Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reveal impact on TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask the periodic bears that show up in this thread and pronounce such things only to get their heads bitten off.

None of those episodes are what I'd ever define as 'tanked'. But now that I know what your definition is, I can put your view and terminology into context that I can understand: It's TSLA as usual going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop making it sound as if people are being forced to configure without knowing details. The option to defer until a person has all the information they require and/or a test drive is very real. So there's nothing lousy in this regard going on. As well, it's been WIDELY and PUBLICALLY known for quite some time that Model X would not be revealed until first delivers, giving early Sig holders plenty of time to decide how they'll handle the situation if time to confirm comes up before the reveal.

On the topic of the seats and how it may affect TSLA: if they don't fold then that is going to be a deal breaker for some reservationists. Logically and reasonably that lack of functionality to create full cargo space is going to be mentioned in media reviews as a negative on the vehicle even if that row of seats serve secondarily as an aquarium and barbecue.

- - - Updated - - -

And as of last year during one of the ERs they very specifically said they would be holding their cards close to their chests from then on and they have kept to that.

We are looking at this through different frames of reference for sure. My definition of 'holding cards close to their chests' does not include poor communication with their customers over simple questions about the products they are trying to sell. If they were truly trying to hold those cards close, IMO (yep opinion), the design studio should have opened AFTER the reveal on Sept 29th. If you decide to open up the design studio and start asking people to configure/confirm their vehicles you better be prepared to answer questions, in detail, about the product and potential options or lack thereof.

Maybe the issue is the wrong question has been asked to Tesla. Someone needs to ask if 2nd row seats are movable in some way to allow for added cargo space. If this is not done via "folding" then Tesla hasn't done anything except answer the question that was asked (folding seats). I'm not saying this is ok for them to be this coy however.

I do understand the issue for those that need to make a decision based on their reservation number. If tesla answered the more vague question I've posed then maybe that would satisfy everyone. I don't have a horse in this race yet, and I do frequently fold the 2nd row seats in my Land cruiser to allow for added space for hauling cargo, but honestly this is so low on my list of priorities it would get nothing more than a shoulder shrug. Opinions vary on this obviously.

I really hope Tesla has a solution that makes everyone more than happy. I appreciate those of you willing and able
to shell out the money for these vehicles to help push this company forward. However, I feel there would be little
to zero effect on tsla regardless of 2nd row seat. I've never seen an analyst put a dollar value on that
option either. :)

I decided to reduce my TSLA holdings somewhat due to Foldgate. I'm no longer geared, at least.

I think Foldgate has the potential to mess up many positive reviews, where they all add caveats at the end, like "This could have been a great car, but for some very strange reason, Tesla decided against folding seats, thus preventing the transport of large objects. We feel this compromses the utility of the car." Additionally, I think Foldgate will cause something like 25+% cancellations.

This may not materialize, but I just think caution makes sense.

I decided to reduce my TSLA holdings somewhat due to Foldgate. I'm no longer geared, at least.

I think Foldgate has the potential to mess up many positive reviews, where they all add caveats at the end, like "This could have been a great car, but for some very strange reason, Tesla decided against folding seats, thus preventing the transport of large objects. We feel this compromses the utility of the car." Additionally, I think Foldgate will cause something like 25+% cancellations.

You people are crazy. Rumors based on nothing are causing you to sell? :rolleyes:

You people are crazy. Rumors based on nothing are causing you to sell? :rolleyes:
The seats in the signature version do not fold. This info comes from multiple signature buyers as well as the design studio. The question is if the seats in the general production version fold, and as more information is becoming available, they seem to not fold. I'll be quick to buy if Tesla comes with good information, but until then I want to keep some options open.

Of course, the seats don't matter in the long term. But this is the short term thread. :)

Last edited:
You have to realize that many such people bought due to rumors based on nothing. So they sell the same way.
I expected Tesla to make the Model X a significant step up from the Model S. As more and more information becomes available, it seems added features aren't such a big step up from the Model S, and with regard to carrying capacity, even a step down. That is cause for correcting the exposure to TSLA.

With all do respect, I think the whole seat folding and towing thing is being blown way out of proportion. I mean foldgate? Really? Why don`t you start speculating the end of Tesla Motors because you can`t use a 100k+ car as a cargo van and can`t tow a house with it. I think some people may have thought the X is going to be a pick up truck.

Don`t get me wrong, some people may be cancelling, but the 25% floated in one of these threads is ridiculous. With the trunk and the frunk and foldable 3rd row, plus - based on the pictures I saw - movable 2nd row, there should be plenty of room for most users who thought they would be buying a 100k+ luxury SUV.

I just don`t see TSLA being impacted by this at all.

Last edited:

-1. Unlikely this will impact TSLA. 25% cancellations due to possibly only forward moving, or partly folding 2 row seats. No way.

With all do respect, I think the whole seat folding and towing thing is being blown way out of proportion. I mean foldgate? Really? Why don`t you start speculating the end of Tesla Motors because you can`t use a 100k+ car as a cargo van and can`t tow a house with it. I think some people may have thought the X is going to be a pick up truck.

Don`t get me wrong, some people may be cancelling, but the 25% floated in one of these threads is ridiculous. With the trunk and the frunk and foldable 3rd row, plus - based on the pictures I saw - movable 2nd row, there should be plenty of room for most users who thought they would be buying a 100k+ luxury SUV.

I just don`t see TSLA being impacted this at all.

+1

I believe it will have an impact. I fold the seats in our S down all the time to haul things.

Without the option to fold the second seats how is one supposed to haul skis for a weekend ski trip? I don't have super fancy skis and there is no way I am putting them on a roof rack on our S to haul them. I fold down the split seat in our car.

IMO without the folding or removable seats and the larger towing capacity how can it be a Sport UTILITY Vehicle?

If I can't haul skis inside, pick up a couple of 2x4's for a weekend project or haul a new fridge home because mine died and the appliance store can't deliver it for a week, or pull my boat or camper to the lake then this is not a SUV. It's an oversized sedan.

I don't see a 25% cancelation rate but I do see an impact to the share price of it does not have these features. I also do not see how consumer reports can give it a 100 if it's missing those features.

Elon is building "perfect" cars. Missing these features is either an oversight or a compromise the engineers had to make. Kinda like missing rear cup holders and coat hooks.

These items will impact the short and medium term price.

I have no idea how much any *rumored* or actual shortcomings the X will have on TSLA. I do know that an SUV/CUV generally provides 'utility' above and beyond most sedans built on the same platform. Time will tell whether that applies to the S/X platform.

Can we please have a separate thread for foldgate. This is ridiculous and only relevant to the stock price in its ridiculousness. At least, those who are concerned about this should follow relevant Model X threads and make comments there. There is a lot of functionality being discussed there with the benefit of pictures. It was known on September 1 that the seats do not fold, but it is also true that the seats move in ways we will not fully understand until the reveal. If the market was really freaking out over this, it would have done so already. There is no need to spaz out over week old information.

Remember that the second row of seats are supposed to do something so interesting that their functioning is being kept out of sight until Sept 29. Perhaps one of the options of this something interesting is to move in such a way to create space for cargo. We'll find out in just over 3 weeks.

The model X is not an f 150, f 250 , f 350 utility truck, and the stock price in no
way will discount that as a negative, in my very not humble opinion.
Those that believe otherwise are entitled to believe whatever they please

I think there is a point where teasing the details is a positive force which generates interest through the curiosity factor. For reasons I don't understand, Tesla has seemingly shot well past that point now and instead leaving even more questions and uncertainty which are impacting actual and potential customers alike. It's seemingly doing more harm than good by not simply showing how the features enhance the car you're also trying to sell. The seating, towing and overall utility with the radically different falcon wing doors are not on the same level as what does the new front grill look like, is there a vegan interior option or will it have infotainment built-in. It appears to be shooting yourself in the foot during your own protracted product launch. Just my $.02.

Remember that the second row of seats are supposed to do something so interesting that their functioning is being kept out of sight until Sept 29. Perhaps one of the options of this something interesting is to move in such a way to create space for cargo. We'll find out in just over 3 weeks.

Maybe the seat back can move forward so that the seats face the rear? That would give almost the same space as folding the backs down. Also the benefits of "club seating"... the five people in back can have a party while the Autopilot is on, like in the Ron Burgundy movie.

And, simply because I don't know the answer, do CUVs like the Audi Q7 (that is, the competition) have folding 2nd rows? I assume there's a third row at least.

I think there is a point where teasing the details is a positive force which generates interest through the curiosity factor. For reasons I don't understand, Tesla has seemingly shot well past that point now and instead leaving even more questions and uncertainty which are impacting actual and potential customers alike. It's seemingly doing more harm than good by not simply showing how the features enhance the car you're also trying to sell. The seating, towing and overall utility with the radically different falcon wing doors are not on the same level as what does the new front grill look like, is there a vegan interior option or will it have infotainment built-in. It appears to be shooting yourself in the foot during your own protracted product launch. Just my $.02.

I don't like it either, but it is really only a negative to investors. They still have no interest in creating sales for the X that they cannot deliver for 6 or more months. Incremental sales and interest are a net negative right now since they would osborne S sales.

car you're also trying to sell.
That is the problem, they aren't trying to sell the car. They may only ship 2,000 in Q4. We'll see. Maybe there aren't that many people who would buy a Model S instead of reserving and X but it still, at least to Tesla, may make more logical sense to not do anything to encourage Model X sales when someone tired of waiting might decide to buy a Model S instead.

I think there is a point where teasing the details is a positive force which generates interest through the curiosity factor. For reasons I don't understand, Tesla has seemingly shot well past that point now and instead leaving even more questions and uncertainty which are impacting actual and potential customers alike.

Exactly. I was trying to explain what's going on with the MX release to my wife and as I was talking about it I realized the release has gone from exciting to confusing and sort of miserable. Maybe it's just because I'm reading too much TMC - what do we think the MX launch looks like to the outside world?