Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Joined the EV club, new Model 3 owner.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you! very informative!
I saw the option about having the car apply the brakes to simulate regen, but personally I would never set that as it would just wear the brakes out.
Yeah, from what I could tell the car was not regening when I would brake as the "Green" regen bar did not move.
I know that in the Nissan Leaf if you hit the brakes the regen bar would get much larger and I saw the same in the Toyota Prius prime, thus i asked.
The Toyota Prius Prime btw is super-efficient with both gas and ev mode. I just hate the way it looks and drives...

Turning the regen simulation won't wear the brakes more than it would otherwise. It simply uses the brakes when regen isn't avaialble or limited (e.g. when battery is cold or close to 100% SoC) so you don't have to change driving behavior. If you don't have it on, you'll need to apply the brakes yourself when regen isn't available.

Reactions: AZAV8R
It's probably just me, but I found myself letting the car slow down much more than i need to when regen is on, compared to me using the brakes.
I've always driven stick shift cars before, and I would barely ever need to replace the brakes.
All cars I've owned I never had to change the brakes more than once, usually I would need to change them around 100k miles the first time.
I am thinking I would probably would never have to replace the brakes in the Tesla...
That is one of the reasons that i now love EVS and Hybrids, the fact that there is so much less wear.
Like on the hybrid cars, the motor and brakes should last a lot longer between regen and the electric motors.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
No, No tesla model 3 (or Y), new, or old, could turn the regen OFF. Older ones have a setting to turn it DOWN, and newer ones do not have any regen setting at all (regen is set at a standard rate by the car with no setting for it at all).

So, there is no setting for regen off, even if you have an older model 3, If it has a setting to turn it down, it still regens some, just less.
If I couldn't turn it off in my 2019 then that low setting was VERY low. I never felt the regen in a snowstorm.
Very disappointing to not have control of the regen with the newer 3's. What's the logic behind that?

If I couldn't turn it off in my 2019 then that low setting was VERY low. I never felt the regen in a snowstorm.
Very disappointing to not have control of the regen with the newer 3's. What's the logic behind that?

I guarantee you 10000% there was no "turn off regen" in your 2019. As for why they removed the setting, we dont know. The speculation here has always been around the fact removing it had something to do with EPA range numbers or other EPA stuff, but we dont know.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie