Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

Makes no sense to pay that much for a Civic/Corolla Hybrid.

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

I thought Tesla's were the hot ticket right now! At least they are amongst high school kids in our area.

I dont see a question here, so I am not quite sure what the intention is for this thread.

If its "What should I do?" (which it doesnt seem like to me, and you have a lot of experience with Tesla at this point so I dont think its that... but just in case...). I dont believe in buying things for people who dont want them.

If its actually your sons car, and thats what he wants, then thats what you should get him unless there is some drastic reason not to. If its for you, buy the car you want to drive. If its for a family member, and they want something different, and you can afford it, and it is not some huge mistake, then get them what they want.

This is not some situation of "save them from themselves" or something, A civic / corolla hybrid is a perfectly serviceable car. Its not what I would choose, but its not for me, and unless I misunderstand your post, its not for "you" either, its for your son, so you should get him the car he wants, or not buy anything at all and let him buy the car he wants if you just cant stomach it.

Im assuming this isnt intended to be a pricing discussion thread.

Let him choose. He already knows how you feel about it.

But I have to admit, it’s surprising to hear he would be mocked at school for getting a Tesla. It seems to be the opposite around here. And he would have sentry mode if keyed. Can cool off or warm up the car remotely without running an engine, etc. I would have LOVED to have a Tesla during school.

If you’re just asking for random opinions from people on the Internet: as someone who’s passionate about the climate crisis unfolding all around us in real time, purchasing a new gas-burner is feeding the bad wolf (not to mention putting money into an asset whose depreciation will only accelerate over the next 5 years). Buying a used gas-burner, sure.

On a separate note: as a parent of three driving-aged kids, I won’t purchase any car for my kids; if my kids want their own car, they need to pay for some - if not all - of it. This is a work/reward lesson. Until then, they are free to borrow & share the used Kia Soul EV we purchased for $15k USD several years ago, and we will pay the home electric bill.

Can’t imagine getting someone the car they don’t want and are not going to be happy with.

I knew someone who was getting a car for the wife, she wanted that model in blue. The dealer didn’t have blue so instead of going to another dealer he bought the red car. She drove that car for 2 years before divorcing him and selling the car.
Key words " getting someone a car". Our daughter wanted a Land Rover, we gave her a used Toyota Civic. If they pay for the damn car themselves, sure. Other wise..they should be happy to get a RWD Tesla...( yeah, I am old )

I'm torn on this. On one hand, Teslas are extremely safe, on the other, new drivers shouldnt have fast cars and should know how ICE work.

Part of me knows the future is electric and thats the right move, the other part of me says to go with a slow car because its a new driver (totally dependent on maturity, which I dont know). My parents wouldnt let me inherit their sports car because it was too much for a first time driver. Instead I had to buy my own car (which I killed within a year). But I shouldnt apply my parents philosophy on someoneelse's kids.

Reactions: vickh and WyoDude
Safety is the most important factor when someone is only learning to drive.
Definitely, pretty much all modern cars (2010+) are vastly safer than anything from before. You can get so many cars just a handful years old for 10k or less. And you can get electric if that matters (Prius and Leaf for example). You can get safety and not spend 30k for a teen. Also, educating and parenting are big factors, teens still die or are severely injured wrecking their Tesla’s doing dumb sh*t. Especially when you have insane torque, acceleration and are RWD.

I'm torn on this. On one hand, Teslas are extremely safe, on the other, new drivers shouldnt have fast cars and should know how ICE work.

Part of me knows the future is electric and thats the right move, the other part of me says to go with a slow car because its a new driver (totally dependent on maturity, which I dont know). My parents wouldnt let me inherit their sports car because it was too much for a first time driver. Instead I had to buy my own car (which I killed within a year). But I shouldnt apply my parents philosophy on someoneelse's kids.
Gotta find a Geo Metro !

If he's so worried, take the bus.

He'll save money and the non necessary stress he'll get day after day.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Safety is the most important factor when someone is only learning to drive.

+1 That is why I'm leaning towards 3. Esp. at the price point being the same. The Corolla hybrid lacks those features unless you get the highest trim, which makes it MORE expensive than a 3.

Here's KBB's view: