Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If "He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school."for driving a Tesla and that is the real reason he want civic/corolla (which is still not a bad cars tbh), make him earn his own money and buy whatever he wants. He probably really wants Charger or Challenger to look cool.

that's my nephew who had both. lucky for them they flipped them for a profit during the pandemic. My son would be fine if I just fixed his '11 sonata AC, but I can't see putting in $1K of repairs for a car worth $5K

Now we're back to a normal market except for Corolla hybrids apparently in AZ. We shall see, I was able to "reserve" one for free that's on the way. Lets see if they deal or lots of add ons

I think I saw a post here for a 3 that was debadged to a civic? Problem solved ;)

that's my nephew who had both. lucky for them they flipped them for a profit during the pandemic. My son would be fine if I just fixed his '11 sonata AC, but I can't see putting in $1K of repairs for a car worth $5K

Now we're back to a normal market except for Corolla hybrids apparently in AZ. We shall see, I was able to "reserve" one for free that's on the way. Lets see if they deal or lots of add ons

I think I saw a post here for a 3 that was debadged to a civic? Problem solved ;)
I remember someone did that before, including swapping in the Honda badge, actually looks fairly convincing and actually does not look out of place.

e5ec4651-tesla-model-3-honda-badges-4-1024x555.jpg

It also had an Si badge (not sure why it's blurred in above):
D6k8ZAjW0AERixx

Tesla Model 3 Owner Puts Honda Civic Si Badges On Electric Sedan | Carscoops

You can use an 8th Gen Civic Si Sedan for a badge placement reference (including the Vtec stickers if you want to go all the way) as the rear lights are most similar to the Model 3:
1024px-Honda-Civic-Si-sedan-2.jpg

Honda Civic (eighth generation) - Wikipedia

Or if it has to be a Civic Hybrid, you can also use Hybrid badges:
637814.jpg

Honda Civic Hybrid Generations: All Model Years

Last edited:
That Civic badge looks totally non-OEM to me. Professional, but non-OEM.

Hilarious that someone wants to drive a stealth Tesla. Not that anybody who knows Tesla is fooled, the Tesla shape is unmistakeable for anyone who knows it.

A few months ago, my 17yr old gave me a soft ultimatum of sorts for his birthday present. He was quite insistent on either a 3 series, preferably M40i, or the Nissan Z (which is a a little harder to come by without dealer markups still to this day). Fortunately, he wasn’t as picky with the color, as long as it wasn’t white and I was glad he didn’t insist on the full-fat M3 Comp. He’s been well deserving this year so I did what any other loving doting parent would do and got him a brand spanking new reloadable bus pass that he could reload himself. I’m the best dad ever.

you can get a slightly used subaru outback 2019 for ~$17k ...

very safe vehicles and well under $20k
I have been looking at subarus, but later models are about the same as new. I guess all the news re: inventory crunch over hasn't got to AZ dealers yet. Just TSLA

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
A few months ago, my 17yr old gave me a soft ultimatum of sorts for his birthday present. He was quite insistent on either a 3 series, preferably M40i, or the Nissan Z (which is a a little harder to come by without dealer markups still to this day). Fortunately, he wasn’t as picky with the color, as long as it wasn’t white and I was glad he didn’t insist on the full-fat M3 Comp. He’s been well deserving this year so I did what any other loving doting parent would do and got him a brand spanking new reloadable bus pass that he could reload himself. I’m the best dad ever.
When he gets older, if push comes to shove, I may be forced to hand my eldest kid the keys to my...bike.

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

Makes no sense to pay that much for a Civic/Corolla Hybrid.

Too fast for a "teen son"...plus no teen want to deal with charging their car. Smart kid.

I have been looking at subarus, but later models are about the same as new. I guess all the news re: inventory crunch over hasn't got to AZ dealers yet. Just TSLA

We might be related LOL. This might be interesting to you...

Now that we have 2 Tesla's and I got rid of my BMW SUV I need something for weekends in the mountains with the dogs and Home Depot runs etc. I tried and tried to find a low milage used Forester priced right but couldn't.

I ended up ordering a 2023 Forester from dealer in Cascade Green...just have to wait for it to come from Japan. It was like pulling teeth getting them to order me one without the alloy wheels and roof rails (for $1200) but they finally gave up. I plan on throwing the silver hub caps in the shed and driving with the black steel wheels. They just couldn't understand it...

$26,995 with their $1225 Destination charge as they did discount it $765.

Image 7-24-23 at 1.35 PM.jpeg

Image 8-2-23 at 2.56 PM.jpeg

IMG_3644.PNG

Where will he be doing 99% of his charging? At home? At superchargers? Will he be living on campus when he goes to college? if so, how will he charge there? Unless charging will be consistently incredibly convenient for the next X number of years, go with the gas car.

Where will he be doing 99% of his charging? At home? At superchargers? Will he be living on campus when he goes to college? if so, how will he charge there? Unless charging will be consistently incredibly convenient for the next X number of years, go with the gas car.

Good point. It's at home, but not sure where he's going to college in 2yrs. Back east car is a liability.

Good point. It's at home, but not sure where he's going to college in 2yrs. Back east car is a liability.
That would be my biggest deciding factor. My kid's school does have two charging stations, but they are old, slow J chargers and there's a two hour limit. And they aren't anywhere near the dorms. I could see him hating electric vehicles real fast. And after college I can see my son moving into an apartment and having to do all charging at superchargers. Again, not ideal. That's why we got him a gas car. He can always get an electric car as his next car if he wants.