Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X spotted in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me earlier in the month I can "soon" configure, but I suspect the price in €uros is gonna make me run for the hills.

Also with the China priority (they pay in $$$) I don't think we will see units here until early 2017. The Audi Q6 electric car is due they reckon early 2018 and with a price guide of €80,000 to €100,000 so I am concerned that if I was to purchase a €160,000 Tesla that after 12 months the value will have crashed by 50%.

I know everyone here will laugh and scoff because I am on a Tesla forum but look at the intended specs and photos:

Audi Q6: price, specs and release date | carwow

310 mile range, and probably cableless induction charging.

You can see if in Europe and I take delivery of a 2017 Tesla Model X I could lose a serious chunk of change.

p.s. I put my deposit down a year ago, the car was *released* in September 2015 and we still don't have €uro pricing? Is it a big secret?

johnnyduval, I can't disagree with most of what you've written, but I do want to comment on a few things.

1.) I was surprised at the favourable Signature exchange rate here in Canada. I'm not so sure that the regular production models will have such a favourable exchange rate, but I expect it to still be better than the going rate. Tesla may do the same in Europe.

2.) Audi's 310 mile range is based on the less stringent European (NEDC) standard. The Model-S also has a 310 mile NEDC range. I suspect that this number will get modified when it actually hits production.

3.) Audi (and the other manufacturers) have been promising EV for decades and they should have already be selling them now. The only reason why they're making these announcements now is due to Tesla (and to try to get consumers to hold off purchasing a Tesla). I wouldn't hold my breath that Audi will be releasing this SUV on time in 2018. And if they do release it sometime in 2018, I bet it will be very limited numbers and in limited markets.

4.) The Audi EV is a 4-seater, not a 5/6/7 seater like the Model-X

5.) This will be Audi's first EV vehicle. Are you going to trust that Audi has created a perfect, flawless vehicle on their first attempt? I suspect that their roll-out will make Tesla's ramp seem perfect. :)

6.) Finally, there is no guarantee that the concept in your link is going to look like the actual production model. They usually look worse and lack many of the fancy features shown in the concept.

1.) I was surprised at the favourable Signature exchange rate here in Canada. I'm not so sure that the regular production models will have such a favourable exchange rate, but I expect it to still be better than the going rate. Tesla may do the same in Europe.
That's good but I just can't face laying down €150.000+ for one of these things anymore. Not a case of whether I can afford it - it's just I don't think they deserve that much cash anymore.

2.) Audi's 310 mile range is based on the less stringent European (NEDC) standard. The Model-S also has a 310 mile NEDC range. I suspect that this number will get modified when it actually hits production.

I hear ya - but I expect it will have roughly the same range as the X at least.

3.) Audi (and the other manufacturers) have been promising EV for decades and they should have already be selling them now. The only reason why they're making these announcements now is due to Tesla (and to try to get consumers to hold off purchasing a Tesla). I wouldn't hold my breath that Audi will be releasing this SUV on time in 2018. And if they do release it sometime in 2018, I bet it will be very limited numbers and in limited markets.

There just isn't any profits to be had in these things at this stage - hence why they have all held off. But Mercedes, Porsche, Aston and BMW all have things on the way. I see the 2nd hand value of an American electric car in Europe being trashed in 2 years or so. I could see me losing 50% in 2 years of ownership due to competition.

4.) The Audi EV is a 4-seater, not a 5/6/7 seater like the Model-X

Fine with me actually. As long as it doesn't have silly doors.

5.) This will be Audi's first EV vehicle. Are you going to trust that Audi has created a perfect, flawless vehicle on their first attempt? I suspect that their roll-out will make Tesla's ramp seem perfect. :smile:

From what I am reading I have as much confidence in Audi as Tesla frankly.

6.) Finally, there is no guarantee that the concept in your link is going to look like the actual production model. They usually look worse and lack many of the fancy features shown in the concept.

Ach that's OK. I don't need a thing of total beauty. Just don't gimme that Lexus radiator please.

I could well also post on an Audi forum as well (free world) but at the current time the only car I have on order is a Tesla Model X, so I don't see why I should not post sometimes - but I am clearly now no fanboy. My current wheels are a Porsche but I don't think the sun shines out of their exhausts either.

I just think my own little journey has been interesting. I was excited when I ordered the Model X a year ago and even bought Tesla shares (since sold). I am now on the verge of cancelling my order.

My gripes have been zero communication from Tesla, hugely missed delivery timings, no pricing and no configurator open to the world since the launch in September.

Now they are supplying China before the European reservations, and due to the woefully slow production I fear that my very expensive 2017 Tesla X will rapidly lose value as competition comes online.

Now they are supplying China before the European reservations, and due to the woefully slow production I fear that my very expensive 2017 Tesla X will rapidly lose value as competition comes online.

It's been my experience that it is absolutely pointless to try to predict and base decisions on whether future possibilities will come true. I recommend you base your decision to order/cancel on the facts you know today.

There is no guarantee that Tesla will have an EV competitor by 2018 and even if they do, I don't see how that would affect the value of a 2017 Model X. These two vehicles may not even compete head-to-head.

I recommend you base your decision to order/cancel on the facts you know today.

Hmmmm. That would officially then be:

1. No price facts
2. No delivery date facts
3. No configurator information
4. No test drives

Ironically the ONLY facts I get are from this forum. You learn 100 times more on the forum than from Tesla. Seems wrong to me when a customer must rely on a forum to learn things about a product?

Hmmmm. That would officially then be:

1. No price facts
2. No delivery date facts
3. No configurator information
4. No test drives
Well, if you have that information about The Audi Q6 e-tron, can't you share it? And Tesla have said that they buy 2017 they will add a new bigger battery wish will give it a longer range.
How much do we know about the charging network that Audi won't built themself but they will let other do it for them. Will that be better then what Tesla already have?

Well, if you have that information about The Audi Q6 e-tron, can't you share it?

and you don't think it's just a little crazy that now a few Tesla X's are actually on the road Tesla is still unable to actually supply me any of the pricing info, delivery dates, a configurator or a test drive?

I supplied them my €4.000 and a little trust 12 months ago......

Amusingly if I had not been on these forums I would still be expecting "delivery Spring 2016" as promised to me at the time of placing my deposit!!! Yeh right.

I can't think of a single product that I've bought in the last 15 years where I learned more from the manufacturer than from a web source (such as this forum).

Absolutely. Before there's internet we all read car magazines when we want to decide which cars to buy. There are certain clueless people who get info from car commercials or salesman but that's their problem.

I could well also post on an Audi forum as well (free world) but at the current time the only car I have on order is a Tesla Model X, so I don't see why I should not post sometimes - but I am clearly now no fanboy. My current wheels are a Porsche but I don't think the sun shines out of their exhausts either.

I just think my own little journey has been interesting. I was excited when I ordered the Model X a year ago and even bought Tesla shares (since sold). I am now on the verge of cancelling my order.

My gripes have been zero communication from Tesla, hugely missed delivery timings, no pricing and no configurator open to the world since the launch in September.

I guess you're just trying to threat Tesla that you could go for a non-existent car. Well I don't think Tesla will feel threatened by a non-existent car not to mention it could not produce enough X for people who want it now and likely for a long time to come. Wait or cancel. Those are your only options. You're the only one who can decide which one is the best for you.

Last edited:
and you don't think it's just a little crazy that now a few Tesla X's are actually on the road Tesla is still unable to actually supply me any of the pricing info, delivery dates, a configurator or a test drive?

I supplied them my €4.000 and a little trust 12 months ago......

Amusingly if I had not been on these forums I would still be expecting "delivery Spring 2016" as promised to me at the time of placing my deposit!!! Yeh right.

I put a $5000 (Canadian) deposit down on a Model-S 6 years ago and then rolled it over to a Model-X over 4 years ago (Canadian Sequence #008). Like Europe, regular production prices haven't been announced here yet. Like it or not, Tesla is a very small, micro-managed company. There are some advantages to it (e.g. out-of-the-box thinking) but there are some disadvantages as well (e.g. slow, delays). It appears to me that Elon Musk is trying to solve real engineering problems with the ramp up, build quality, Signature cars stuck in limbo and getting customers to confirm. There is no point in immediately figuring out the European prices if Tesla can't begin deliveries there in the next 6-12 months. There are other more pressing issues to tackle.

If you want stability from your auto manufacturer, I suggest you come back in 5-10 years or go with another company.

Otherwise, if you really like the car, you're going to have to change your perspective, for your own sanity. Tesla will likely open up to European signature holders next month during the Geneva Auto Show, but regular production will open probably be 3+ months after that (based on what is happening in Canada). I strongly doubt that there will be any EU Signature deliveries in 2016. If you're lucky EU regular production deliveries will happen in the first half of 2017 (over a year from now). Don't let the excitement happening in the US distract you from reality.

(BTW, I have since upgraded to a Signature Series Model-X, so unlike Europe, Tesla has opened it up to Canadian Signature holders. However, I have not confirmed yet as I have a test-drive booked in 4 weeks.)

Last edited:
It appears to me that Elon Musk is trying to solve real engineering problems with the ramp up, build quality, Signature cars stuck in limbo and getting customers to confirm. There is no point in immediately figuring out the European prices if Tesla can't begin deliveries there in the next 6-12 months. There are other more pressing issues to tackle.

If you want stability from your auto manufacturer, I suggest you come back in 5-10 years or go with another company.

That is all well and dandy. As you can see it has been a steep learning curve for me. I had never heard of Tesla 12 months ago but read an article and placed my deposit and even bought some shares.

Everyone around on this forum is an old hand. It seems that 75% either own shares or already own a Tesla S and so have a complete understanding and awareness that when Tesla makes a time forecast it will be wrong, or that you will need to do a pre-inspection yourself on the car to find any niggling problems (somebody here has even produced a checklist document for the Model X in that respect).

As a newbie this has all been rather puzzling. Teslas in Germany are rare as rocking horse poop, so I had almost no knowledge of the company. When I placed my order I very firmly enquired whether the "Spring 2016" date was realistic as I wanted to make a decision about my current car. I stressed it was OK if the timing was not exact but would it go past mid summer for example.....I and was assured it was realistic. Obviously all the old hands here will be aware that the Tesla Germany staff would have absolutely no idea about production dates....apart from they will be much later than anyone has ever predicted.

So now I am educated. Tesla is a quirky, boutique manufacturer of hand-built cars at very very high prices and with very fluid delivery dates. I get it.

Hence why I am now cancelling my order. But it took some time to get to this level of awareness!!

Hence why I am now cancelling my order. But it took some time to get to this level of awareness!!

Sorry to see you go, but I totally understand your situation. Tesla is just not right for most people right now (IMO). Maybe in 5 years things will be different. Luckily, you should be able to get a full refund and put it towards a more suitable vehicle. Good luck.

After all the wining from Johnny - please make it stop ;) I just wanted to share the happy message that I'm a happy reservation holder of the Model X. While the Tesla salesperson knew far less than what I learned on this forum, I imagine taking delivery in about a year (instead of the communicated half year). Not really a problem for me:
- there is no better car
- it has a full aluminium body (why isn't that emphasised more?)
- it looks way better than the Model S
- the doors :)

The relatively uninformed salesperson told me there were already 40.000 european reservations. Can someone confirm that? Because at a (US) production rate of 1000/week (by the end of q2 - probably, possibly), it might mean may 2017 for me.

But we aren't stuck without a car. The MX will replace our BMW (a crappy car). We're also the lucky owners of a Porsche (I considered waiting for the Mission e until they announced to never make an autopilot option), and a MobilHome (would also love autopilot 2.0 on that somewhere in the future ;)

All the other cars just feel like being stuck in the past... future here we come :-D