Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Small Solar Roof Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
I thought I would share my experience with having a solar roof installed on a small building. While not all of my experience will necessary translate to others it may help some of you. And its a way of pseudo documenting the progress.

First up you should know that I go out of my way to buy the most expensive and least valued based solar. Most of the reason I do this is aesthetics. Trying to find solutions that are compatible with of enhance the environment they will be placed in. So it's about looks first.

First project were Dow solar shingles. I waited for 5 years for these to be developed and brought to market in my area. They of course did not produce what they were advertised to do and I am not certain they will even last as long as advertised. Dow must have agreed because within one year they stopped production and sold out to a company who also soon filed Chapter 7 after spending a considerable amount of money to refine the product. But it looks good. :)

20201206_125913.jpg

Next up is a stand alone solar system that tilts and tracks. This is the SmartFlower which also has gone through a number of financial iterations and bouts with bankruptcy (see a pattern here?). Conceptually its a good idea and its more artistic than functional but it certainly fits our major priority. It's biggest problem besides cost is that it has issues when the ambient temperature exceeds 90F, which it does often in my area in the summer.

20191126_102558.jpg

Now we move on to my next solar project, a Tesla Solar Roof. Again the major criteria here is looks so Tesla scores high here at first glance. While I have never seen a Solar Roof first hand the pictures look good.

We decided to apply them on a perfectly good roof that probably had twenty years more life in the asphalt shingles just because we wanted a bit more solar to go with our two Powerwalls. The garage and SmartFlower really never produce more than about 22 kWh a day and that is just at the low end of our average non cooling power consumption. We felt we needed a bit more to be comfortable and to ensure that most grid outages could be survived for days on end. Today we would have to scale way back on just critical use only.

So this is the building they are being applied to, a barn.

IMG_8081sm.jpg

The exposure is mostly SSE with very minor shading on the far east side. But the other side of course is facing NNW so it has very little solar potential and even a bit of shading from trees, but mostly in the AM which it would not produce anyway.

SolarRoofLayout.jpg

I ordered the Solar Roof back in early September and had a number of iterations with the design team on exactly how many active tiles we should deploy. Also at first the thought was to replace all the roof with the Tesla material but quickly it was determined that the large size, thickness and how they were installed, would not work on both the clerestory and cupola se we decided to leave those areas as they are.

Finally approved the design, got all the permits and pre approval from the utility in mid October. An onsite Tesla site survey person came over to make sure everything was documented correctly and answer as many questions that I had at the time.

Called scheduling and tear off was scheduled for December 7th and install the 15th. Of course that never works. The good news is that they called and asked if they could do tear off earlier on November 30th but we had some tree worked planned so we delayed one day to December 1st. The Tesla project manager also came that day to do the final onsight inspection and go over the process with me. The rip off company arrived on the 1st and began taking off the existing roof.

IMG_E1413sm.jpg

They were pretty efficient and had about a half dozen people onsite. They were able to strip the roof in one day but the goal was to apply the new underlayment the same day. That was not going to happen because the underlayment had not yet been delivered since the date was moved up a week from the original schedule and many within the process did not find out about that until day of. Not a problem since we were not expecting any rain for the foreseeable future.

20201202_132955sm.jpg

The underlayment arrived the next day and the tear off team returned the following day to install the underlayment and put on new flashing.

20201202_132937sm.jpg

The team worked most of the day Friday but clearly was not going to get done by end of day so they left in the mid afternoon. Hoping they return Monday to finish the flashing.

20201204_121946sm.jpg

During all the work the team has been very good about keeping the site clean. They have gone over the work area with a rolling magnet to pick up loose nails as is expected. However we knew that would not be sufficient. With horses you have to be very careful about nails and screw on the ground because they can easily embed them into their hoofs and this can be deadly. So when we built the barn we would go over the work area weekly with a metal detector and pick up everything we could detect. We have been doing the same and have already collected more than 50 screws and metal bits that the magnet did not get. Since we have gravel or sand in most of the surrounding areas its important to do this as soon as possible before they become hidden or less detectable from the metal detector. Just like a tire, a horses hoof will seek these out for sure.

At this point the underlayment is on and much of the flashing has been installed. Hopefully Monday the team will return to finish the flashing.

The installation is still scheduled for the 21st of December and I told Tesla they could do it anytime. This will be pushing the inspection date close to end of the year and we need to make that deadline for the solar tax credit. Tesla said they feel they can make it. Last year for the Powerwalls it slipped and Tesla gave us a refund for the difference.

Last edited:
It was a 2.85 kW system on a 45 degree pitched roof almost due South. Bit of shading in the late afternoon.

The CEC calc was 2596 kWh annual production. Checking the logs it appears that it produced 3072 kWh last year (lots of smoke days) and 3173 the year before.

Oh wow. That's pretty good. I guess Tesla is under-estimating their systems? Although... a lot of the array is facing North so those panels probably won't contribute as much. So ~3200kWh/yr might be about right...

Just a small update:

The tear off crew came back on Monday to finish the flashing. They used this device to put bends in the flashing.

20201209_095229.jpg

And then yesterday a Tesla truck arrived to drop off, wait for it, flashing and underlayment. Turns out when they moved us up at the last minute they did some scrambling to secure materials and shot at more than one target at once. I like the flashing that is on the ground better but it is what it is. The flashing we had before was better still but it had to be removed because it covered the old underlayment.

