Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy Hell! You found the unicorn! P85 with Autopilot. Someone snatch that thing up now!!! :scared:

That's what I called it too! :tongue:

Honestly, the P85 while fast off the mark, it really didn't have the kind of driving dynamics I was expecting, the thrust was there, but the mid-corner "shimmy" on throttle made me feel like I was back in 1996 with a 300HP untamed Z28, whereas my 85 feels more tame in that situation. I can only imagine how good the AWD "D" models feel. My wife was happy that the loaner cured me of my angst over not getting the P85 CPO that was $8K more than our CPO 85. Then again the loaner had well used 21" tires, and my CPO has brand new 19" (thanks Tesla!), so the grip difference could be explained right there.

Oh, the autopilot hardware is a selling feature to my wife, she loved it, especially lane keeping and radar cruise, she didn't find the speed limit sign warnings very useful (HA!).

Honestly, the P85 while fast off the mark, it really didn't have the kind of driving dynamics I was expecting, the thrust was there, but the mid-corner "shimmy" on throttle made me feel like I was back in 1996 with a 300HP untamed Z28, whereas my 85 feels more tame in that situation. I can only imagine how good the AWD "D" models feel. My wife was happy that the loaner cured me of my angst over not getting the P85 CPO that was $8K more than our CPO 85. Then again the loaner had well used 21" tires, and my CPO has brand new 19" (thanks Tesla!), so the grip difference could be explained right there.

Oh, the autopilot hardware is a selling feature to my wife, she loved it, especially lane keeping and radar cruise, she didn't find the speed limit sign warnings very useful (HA!).

After getting the car (70D) I had a very small sliver of gear envy and that maybe I should've gotten the 85D for more speed (don't really need the range).

I had a P85+ loaner while my 70D was in for some stuff. After a day with the P85+, I decided I don't need the speed either. It's a cool party trick, but so glad I didn't spend the extra cash on the 85D.

People have reported that a lot of the goodness of the "+" handling option got rolled into the later P85s, which probably includes yours.

That said, my P85+ doesn't demonstrate the problem you report. I am in love with the handling of this vehicle.

I suspect you'd feel similarly about a P85D.

Also, re your "bunny hop" -- I've noticed that as I put more wear on my tires, the traction control has to work harder if I launch. I wonder about your tread. Oh, and I'm using staggered 21" PS2s. Based on my experiences with P85s with and without the 21s, I'd say the tires make a big difference in both of the situations you describe.

Alan

That VIN was right around the time the sub-frame was updated (late Q1 '13). The "+", with more firm lower control arm bushings, came along just after and was followed by all MS getting that frame and arms (per Lola). If the other P you drove was early/pre Q1, that would explain some things. I shopped a couple ~13xxx P's, that still didn't really like throttle inputs mid-turn. IMO, the P85+ (thanks, Pollux) has more than just the 265's going for it. Whether it is thicker sways, etc., I don't know.

That VIN was right around the time the sub-frame was updated (late Q1 '13). The "+", with more firm lower control arm bushings, came along just after and was followed by all MS getting that frame and arms (per Lola). If the other P you drove was early/pre Q1, that would explain some things. I shopped a couple ~13xxx P's, that still didn't really like throttle inputs mid-turn. IMO, the P85+ (thanks, Pollux) has more than just the 265's going for it. Whether it is thicker sways, etc., I don't know.

Oh, I'm a P078xx. Would that mean my S has the improved sub-frame and control arms? Or did that propagation only go to the Ps?

The P+ lower arms never made it to the non P+ cars. This is a myth. The P+ LCA bushings are recessed on both sides.

The exciting day is finally at hand! Woke up this morning to a great notification on my computer! My baby goes in to get the XPel reapplied and its battery reinstalled next week, so then I'm all is left is to get the NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage. Looking forward to getting back into the EVs. I'll have to thank the service crew when I stop by the store soon (I need to buy one of those gray Tesla hats before NDEW since I seem to be the only owner without one).

jstrBX1.jpg

Well, at least the clock has run out on the curing process. You are getting much closer...fingers crossed.

It could have been worse. While the Volt and Leaf owner drove my S in the last parade, it could have failed and you would have had to push us rather than passing out water from my trunk! :) Always a "could be worse" scenario. And of course, he isn't a Tesla owner (yet) and has a hat!

BTW, I will put the static clings back up on my car for the NDEW event and hopefully at C&C tomorrow, we can work out an unofficial parade route for all the EVs to "show off" around town.

I wanted to chime in here again to follow up on my recent service that I mentioned in my previous post on this thread (Page 9). Something came up during the service which was unexpected, but I feel Tesla did their best in responding to it.

First off, the service folks were great. I arrived with my car at 8:00am. On my 180 mile drive over, I had a low tire pressure light come on. I pulled into a gas station about 10 miles after the light came on and checked each tire pressure with my pressure stick. The air compressor at the station wanted 3 circular metal discs to operate (I think they're called quarters), which I didn't have, and I figured the tire pressures were ok enough to make it the remaining 40 or so miles of Interstate to the service center (the lowest was 35 psi). The check in was smooth, and they had an S85 available to me for my 2 day loan period. It was charged to the full daily limit, which was more than enough range for me to handle the job runs I needed to make that day and make it to the Woodburn Supercharger to launch me over the pass and back to Bend for the night.

Tesla called the next day and said they ended up doing a bunch more warranty work in addition to the things they had mentioned previously, but that they had also checked out my tires/wheels and found a bubble on the right rear tire, and both right side wheels were bent. They noted that both the front and rear wheels showed curb rash (the rear wheel I mentioned had the rash on it when we picked it up. The front wheel also had a tiny bit of rash, but again, it was so little, maybe about 1" of a few nicks that I discounted it as serious damage), and assumed we had hit something.

This was all surprising to me, as we've only had the car for 2 months, driven it about 2,000 miles and were now looking at about $1400 in replacement wheels and tire. We've driven the car very carefully and I know we haven't hit anything. Most of the miles have been long distance. I explained that the damage shown on the rims were exactly the same as when we picked the car up. They went through the records of the car and were able to confirm that they had replaced the tires before selling the car, but that there had been no damage to the wheels. They said the shipping receipts showed no damage at any point either. Since I wasn't home, I couldn't check our delivery documents, but I was completely positive the scuffs had been on the wheels the day we first saw the car. Tesla said they would review their records again and get back to me.

When they called back, they confirmed that all of their paperwork showed no damage before they handed the car over, BUT they offered me a deal: If I bought a new rear tire, they would provide 2 new wheels. I knew that if my delivery documentation did not have that damage shown, it was basically my word against theirs, and their records showed no damage. So if push came to shove, I'd have to replace everything on my dime. Also, I was already in Portland with their loaner and pretty much needed to pick my car up at the end of the day. So I agreed. I paid for the new tire ($375), and both scuffed/bent wheels were replaced with brand new.

When I got home, I checked our delivery documents. There was actually no condition report in our documents at all, and nowhere in our documents did we make any comment about the wheel scuffs. I never mentioned the chin scratches to them either, because again, I'm buying a used car, I sort of expected the "As-Is, Where-Is" sort of deal.

Tesla could have just said no, we've got documents that say the car was perfect when we gave it to you (and they did actually say the wheels were bent enough to where they could not let the car go with them on there, and no, I never felt any issue when driving). But they did make an offer, and I felt it was more than fair. As much as I didn't like having to pay $375 for a new tire, I recognize that it could have been much more and that Tesla went out of their way to find a solution.

If this had been a brand new car, I would have noted every little speck and gone over and under the car in fine detail. In hindsight, I wish I had been more thorough in our initial inspection, or at the very least, pointed out every bit of visible damage just to note it, not necessarily expecting Tesla to fix it.

Could the damage to the wheels you are talking about be caused by you driving 40 miles with underinflated tires?

If the tire/wheel damage was caused due to underinflated tires that is your responsibly.

Seems Tesla is being reasonable in this case trying to work out something reasonable with you.

Could the damage to the wheels you are talking about be caused by you driving 40 miles with underinflated tires?

No. As my first post on this thread said (before I even took the car to the service center), the visible damage to the wheels was there when we got the car. I don't know what the tire pressure was when I started the trip to the service center, and I don't know what the pressure was when we got the car.

And I agree completely, if damage occurs because my tires were under-inflated, that would of course be my responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about Tesla at all. I think they went above and beyond what they needed to.

I am very happy that Tesla gave me the benefit of doubt in this. Other than my original post on this thread stating the damage to my wheels was on the car when we got it (dated before I took the car to the service center), I really have no proof the damage WAS there when we got the car. Tesla had no requirement to offer me anything, they did so specifically to help me out and keep me happy. I really appreciate their effort, and that's why I took them up on their offer even though I know the damage had always been there.

If I had a piece of paper that showed the damage was there the day I got the car, I would have sent that to the service center and asked for my $375 back. I don't have that, and other than a post on an internet forum, I've got nothing. Tesla bought me 2 wheels and I stepped up and bought myself a tire. Problem solved. I'm happy. I'm not asking them for anything.

And financially, didn't Tesla take most of the hit (at least at list prices)? Wouldn't the wheels have cost significantly more than $375?

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. And @Stacey@, I definitely understand that you're not complaining! Your posts seem very reasonable to me. I'm just seeking confirmation that not only did Tesla try to help, but that in the process of helping their proposed solution involved more of "their" dollars than yours.

No. As my first post on this thread said (before I even took the car to the service center), the visible damage to the wheels was there when we got the car. I don't know what the tire pressure was when I started the trip to the service center, and I don't know what the pressure was when we got the car.

And I agree completely, if damage occurs because my tires were under-inflated, that would of course be my responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about Tesla at all. I think they went above and beyond what they needed to.

I am very happy that Tesla gave me the benefit of doubt in this. Other than my original post on this thread stating the damage to my wheels was on the car when we got it (dated before I took the car to the service center), I really have no proof the damage WAS there when we got the car. Tesla had no requirement to offer me anything, they did so specifically to help me out and keep me happy. I really appreciate their effort, and that's why I took them up on their offer even though I know the damage had always been there.

If I had a piece of paper that showed the damage was there the day I got the car, I would have sent that to the service center and asked for my $375 back. I don't have that, and other than a post on an internet forum, I've got nothing. Tesla bought me 2 wheels and I stepped up and bought myself a tire. Problem solved. I'm happy. I'm not asking them for anything.

And financially, didn't Tesla take most of the hit (at least at list prices)? Wouldn't the wheels have cost significantly more than $375?
I'm just seeking confirmation that not only did Tesla try to help, but that in the process of helping their proposed solution involved more of "their" dollars than yours.

Yes, completely. This is exactly why I took about 5 seconds of thought before accepting their offer on the phone. They went above and beyond. Yes, one could argue that their 21" wheels don't cost them what they cost me, but I don't get their cost. For me, I got 2 brand new wheels and a new rear tire for $375.

I am curious as to exactly how the wheels got bent. If the rim scuffs were indicative of the bent wheels, I'm speculating that the damage happened either during transport and was overlooked, or it happened between arrival and delivery, and was overlooked. (The service center was swamped with deliveries, it was the end of the quarter.) If the rim scuffs had nothing to do with the bent wheels, and the bends happened during our ownership, then I will get rid of these 21" wheels ASAP, because we have been ultra careful. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to know. My plan at the moment is to be hyper aware while driving, and watch our tire pressures like a hawk...

Hi everyone,

I ordered a P85+ CPO car from the SF bay area and it was shipped to my local service center, Costa Mesa, for prep and delivery. Like many of you, I started reading this forum while waiting for delivery (delivery this Wednesday..can't wait!). The 2 or 3 CPO paint issue threads on this forum has me concerned even though the carfax and autocheck are clean. I spoke to the DS today asking if I can get a PPI at a body shop nearby and she said that they do not allow the cars to leave the premises before delivery for PPIs or anything else. She tried to reassure me that they do not allow any cars with major body work, major paintwork, etc. into the program nor has she ever heard of instances where CPO customers had any paint issues. Thanks to this forum, I provided her with some examples.
Bottom line: She's checking with her manager whether I can have someone come on premises to inspect it instead (and hopefully be able to have it raised on a lift too), but it might be tough for me to find someone to come to their service center. I also stated that if they don't CPO cars with any major paintwork, body work, etc., they should have no problem noting it on the due bill as a condition of sale. She's checking into that as well.

Has anyone been able to get a PPI for their CPO car at a body shop? If so, what was the procedure? I'm hoping my DS is wrong about the offsite PPI policy.