Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Model 3 performance is what it should have been from the start, Performance Seats, some subtle styling differences from the RWD/LR, adaptive suspension, carbon interior strip.

Just because I am always on the pessimist side, and want companies to do better.

- The rear seats have not been styled to suit the front seats.
- Looks like the front seats are missing the Alcantara bolsters from the new Model S seats, and full Alcantara would have been even better.
- I really don't get the lacking of black headliner.
- Would have liked to see a coloured strip or something on the belts.

- Still like what Hyundai has tried to produce with the Ionic 5n, something that really attempts to attract the car enthusiast. People can laugh at the fake gear changes etc, but really, that's what evokes passion when driving a fast car, and you can switch it off completely. Even reviews from passionate motoring journos praise it.

However, I can forgive most of this simply for the very very sharp pricing of the Model 3P.
Interesting that the new m3p has definable regen too.. like an easy slider.. wonder if that will make its way to other m3h?
I’d probably just leave it on max tho haha, I’m loving single pedal driving!

definable regen
I'm not convinced about the utility of definable regen. One pedal takes car of all that.

People complain of gear shift slider but they want a regen slider?. So one slider no good but another slider good?.

I can see situations where a regen is user adjusted down but in an emergency max braking is required but regen is not at max setting. Trying to slide the regen up while max braking and steering is not going to be a good scenario for me.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
So the AU one is a little slower?
Where would I find this information?
The Model 3 Performance page on the Tesla Australia website quotes power output at 460hp, the US quotes 510.

The discussions in the main Model 3 page say the US cars are getting a US produced Panasonic 2170 (I think NCA) pack and the ROW will get a Korean LG 2170 (I think NMC) pack.

The new car will accelerate a bit faster than the old M3P.

I’ve found it a bit hard to interpret just what the difference between the new US car and the new ROW car is. Mainly because one is quoting 0-60mph - ie 0-96kph - and the other is 0-100kph. They also mention drag time measures with a 1 foot rollout and then discussions start to tie themselves in knots about whether this is appropriate or not in the classical “but someone is wrong on the Internet” fashion.

I got my M3P in September 2019 and I find the acceleration in Sport brutal as it is. The main thing for me about the new car will be the improved handling and the better interior.

I’ll wait for the Australian car to become available with a 19” rim and then face the tricky choice of Performance vs LR based on the seats and the handling. I’ll be glad of your thoughts when your car arrives.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced about the utility of definable regen. One pedal takes car of all that.

People complain of gear shift slider but they want a regen slider?. So one slider no good but another slider good?.

I can see situations where a regen is user adjusted down but in an emergency max braking is required but regen is not at max setting. Trying to slide the regen up while max braking and steering is not going to be a good scenario for me.
Yep I’m happy with it on max, was just curious that it can be defined. Maybe people driving on tracks want it? Dunno :)

Reactions: Jules22
People are now complaining about the horsepower difference between the Fremont and Shanghai models.

Someone then said
"Don't worry, Tesla will release an Acceleration boost - for a small fee"

🤣
I’m new to this game but have found the combination of quick acceleration and silence a bit of a hazard for pedestrians who seem to nonchalantly just walk out onto a road without looking while I’m seeing the stars fly by like the USS Enterprise in time warp.
Can only imagine what you guys with LR and P get to experience!

Reactions: Jules22
I’m new to this game but have found the combination of quick acceleration and silence a bit of a hazard for pedestrians who seem to nonchalantly just walk out onto a road without looking while I’m seeing the stars fly by like the USS Enterprise in time warp.
Can only imagine what you guys with LR and P get to experience!
Have a 2019 P. 155k+ on the odo. No weird sounds emitted going forward or in reverse (apart from tyre noise).

Can't say I've noticed it once. Also haven't splattered any deaf or blind people.

Reactions: dronus

Biggest issue with a Tesla from that fine tuned driver aspect is that a Tesla doesn't have blended bakes. Eg, the brake pedal is only connected to the friction brakes. On other brands, the brake pedal can control regen and friction brakes. That way you can choose zero re-gen on the accelerator and still regen on the brake pedal.

Obviously lowering the regen on a Tesla reduces re-gen braking and efficiency, which is likely why they removed the low regen option on many vehicles.

I am going to guess that a blended braking system is MUCH harder to get right, but when done correctly, offers much more adjustability for the interested driver. Even not in performance driving, I sometimes get a little over having to press the accelerator when going down hill just to keep speed, which is ultimately telling the drive computer "less regen".

• Disagree
Reactions: bingbung00
Yep I’m happy with it on max, was just curious that it can be defined. Maybe people driving on tracks want it? Dunno :)
Indeed, track / road course. When you're fighting battery and/or motor overheating, being able to turn off regen is important.

Additionally, I've noticed that on some stretches of courses I tend to "accidentally brake" (even 11+ years into driving exclusively Tesla) when I really want to "be neutral" on stretches if I don't turn off regen. Double-whammy of decelerating and heating up the motor (and perhaps battery).

• Informative
Reactions: dronus

Brakes alone are capable of locking up the wheels. You do not need regen for maximum braking in an emergency. Max braking occurs just before the wheels lock up. Which is what ABS, Anti-lock Braking System, is for. It gives you maximum braking for the given tyres and road surface.

Reactions: Quickst