Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner charging primer (US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone please provide a primer on the actual use of public charging stations?

Specifically, do you need a card or fob or some sort of subscription to one or more providers?

Or can you just connect with the J1772 and, perhaps, use a credit card?

In NorCal you almost always use ChargePoint.

You get a little card from them.

Swipe the meter, the charging handle releases.

Attach the adapter, plug in.

When leaving, swipe card again.

Remove from vehicle, remove adapter and re holster charging handle.

Done.

Could someone please provide a primer on the actual use of public charging stations?

Specifically, do you need a card or fob or some sort of subscription to one or more providers?

Or can you just connect with the J1772 and, perhaps, use a credit card?
There really should be a wiki (or a section in an existing wiki) on this.

Just a data point...

Every time I hear of a brand of charger that's in my state or neighboring states (I don't plan to cross several states in the near future by car), I check out how much it costs to get the card/fob at the base level. In all cases so far the up-front cost is $30 or less. In such cases, I just buy/order the card/fob so I have it available. The only 3 I have so far are Blink, ChargePoint, and AeroVironment. I haven't heard others mentioned recently, but I try to keep my ears up as other ones are mentioned.

This is a good thread, and I second the wiki suggestion.

So, along those lines, if you DON'T grab the card/fob ahead of time ( I assume that's an internet order?), what do you do if you find yourself stuck somewhere and need a charge? Can you typically buy one locally to use, or are you out of luck?

Seems silly to not have some mechanism to be able to swipe a credit card locally to use one... especially if you are stuck at 2AM somewhere and you need an emergency juice up. (Or any other number of methods: a webpage/app that generates a one time code you enter locally, etc...)

So, along those lines, if you DON'T grab the card/fob ahead of time ( I assume that's an internet order?), what do you do if you find yourself stuck somewhere and need a charge? Can you typically buy one locally to use, or are you out of luck?

Exactly my concern. I do not expect to ever use a pubic charger but was wondering what i would do if I miscalculated and found myself out somewhere without enough charge to get home.

This is a good thread, and I second the wiki suggestion.

Seems silly to not have some mechanism to be able to swipe a credit card locally to use one... especially if you are stuck at 2AM somewhere and you need an emergency juice up. (Or any other number of methods: a webpage/app that generates a one time code you enter locally, etc...)

I think Chargepoints can be activated / paid for with any "touch to pay" / RFID credit card, in addition to their own activation card. Don't know if the rates are the same. You can also call the 1-800 number on the charger to activate it over the phone.

But really, as an EV driver, it's your responsibility to be prepared and one of the ways to do that is to look at your local charging infrastructure (or the infrastructure of any locale that you plan to travel to) and plan accordingly (order the cards in advance!). For my area, I have Chargepoint, Blink, and Better Place (now OpConnect).

Oh right, I forgot to mention...

• AeroVironment - Currently free. If you don't have the fob, you can call them to activate it for you. Fob just saves you the time of a phone call.
  • Blink - If you have access to a web browser (see Tesla Model S :) ), you can pay via credit card for one time use. Setting up an account ahead of time saves you some on the rate, and some time doing the web browser dance.
  • ChargePoint - (Haven't tried using without card.)

If you travel into Quebec, you will want a card for Le Circuit Electrique. This is a bit of a pain to get because they only ship to Canadian addresses, but the CAA is helpful.

In the Philadelphia area, SEMAconnect is worthwhile getting.

I tuck cards for these and Blink in the little pouch on the leading edge of the driver's seat. The ChargePoint card lives on my key ring, as I use it several times each week at my office garage. Sure, I could charge at horn, but why pass up free energy?

Thanks for the pointers on these... I went ahead and ordered a chargepoint card so that way I'd have it if I needed it in a pinch.

The ChargePoint card lives on my key ring, as I use it several times each week at my office garage. Sure, I could charge at horn, but why pass up free energy?

Out of curiosity, how much demand is there for charger usage where you work? Are other folks who als charge that you have to coordinate with?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, how much demand is there for charger usage where you work? Are other folks who als charge that you have to coordinate with?

Thanks.

