Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla quits Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries 7/3/24 effective June 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't help but wonder if this is a long-term bad move: Live: ASX to follow Wall St bounce as Fed says rates will fall this year, ACCC flags supermarket scrutiny as top priority

Apparently, Tesla is going to quit the FCAI due to the announcements and behaviours of the group.

One wonders whether this will reduce their ability to influence the group in the right direction.

"More to Follow" per the article.

If the FCAI is doing something deceptive, good on Tesla for calling them out :)

Hopefully the ACCC has grown some teeth and isn't controlled by some other lobby group :)

Watching to see how this unfolds :)

There is so much disinformation and fake news out there on everything. Hard to judge what's accurate and what's not. We are living in a dangerous world.
So true. Society is conditioned to believe what they are told and dont question let alone query most of the stuff they are told by random people on the internet.

Can usually follow the money to see what is at play behind the scenes.

News just in… Tesla has quit the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI), saying it has serious concerns about the FCAI’s public comments on the government’s proposed fuel efficiency standard, and it believes the FCAI has made “false and misleading” statements that the introduction of a proposed fuel efficiency standard would significantly drive up the price of cars for Australian consumers.

Tesla will cease to be an FCAI member at the end of June. It will also presumably mean that Tesla will stop reporting its sales figures to the FCAI after that date.

This is a big blow to the FCAI. Not only is Tesla becoming one of Australia’s largest selling car brands, it means the FCAI loses Tesla’s membership revenue. And if other car manufacturers follow suit and leave the FCAI, it could be the end of the FCAI as we know it.

Well I applaud Tesla and Polestar for making a stand. It's so rare that the entrenched lobby groups which get preferential access to government are held to account publicly. I certainly hope some others join them and form a new body, although the thin local representation of particularly Tesla makes me think that may not happen. You would hope that BYD, those manufacturers already in support of the proposals (like Kia) , and those pushing hard in the EV/hybrid space (for example Mercedes at present) could also rebel and put an alternative vision and prediction of future impacts for the three proposals.

We are so far behind the rest of the world in emission standards and as a result get ignored and put at the end of the queue for new models, smarter tech and cheaper cleaner running. Had a holiday in UK last year and was amazed at how zippy and fuel efficient our rental car was, a model not even available here.

I could see some of the others following, either because they're pushing EVs or just to stick the boot into Toyota.
To my knowledge Volvo Cars (who has announced they'll be EV only in Australia by 2026) and Jaguar Land Rover (who are planning to cease ICE manufacturing for Jaguar models this year - Land Rover not far behind) are the closest to officially going "all-in" on EVs in Australia. Even if their timelines slip, or if they regress to counting PHEVs or similar, they'd be supportive of Tesla/Polestar's actions and would really be a sign that FCAI are in trouble.

Reactions: dronus and B3AU
To my knowledge Volvo Cars (who has announced they'll be EV only in Australia by 2026) and Jaguar Land Rover (who are planning to cease ICE manufacturing for Jaguar models this year - Land Rover not far behind) are the closest to officially going "all-in" on EVs in Australia. Even if their timelines slip, or if they regress to counting PHEVs or similar, they'd be supportive of Tesla/Polestar's actions and would really be a sign that FCAI are in trouble.

If a third one goes, I think it would be Volvo next. Then it would be on for young and old. BYD is not an FCAI member so can’t jump. What about SAIC/MG? Hyundai would possibly jump, then Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar Land Rover. It might not happen in the next few days, as a decision like that would need to be blessed by their respective corporate HQs, and that will take a little bit of time. Maybe a few weeks.

But as more leave, the remainder have a significant PR issue to deal with - do they want to look like they are living in the past and want to protect their ability to pollute, or do they want to look like the “new breed” and are committed to cleaning up their fleet? In other words, aligning deeds and action with what they want their public perception to be?

Grab the popcorn 🍿, people! This is going to be a fascinating few weeks.

Reactions: dronus

Although to be fair, what “concerns” Volkswagen in this report is the prospect of Tesla ceasing to report it sales figures (Tesla has already said it will continue to report its sales figures, just not to the FCAI).

So Volkswagen, at this stage, hasn’t said it is “concerned” about the FCAI’s public narrative on the fuel efficiency issue, which could be a trigger for it to quit. So I think this report has put an unwarranted and arguably misleading spin on what was said.

Let’s wait and see.

Reactions: dronus