20201209_095957.jpg

Rain is now in the forecast over the next few weeks which is what we need desperately in Northern California and hopefully it fits into my roof schedule.;)

A solar roof crew is putting the final ridge caps on my roof as I write this. I hope to post photos soon. For my install, both the tear-off/underlayment crew and the solar roof crew used a trim-master. The tear-off crew used it for trim and flashing. The solar roof crew used it for the metal edges of the roof where it met walls or other roof planes. I'm wondering if your second trim/flashing delivery might actually be for the solar roof crew.

The "Solar Glass Kit" rack is cool - my install did not have anything like that. Everything just came on wood pallets.

Just a small update:

The tear off crew came back on Monday to finish the flashing. They used this device to put bends in the flashing.

View attachment 615961

And then yesterday a Tesla truck arrived to drop off, wait for it, flashing and underlayment. Turns out when they moved us up at the last minute they did some scrambling to secure materials and shot at more than one target at once. I like the flashing that is on the ground better but it is what it is. The flashing we had before was better still but it had to be removed because it covered the old underlayment.

View attachment 615964

Rain is now in the forecast over the next few weeks which is what we need desperately in Northern California and hopefully, it fits into my roof schedule.;)

They use the brake for the custom parts of the flashing. I think they bring it with them, but hope they never have to use it. Where they can they want to use the pre-formed flashing, On our roof, they spent 2 days using the brake to bend small custom-cut strips of flashing for a tricky area of a roof dormer, but most of rest of the roof used the pre-formed pieces.

It could be worse. On V1 they were actually custom cutting glass tiles to fit. Yikes!!! It is no wonder those roofs were twice as expensive.

Been a bit busy lately but wanted to give an update. Tesla has been busy installing the new solar roof tiles and dummy tiles on the barn. They have been skirting rain and some supply issues but have hung in there and have made great progress this week.

Mondays task was to install the Tesla tile trim pieces that go on the edges of the roof. These are painted black to match the tiles and the tiles slip into them for the first course and the edges. They also installed the valley flashing where the roof meets at an angle with the gabled front.

20201214_093050.jpg

They completed this all on Monday by earlier afternoon but the Solar Tiles had not show up yet so nothing more could be done Monday afternoon. The tiles arrive in the evening and were set into the staging area. It was a bit of a hassle for the delivery driver because they had a fairly large truck that could not get access to the work area. But we found a place close by and they used an electronic pallet mover to finish the job.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Tuesday AM the crew was able to start work on laying out the solar tiles that arrived the night before on the North side of the barn. This took the entire day and in the picture you can see they are just about a row or two of passive tiles from the peak.

20201217_151448.jpg

On Wednesday they shifted over to the South side of the building. This was a bit more challenging because of the gabled end. There are only passive tiles on the gabled end and they have to be custom fit into the main roof. There was one individual who took requests from the roof crew, cut pieces and then climbed the ladders to deliver each one, alternating from left to right at times.

20201216_102343.jpg

They were able to get much of the gabled roof done and then started laying the active tiles on the main roof, again doing the custom work at the valleys.

20201216_145721.jpg

We had rain Wednesday night and Thursday AM so they moved over to doing the electrical work rather than ice skating on the slick solar tiles.

20201217_131912.jpg

Late in the AM on Thursday the roof dried out enough so they could go back up and work on the main South roof until the end of the work day.

20201217_150932.jpg

I thought I would share a few detail pictures of some of the tiles and the inverter.

20201217_150738.jpg

20201217_150804.jpg

20201217_151725.jpg

The inverter is a Delta M4-TL-US.

20201217_151257.jpg

Note that its disconnect is incorporated into the bottom of the unit which makes for a very clean install.

20201217_151316.jpg

The label from the inverter:

20201217_151354.jpg

Hoping that tomorrow, Friday, they can get all the remaining bits done and then get the building department inspection scheduled for next week, or just after Christmas, to make the end of the year deadline.

My solar roof was wrapped up today. In the morning when the crew had barely begun I got a text, an email and a phone call shortly thereafter from the inspection scheduler who told me that the inspection was set for this Wednesday. She wanted to make sure that there were not going to be any access issues and since we had horses, that they would not be in the area. She told me they would call again that AM to confirm the time of the inspection once they knew it.

We've scheduled and confirmed your Solar Roof installation inspection.

The inspection coordinator will reach out to you with details and next steps. Once the inspection is complete, we will let you know as soon as your utility company gives their approval for you to turn on your system

Today I noticed that after the crew cleaned up the site and left that they hid the inspection sheets in a plastic bag tucked in behind the inverter. The scheduler also said that the Tesla rep would be on site for the inspection and had about six of them in my area to do that day.

Finished front side (South)

20201221_142949.jpg

Finished back side (North)

IMG_1689.JPG

Closeup detail of roof edge:

IMG_1685.JPG

Inverter (East wall)

20201221_143200.jpg

Worksite cleaned up and all extra materials packaged and ready for pick-up

IMG_1691sm.jpg

After the inspection I will create a report summarizing my thoughts on the entire experience and key discoveries.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I had read about the flower- it sure looks cool. Price was certainly high but I think worrying if they will be around to service is the main issue. I do really like the variable pitch/rotation to keep aligned aspect though...