I park at the Boston Common Garage (a few blocks from Robert). There are 4 EV Charging spots and I've only ever see 2 of them occupied (myself + another MS). My cousin (Leaf/Volt/MS in 3 weeks) parks in a garage across the water and unless she arrives super early (before 8), she is unable to charge.

in short: demand depends on where you park :)

My cousin (Leaf/Volt/MS in 3 weeks) parks in a garage across the water and unless she arrives super early (before 8), she is unable to charge.

Is that because people tie up the chargers all day getting an actual charge? Or are they just leaving cars there regardless of if they are finished? Or is there traffic in and out of those spots all day?

Is that because people tie up the chargers all day getting an actual charge? Or are they just leaving cars there regardless of if they are finished? Or is there traffic in and out of those spots all day?

Hard to tell, but I believe people just leave their cars plugged in all day (I'm part of this problem too - and plan to leave my # on my car for others to call if they need to charge). I'll ask my cousin or more specific information, but I believe it is the same cars parked every day.

Aren't these plugs only 120 volt? How many miles per hour can you get off this plug?

Sorry, I'm not sure which "these plugs" you're talking about. Most commercial chargers are 208/240 depending on where they're installed. If the plug is 120V and is on a dedicated circuit you can get about 5 mph. More common is 1 or 2 mph..

Sorry, I'm not sure which "these plugs" you're talking about. Most commercial chargers are 208/240 depending on where they're installed. If the plug is 120V and is on a dedicated circuit you can get about 5 mph.More common is 1 or 2 mph..
Have you (or anybody) ever gotten 5mph at 120vac?

As far as I know, the S will limit to 12A when connected to a 120v source, even if you have a dedicated 20a (or 30a via TT-30 adapter).

The most I've ever seen is 3mph.

If the plug is 120V and is on a dedicated circuit you can get about 5 mph.
Mathematically speaking this is VERY generous rounding up from 4.5, IIRC.

I've never seen 4. I've seen 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

I've added the last two columns.

VOLTS/AMPSKILOWATTSMILES OF RANGE
PER HOUR OF CHARGE
KILOWATTS
UNROUNDED
Wh/mi
(KU/MORPHOC)
NEMA 5-15Standard Outlet110 V / 12 A1.4 kW51.32264
NEMA 14-50RVs and Campsites240 V / 40 A10 kW319.6309
NEMA 6-50Welding Equipment240 V / 40 A10 kW319.6309
NEMA 10-30Older Dryers240 V / 24 A5.8 kW185.76320
NEMA 14-30Newer Dryers240 V / 24 A5.8 kW185.76320

Notice that the rounding is somewhat generous with the x-50 receptacles and very generous with the x-15 receptacle.

They should have simply said 4 for the 110V case, as the Wh/mi would have been 330 and more realistic for any "safety code compliant" power source of 110V/12A.

Mathematically speaking this is VERY generous rounding up from 4.5, IIRC.

I've never seen 4. I've seen 3.

Let's try some actual math. It's fun!

120V * 12A = 1.44kVA
Tesla claims 85% charge efficiency so about 1.22kWh/h
Depending on the specific Tesla you have, rated range is as low as 300Wh

Anything above 4 miles charged per hour on 120V is not creative rounding but simply wrong. Or more than 12A which the Model S doesn't support on 110/120V.

120V * 12A = 1.44kVA
See my post above. Note that Tesla's page (included in that post) says 110V not 120V.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything above 4 miles charged per hour on 120V is not creative rounding but simply wrong.
There's some gray area here.

Rated: 85 kWh / 265 mi = 320.75 Wh/mi
Ideal: 85 kWh / 300 mi = 283.33 Wh/mi

110V @ 12 A --> 1.32 kW

Rated mph charging: 1320W / (320.75 Wh/mi) = 4.11 mph
Ideal mph charging: 1320W / (283.33 Wh/mi) = 4.65 mph

For the Rated, "4mph" is simply incorrect. For Imaginary...err Ideal, "5mph" can be justified as rounding up.

Those reports of "I got 5mph on a normal outlet"? I bet breakfast at next year's Teslive that the person had the setting on "Ideal".