Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 20" Wheels & Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see. That's a bummer about power limiting after 1-3 laps. That's no fun. I guess its still gas powered cars for track work.
You should definitely do one track event in the car... it's an amazing, fun track car, especially considering its weight. The instant, on-demand torque... on every corner-exit and long straight is something you have to experience. But no, it's not going to become your 'regular' track car. Given your location, ACS would be a great, convenient track to try.

I see. That's a bummer about power limiting after 1-3 laps. That's no fun. I guess its still gas powered cars for track work.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy an extra ICE car as a track toy. Maybe if I could trade in our minivan for one. :) I'm probably going to participate in a few Time Attack events next summer. Unfortunately I can only get 1 good timed lap in (while others have 3), I'll just have to make sure my first lap is perfect!

Really though I'm hooked on electric drive now. If only that Merc SLS electric were a little less expensive...

Can I replace my 21" wheels with 20" with no issues? I am frustrated with missing wheel alignments on 21" and wondering if 20" tires will be cheaper and longer lasting! Please see the picture of my wheel alignment below.
Tesla wheel alignment.jpg2.png

Tesla

Can I replace my 21" wheels with 20" with no issues? I am frustrated with missing wheel alignments on 21" and wondering if 20" tires will be cheaper and longer lasting! Please see the picture of my wheel alignment below.

was it just off once or has this happened several times now? aka are you saying it keeps knocking out of alignment after getting alignment fixed?

Can u post a pic of your MS from that side? Your wheels look great as well. Where can you find them/ what are they called? Thx! Keith

Scratch that. Sorry I see you pics now at the top of the thread. Looks great! Did you consider 255/35'S at all? I just feel the 21" tesla wheel/ tire combo looks much better than the 19" wheels. In particular I'm not a fan of the larger sidewall and the fact that the tire/ wheels don't have a wide enough profile. Ie stock 19" aren't sporty enough for me. I am concerned about potholes and snow here in NJ but am trying to get the best combination of sport and performance. The

Scratch that. Sorry I see you pics now at the top of the thread. Looks great! Did you consider 255/35'S at all? I just feel the 21" tesla wheel/ tire combo looks much better than the 19" wheels. In particular I'm not a fan of the larger sidewall and the fact that the tire/ wheels don't have a wide enough profile. Ie stock 19" aren't sporty enough for me. I am concerned about potholes and snow here in NJ but am trying to get the best combination of sport and performance. The
I did not consider 255/35s as I wanted to stick to stock height or a little taller. 255/35/20 is 3/4" shorter than stock... too short for me.

Who did this wheel "alignment"? It is horribly out of spec, if the measurements are correct, and you should get that fixed before pondering what wheels to put on. If you go to 3rd party shop, they won't be able to fix the camber (nor should you even pay for the job you posted). Tesla now can fix out-of-spec camber with new bolts. See posts in the thread by @dreamin quoted above.

You should definitely do one track event in the car... it's an amazing, fun track car, especially considering its weight. The instant, on-demand torque... on every corner-exit and long straight is something you have to experience. But no, it's not going to become your 'regular' track car. Given your location, ACS would be a great, convenient track to try.

I'll try to get it out to the track at some point. I have a track prepped E36 M3 that spends too much time in the garage as it is because I'm too busy with work to get to the track often anymore. When I actually have time to get to the track I want to make sure I can get plenty of full session in or I'm instructing and I need a car I can use to take students out. 3 laps is like warmup, hot lap, cool down. If you have to teach that's not enough session time to demonstrate to students. Maybe I can get my wife to drive the Tesla to the track at some point...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I can bring myself to buy an extra ICE car as a track toy. Maybe if I could trade in our minivan for one. :) I'm probably going to participate in a few Time Attack events next summer. Unfortunately I can only get 1 good timed lap in (while others have 3), I'll just have to make sure my first lap is perfect!

Really though I'm hooked on electric drive now. If only that Merc SLS electric were a little less expensive...

If you really get serious about the track you'll find an inexpensive track car can be a better proposition than tracking a large expensive sedan. Model S tires and brakes aren't cheap. You can buy a track prepared Miata, BMW E30, or E36 for almost the price of a set of wheels and tires for a Model S. Consumables will be much cheaper on any of those cars and if you have an off track excursion you'll be happy is was not in your pricey Model S.

was it just off once or has this happened several times now? aka are you saying it keeps knocking out of alignment after getting alignment fixed?
My car has new tires and this is the first time I am going for alignment. After reading several posts I wanted to check the alignment before it is too late and found out about my issues. I hope it will stay aligned after my trip this week.

I like the look. A question???

Looks like the diameter of the tire is "taller" than oem. I have 20's myself. 245/40/20 front, 275/35/20 rear. That aspect ratio was needed to keep the speedometer calibrated within 3% of oem. Is your speedometer off?

john

- - - Updated - - -

I just was that it was .3 inch difference. Just looks more...
my bad

John.. I have put in the order for the same setup on discount tires for 245/40/20 20x8.5 front and 275/35/20 20x10 rear.. Can you show some pics of what your car looks like? Excited to see what mine will look like. Thanks.

KeithE: Looks beautiful! After driving on 20's for a while how do you like them? I'm considering doing the same for commute purposes.

Also, do you have the coil suspension, or air? If air, what setting is this on? I'm trying to get a feel for how high the car rides with 20 inch wheels and 40 or 35 tires, and what kind of fender gap there might be, and if I might considering lowering it.

Thanks and again, car looks awesome!!

Ended up changing my rear wheels from 20x9 to 20x10 / 38mm offset and 285/35/20 Pilot Super Sports. No rubbing on inside or outside (tested with tape).
Two reasons: The rears just needed to be wider to properly fill up the wheel wells. And I plan to lower/stiffen my suspension, so I will eventually need the extra rear grip.
Tested this setup on track and am very happy with it.

Rear wheels
View attachment 36234

Full track review coming soon.

Dreamin, you car looks great! Thanks for posting the pics. Could you post a couple more shots of the rear tire and wheel well, with the top of the wheel well in view, and perhaps from dead behind so we can see how it fits in the wheel well? What made you select +38? Seems to be about a 50/50 split between +35 and +38. Yeah, only 3mm LOL, but...

Last edited: