Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model Y Competition: Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked! -- $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too and agreed.

Nonsense snide fanboy comments aside about how Rivian is burning cash and somehow different than when Tesla did exactly the same thing to build out a service/charging network and factory infrastructure: 2026 is laughable and to put it plainly, too late. They will not make it that long in this economic environment. They need to accelerate their plans or they’re gonna die.
It’s a shame but you can stick a fork in them…the moves that worked for Tesla won’t work for them.

Me too and agreed.

Nonsense snide fanboy comments aside about how Rivian is burning cash and somehow different than when Tesla did exactly the same thing to build out a service/charging network and factory infrastructure: 2026 is laughable and to put it plainly, too late. They will not make it that long in this economic environment. They need to accelerate their plans or they’re gonna die.
They aren't as bad off as they appear, tbh. They still have well over $7B. My biggest concern is the early stages of launch can be really expensive. They'll need every $$ at that point.

The problem with RIVN business is they're kinda speedrunning the cashburn thing. Will investors have the patience to ride it out or want to infuse more cash waiting for them to turn the corner?
1709801516903.png

The problem with RIVN business is they're kinda speedrunning the cashburn thing. Will investors have the patience to ride it out or want to infuse more cash waiting for them to turn the corner?
View attachment 1025467
I knew they were burning cash really fast but this really shows it well. It illustrates my concern…can they survive two more years to get the R2 to market?

I think the R2 is going to be a really good vehicle — and the style of it will probably be very appealing in this market that loves Broncos and Jeep type vehicles — but man are they in a race against time. They have $7B but that won’t even last half a year at their current burn rate, and the stock isn’t in a great place.

I will say this…I think people underestimate their CEO, RJ Scaringe. I’ve read a decent amount about him and listened to 2-3 hours of him being interviewed in various business podcasts (like How I Built This), and he’s got a quiet resilience/fortitude. He doesn’t give up. To say people thought he was insane for starting a car company right out of college is an understatement, and maybe he was…but he didn’t give up. They’re slashing costs like crazy right now…he’s sacrificing current production capacity (they just laid off some people at the R1* factory) in order to survive until they get to the R2 launch. He knows selling/building a few % more R1s isn’t going to save them.

Today’s announcement of the R2 is either going to be the shot in the arm they need to make it to 2026 or it will be the last milestone before death.

Me too and agreed.

Difference is, rivian is 13yrs into being a company. Still burning cash like it’s wood for a campfire. Snide? Maybe, but it’s also a vehicle I’ve lived with for 8mo/25k miles.

I think the R2 is going to be a really good vehicle
Have you seen one? Do you own an R1?
“Poor execution of a great idea” best describes the R1 platform.

Announcement happened. Highlights:
  • R2 and even smaller R3 unveiled.
  • R2
    • About the size of a Model Y
    • 300+ miles with the larger battery option
    • NACS
    • $45k starting
    • Single, dual, and tri-motor variants
    • Sub-3-second 0-60 for high end trim
    • Deliveries starting in the "first half" of 2026
    • All seats fold completely flat — including the front ones.
  • R3
    • Almost looks like a tall boxy hot hatch
    • R3X high performance version will do 0-60 in 3 seconds