Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No thanks. It's not a roadster, and the styling is rather bland.

I think that anyway Tesla should produce a car like this to be competitive with other automakers. Maybe that it will not be next gen Roadster. I think that a car of this kind could be produced in the frame of Tesla Gen III like the BMW 4 series is actually a variant of the BMW 3 series. If such were the case it would be even better because maybe in 2016-2017 we could get it. Don't you think so?

Next Gen Roadter is more like this

cool2.jpg

But with a small backseat like Porsche or the new Lotus.

Attachments

• maclaren.jpg
    maclaren.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 442
I think that anyway Tesla should produce a car like this to be competitive with other automakers. Maybe that it will not be next gen Roadster. I think that a car of this kind could be produced in the frame of Tesla Gen III like the BMW 4 series is actually a variant of the BMW 3 series. If such were the case it would be even better because maybe in 2016-2017 we could get it. Don't you think so?
We don't get the Gen3 until 2016-2017 so I don't expect to also get another variant of that in the same time frame. Maybe a few years after that.

What is it with the 2+2 talk? Then it would not be a roadster!!! That's an entirely different class if car.
I think people are talking about a spiritual successor to the Roadster. It might not even be called Roadster (but rather Model R or something like that). If I recall correctly, when Elon invested in the Roadster, what he really wanted was something like the 911 (with the two small rear seats for his kids).

There's really two possibilities I see:
1) A whole line-up like the 911 (with a wide price range with a base price well below $100k)
2) A supercar (top of the line halo car with a $100k+ base tag)

Realistically, I think option 1 makes more business sense.

I doubt they'll have to tackle the million dollar plus McLaren to make a successful Roadster. I would imagine they hope to sell more than 375 of them. I do hope, however, they don't make the next gen Roadster "affordable" for the masses. I prefer it stay in Ferarri/Lamborghini/Porsche land.

I agree they shouldn't have to go after the $1 million price point. With two electric motors and a light car they could probably beat it for less than 1/5th that price easily. Their first effort got down to 3.7 seconds so not out of reach.

I think they need to stay in 911 price territory. Granted that's from 84-180k but I feel that there is a sweet spot of 911-price buyers Tesla could attract with a more comfortable car than the Roadster. People like me who need to be on conference calls while driving to and from work. Those folks who are slightly older... slightly rounder... those are the ones w/ money to spend.

I'm with Strider on every point (including being older and rounder!).

Tesla is still a small company, and putting a ton of resources into a car with very limited sales does not make sense. Trying to be the all-time fastest (like beating 2.8 in 0-60) or whatever superlative metric is no longer essential, and may not be a very good investment of time and resources. We know that Tesla understands the incredible power of parts commonality and product-line extension, so I'd suggest that attacking the 911 line of cars (from the basic Carrera to the fire-breathing Twin Turbo) should be the goal: build a line of cars based on the same chassis and shape, but at different levels of performance/trim/price to maximize the size of the target market. And definitely, make sure that some of those variants are convertibles!!!

And yes, I would solidly choose a 2+2 over a pure two-seat Roadster... I think the sales gained by having the minimal back seat and some trunk space will far outweigh the sales lost to purists who demand a two-seat car. We want to compete with Porsche, who sells 100K cars a year, and not with Ferrari who sells less than 10K cars a year.

Note that, as long as the product-line variety I suggested above is met, perhaps one of those variants could be a very light, very powerful two-seat roadster for those people who do actively want to compete with Ferrari and who want a "halo car". Nothing wrong with that... but by no means should that car be the only one in the next-gen roadster line.

I think they need to stay in 911 price territory. Granted that's from 84-180k but I feel that there is a sweet spot of 911-price buyers Tesla could attract with a more comfortable car than the Roadster. People like me who need to be on conference calls while driving to and from work. Those folks who are slightly older... slightly rounder... those are the ones w/ money to spend.

I agree. The Roadster is great but a very limited market. Even at that very high price point there are people willing to spend that kind of money if the car can be semi-practical on a daily basis. I know many people use the Roadster as a daily driver (I did for 2 years) but many people won't even consider buying something like a Roadster. A 2+2 that tears up the road would have a broader appeal.