Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I got my teenager into a 2014 Focus ST that has 252 HP and 270 lb-ft of torque and now of course I cannot convince him to get into something slower :rolleyes: At one point I suggested to get him into a brand new Civic and he was really very very pissed off. He wants to keep and maintain the ST. So I learned the hard way that the starting point is important. I have only one kid, so no other chance to correct my mistake in the future :)

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude and vickh
FWIW, I got my teenager into a 2014 Focus ST that has 252 HP and 270 lb-ft of torque and now of course I cannot convince him to get into something slower :rolleyes: At one point I suggested to get him into a brand new Civic and he was really very very pissed off. He wants to keep and maintain the ST. So I learned the hard way that the starting point is important. I have only one kid, so no other chance to correct my mistake in the future :)
I was surprised a Focus would be so desirable or had that kind of HP so I looked up some local listings and found this photo that caught my eye.
Kind of missing the Standard:

1690842926576.png

i hear ya. My cousin got a BMW M3 as his first car. Spoilt for the rest of his life :)

My counter to that point is Tesla is "cheap" compared to a new Corolla. Just got off the phone with GM. He gave me the run around with OTD price. Games I don't like playing and why I like TSLA

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

Makes no sense to pay that much for a Civic/Corolla Hybrid.
The decision is yours and yours alone. Keep in mind how often(and soon) a teens' 'first car' is involved in a wreck and plan accordingly.

Reactions: WyoDude
I was surprised a Focus would be so desirable or had that kind of HP so I looked up some local listings and found this photo that caught my eye.
Kind of missing the Standard:

View attachment 961212
I had a Ford Fiesta ST that I traded in on our first Tesla 2017 MS 75 RWD. What an awesome fun machine. Recaro race seats, 6sp, turbo.

Cutting it up on the Tail of the Dragon.
3247964-129Slayer.jpg
I would recommend this to any teenager. Not stupid fast and easy to work on.

Reactions: Mayer and XPsionic
Yep what every kid wants to hear, "Here is your old beater
a case of oil when the rings start to go , a set of craftmans
tools and a few bars of lava had soap" . It thats not bringing
back the worst of the 1980's.
Good times. I miss those days. I never received my own tools but received my share of yelling from dad because I didn't put something back right where it went. ...

Reactions: DocHolliday
Good times. I miss those days. I
I do too, Laying on the street and stabing a trany after a cluch job at midnight
with a flashlight. Beer was always free. It was kinda like a concert and
I was the star, lots of folks hanging out going Oh wow its fixed.
Today cars are to drive not hold keg parties to fix them.
Forgot timing chains, sorry.
Never mind

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

Makes no sense to pay that much for a Civic/Corolla Hybrid.
My daughter is 14 and will need a car in a few years, so I originally thought I would replace my aging BMW with a civic touring or hybrid. Then I would hand it off to her and get a Tesla in a few years for myself. Dealer pricing on civics made that plan just not make sense. I then looked at the accord hybrid, which can be gotten somewhat cheaper because its ugly :), but the RWD was still much cheaper, especially after the discount. I ended up getting the RWD for myself, and we'll hope the used car market has returned to some measure of sanity in a few years. Good luck- if he can stand it, the RWD is one of the few bright spots of the car market right now.

Reactions: XPsionic
Yeah i know, it was clear from your first post you want to get your son a 3 and are just here for affirming posts to support that, like the Mod pointed out.

It’s just fun to add to the futile posts in this thread.
blah blah blah blah. That's what birds do, I'm here, I'm here, look . . . I'm here. Humans aren't in the trees chirping . . . or are we. A conversation without a well defined point and purpose is casual non-cerebral party talk. Its interesting, that's my blah blah blah contribution. I still say the child should be offered car gifted by his father or help with down payment of a car of his choosing that he will make payments on.

My daughter is 14 and will need a car in a few years, so I originally thought I would replace my aging BMW with a civic touring or hybrid. Then I would hand it off to her and get a Tesla in a few years for myself. Dealer pricing on civics made that plan just not make sense. I then looked at the accord hybrid, which can be gotten somewhat cheaper because its ugly :), but the RWD was still much cheaper, especially after the discount. I ended up getting the RWD for myself, and we'll hope the used car market has returned to some measure of sanity in a few years. Good luck- if he can stand it, the RWD is one of the few bright spots of the car market right now.
I like the back end of the accord but the front end is 🤮. The rwd 3 is a true value with inventory discounts now and can be had for 31k after fed tax credit for a black one w white interior!

I think the Model 3 is the best value of any car for sale today. When you factor in the fuel and maintenance savings it’s out of this world.
Well, the OP agrees and wants to get their son a Model 3 RWD.

But the OP's son wants something that won't attract the same potential negative attention. Since the OP is likely thinking EV a couple of us have suggested the Bolt as there's plenty available at least used.

The Bolt has a 5-star safety rating and if you get one with the Driver Confidence II Package (includes forward collision warning) it had an IIHS Top Safety Pick rating. As I recall, newer Bolts include what was on the Driver Confidence II Package by default.

The Bolt EV is a little distinctive and says Bolt EV on it, but it's not a Tesla. The EUV is more anonymous in shape, but relatively new.

Reactions: XPsionic