trucking though, and charge your batteries / power your home. Same with the Powerwalls. Each Powerwall has its own inverter for its respective battery bank. Losing one simply shifts the load or charging into whichever ones remain online.
Ok so I was halfway there lol. It is still good to have two PW+'s with two inverters bc as like you said, if one inverter goes down your whole system doesn't go down (like many on this forum have had with a bad inverter and only one PW+). Thanks for the info

Looks like my system will be similar to yours. I'm very curious to see how 23.49 DC into 20.9 AC feeding my home and 4x Powerwalls will look with different configurations of when/where/how power is distributed. My plan to remove some of our unused refrigerators and other unnecessary electrical loads should help us be green most of the year since the system I am getting is spec'd to include them.
Lots of things come into better focus from observing system operation vs energy useage habits. Since going into operation last June I've done several things to reduce household useage. Easily the biggest step was replacing a straight electric water heater with a heat pump water heater. I've also gained the ability to car charge on excess solar. I had already gone to a higher efficiency heat pump in 2018. My useage in the first year of operation (nearly 10 months in) is trending toward a 27% reduction from the preceeding 12 months. Haven't started into my refrigeration/freezer (2/3) consolidation or heat pump dryer replacement yet, it's higher hanging fruit. Looking like I'm heading toward producing 75% of my useage annually, 6-7 months of self powering.

I came to this conclusion as well. If you’re only getting one PW, then PW3 is definitely a game changer over the PW2/+ and a really nice thing to have. 11.5 kW peak output and 185 LRA is really, really good for only one PW. But since I’m getting three PWs like others here, the peak kW output and LRA ratings don’t matter bc three PWs combined can handle just about anything.
3 PW2 have gotten me thru a 3+ day grid outage with low generation (heavy clouds). But, I already am thinking adding more PW would be good. 2gets you over the threshold of whole house backup, 3 lets you get to the middle of that space, but 6 can actually get you real close to claiming off grid capability if you've got sufficient generation.

Lots of things come into better focus from observing system operation vs energy useage habits. Since going into operation last June I've done several things to reduce household useage. Easily the biggest step was replacing a straight electric water heater with a heat pump water heater. I've also gained the ability to car charge on excess solar. I had already gone to a higher efficiency heat pump in 2018. My useage in the first year of operation (nearly 10 months in) is trending toward a 27% reduction from the preceeding 12 months. Haven't started into my refrigeration/freezer (2/3) consolidation or heat pump dryer replacement yet, it's higher hanging fruit. Looking like I'm heading toward producing 75% of my useage annually, 6-7 months of self powering.
Which heat pump water heater did you get? Since I am in a brand new house (2023 build) it obviously doesn’t make sense to replace the HVAC heat pump, although it is SEER 15 so not awful anyways. However, I was thinking of getting a heat pump water heater even though my water heater is also new with the house. I wouldn’t mind paying for a new heat pump one though since there are ample tax credits and rebates to offset the cost also. This seems to be the next biggest use of electricity I have, especially in the winter and especially since my wife loves a hot shower lol.

Everything else seems de minimis except maybe the clothes dryer, but my washer/dryer are new Whirlpools from last summer so they aren’t horribly inefficient. The washer, fridge, and dishwasher are energy star. We also use the Breville countertop air fryer/oven to cook a lot vs turning on the big oven which obviously saves a lot of electricity.

I was out of town this past weekend and my house used 7 kWh a day while I was gone (spring temperate outside). That seems pretty good to me.

Last edited:
3 PW2 have gotten me thru a 3+ day grid outage with low generation (heavy clouds). But, I already am thinking adding more PW would be good. 2gets you over the threshold of whole house backup, 3 lets you get to the middle of that space, but 6 can actually get you real close to claiming off grid capability if you've got sufficient generation.
Why I love my 7 PW's. I can basically go off grid for like half the year

Why I love my 7 PW's. I can basically go off grid for like half the year
I have a very regular house: 2250 sq ft, 2 stories, all electric, and it’s just my wife and I, no kids so not much hot water use and not that much cooling/heating space, relatively speaking. I still can’t fathom going off grid in the winter. I’m still waiting install (see signature) but PVwatts tells me I’m not getting more than -900 kWh max monthly production in the winter with my 9.315 kW DC panels facing almost directly south (roof space maxed out too). I’m in SC for reference, so not super south like Florida but certainly not mid atlantic or north either for solar production. I used 1500 kWh last December with my thermostat at 68 degrees and also with being gone for a week for the holidays. I just don’t see how you can go off grid unless you have a massively oversized solar array, which may need to be ground mounted as roof space becomes an issue, and like you said 6-8 PW’s. So I’ll be self sustaining in the spring and summer likely, but certainly not in Dec-Feb.

Reactions: aristobrat
Which heat pump water heater did you get? Since I am in a brand new house (2023 build) it obviously doesn’t make sense to replace the HVAC heat pump, although it is SEER 15 so not awful anyways. However, I was thinking of getting a heat pump water heater even though my water heater is also new with the house. I wouldn’t mind paying for a new heat pump one though since there are ample tax credits and rebates to offset the cost also. This seems to be the next biggest use of electricity I have, especially in the winter and especially since my wife loves a hot shower lol.

Everything else seems de minimis except maybe the clothes dryer, but my washer/dryer are new Whirlpools from last summer so they aren’t horribly inefficient. The washer, fridge, and dishwasher are energy star. We also use the Breville countertop air fryer/oven to cook a lot vs turning on the big oven which obviously saves a lot of electricity.

I was out of town this past weekend and my house used 7 kWh a day while I was gone (spring temperate outside). That seems pretty good to me.
To save more energy, I think that you will like a heat pump model, but I would ask how close the water heater is to sleeping spaces. They are noisier.

You might want to double check the energy use on that dryer; is it a pure heat pump or a hybrid model? Whirlpools aren't terribly efficient compared to some others. The best Whirlpool is about half of what Miele and LG offer, though granted about half of a regular dryer.

All the best,

BG

To save more energy, I think that you will like a heat pump model, but I would ask how close the water heater is to sleeping spaces. They are noisier.

You might want to double check the energy use on that dryer; is it a pure heat pump or a hybrid model? Whirlpools aren't terribly efficient compared to some others. The best Whirlpool is about half of what Miele and LG offer, though granted about half of a regular dryer.

All the best,

BG
My water heater is in my attached garage, but it is an unheated/cooled space. It stays warmer than the outside though due to 2 of the 4 walls being conditioned space on the other side, as well as the ceiling which has the master bathroom above. How much warmer it stays is an open question as it does get at or below freezing here in the winter.

The dryer is just not something I’m willing to replace right now as I just purchased it last summer brand new (higher end front loader). I didn’t even know heat pump dryers existed then, maybe they didn’t lol. The water heater seems to be something that uses a lot of energy and that I’d be willing to replace even though my current one is only a year old. My main concern is the garage temperature during the winter. It also gets pretty hot in there during the summer.

My water heater is in my attached garage, but it is an unheated/cooled space. It stays warmer than the outside though due to 2 of the 4 walls being conditioned space on the other side, as well as the ceiling which has the master bathroom above. How much warmer it stays is an open question as it does get at or below freezing here in the winter.

The dryer is just not something I’m willing to replace right now as I just purchased it last summer brand new (higher end front loader). I didn’t even know heat pump dryers existed then, maybe they didn’t lol. The water heater seems to be something that uses a lot of energy and that I’d be willing to replace even though my current one is only a year old. My main concern is the garage temperature during the winter. It also gets pretty hot in there during the summer.
Do you have a "blanket" around the water heater. In your case this would likely help with efficiency quite a bit! Something like this:

1713301944993.png

I got an A. O. Smith 60 gal hybrid water heater. It connects to your existing 30A 240V circuit, and you can run it in 3 modes, resistance heater elements only, hybrid, or only heat pump. Hybrid runs heating elements some if you run the hot water out. It's got an app for IOT control. It's been great. I just keep it in heat pump mode. Makes any resistance element heater look like a pure energy hog in comparison. If your water heater ismin an unheated space, you should consider a blanket like GateFather suggests I would think. And consider hybrid mode on a heat pump water heater for winter season.

I got an A. O. Smith 60 gal hybrid water heater. It connects to your existing 30A 240V circuit, and you can run it in 3 modes, resistance heater elements only, hybrid, or only heat pump. Hybrid runs heating elements some if you run the hot water out. It's got an app for IOT control. It's been great. I just keep it in heat pump mode. Makes any resistance element heater look like a pure energy hog in comparison. If your water heater ismin an unheated space, you should consider a blanket like GateFather suggests I would think. And consider hybrid mode on a heat pump water heater for winter season.
Even a water heater in a conditioned space is significantly warmer than the area around it, and thus the water heater does have significant energy losses. I think that every water heater should have an extra insulation blanket on them. The blankets are cheap, installation is straightforward and the payback time is very, very short.

Getting six inches of insulation on gets the losses down to negligible levels through the walls.

All the best,

BG

Sorry to post a response even futher off topic, but.... While I was advocating an insulating water heater blanket above, with a heat pump water heater it's a little more complicated. The heat pump section sits atop the water tank, and most configs simply extend the diameter of the tank cladding with the heat pump housing, resulting in a taller cylinder. The heat pump accesses the heat sink thru openings in the housing.
So, commercially available preformed insulation blankets won't work unless made specifically for that heater, facilitating air movement thru the blanket. Perhaps, like cell phone covers, model specific blanket are available? A DIY blanket would have to allow this as well, of course. And ideally, the insulation should be between the tank section and the heat pump section anyhow. Due to the higher efficiency of the unit, all in a quest for diminishing returns perhaps? There are also a couple of other considerations about heat pump water heaters that might be pluses or minuses for certain locations, like they cool and dehumidify the space around them. Therefore they need a condensate drain, and maybe a little pump if no handy gravity solution is available. A plus for me, as it eliminates the need for running a power hog of a dehumidifier in my basement during some seasons, and the pump was easily enough fitted. And in unconditioned spaces, will the heat sink contain sufficient heat for operation in colder seasons? Hybrid mode fixes that, but increases power consumption when your solar production is low.
Do your homework, I guess. Most on these forums seem to be the type that would....

Last edited:

All the best,

BG
Following back up as I researched this more. According to energy star, the Whirlpool vented electric dryer I got last year will use 608 kWh per year vs 460 kWh for the heat pump ventless version Whirlpool makes, which apparently is part of the energy star “most efficient” list. 148 kWh annual savings doesn’t seem worth it to me.

In contrast my standard electric 50 gallon water heater will use 3,531 kWh per year vs 1,219 for the 65 gallon Rheem HPWH I’m looking at. 2,312 less kWh annually or almost 200 kWh per month. What a difference that is! Amazing

Reactions: BGbreeder
If you are contemplating changing your water heater you might want to take a look at tankless electric water heaters. You won't be heating 50gal of water 24hrs a day. And you get a constant flow of hot water no matter how much you need. No running out of hot water. They are easy to install and take up less space.

If you are contemplating changing your water heater you might want to take a look at tankless electric water heaters. You won't be heating 50gal of water 24hrs a day. And you get a constant flow of hot water no matter how much you need. No running out of hot water. They are easy to install and take up less space.
Yeah but they provide virtually zero energy savings over a tank water heater.