Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional with non Falcon-Wing-Doors

Should Tesla make "normal" doors optional on the Model X

• Yes

Votes: 98 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 62.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multi-dimensional coin side "C": Build something which the customer does not know, has not anticipated, and cannot yet contemplate but which you have thought through and fully believe is going to provide huge benefits over the status quo ante once it's iterated and evolved a bit. Risky because your vision may simply be wrong, or the market may prove you right a few years after you've run out of money and failed... but potentially the biggest impact of all and at least a realistic option in some cases. Remember what Henry Ford said: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse."

That is part of Side A: You 'know' the customer wants this unknown risky awesome device.

To my surprise, 100% of the people who looked at the fw doors LOVED them. Not a single negative comment. Not a single '"Hmm, don't know how I feel about that." Instead, what I heard was "Cool!", "Look honey how easy it will be to get in the back!" I truly was surprised - even though I have no issue with the doors, it's clear from conversation here that many people do. So I expected a mix of answers. Tesla may have nailed this one.

I think I was one of those when i first saw the fw doors during the X reveal. Maybe it was a nice day that day. But, the first crappy weather, windy, rainy day that I happened to be thinking about owning an X I went... "Ooooooooo, I wonder...".

FWIW, I like the doors and think the potential weather trade-off will be worth it. Kids can deal with a little snow/rain. They got it too good lately and need to toughen up. I remember walking to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways...

....I think most buyers would face those situations a lot more frequently than the frozen snow on the roof scenario (sorry Norway members).
No need to apologize :) I fully understand that the doors will work better in other climates, and that most buyers live in climates quite different from Norway (in other words, do not listen to Norwegians, it`s bad for business :) )

I think I was one of those when i first saw the fw doors during the X reveal. Maybe it was a nice day that day. But, the first crappy weather, windy, rainy day that I happened to be thinking about owning an X I went... "Ooooooooo, I wonder...".

FWIW, I like the doors and think the potential weather trade-off will be worth it. Kids can deal with a little snow/rain. They got it too good lately and need to toughen up. I remember walking to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways...
Most people in this thread like the doors as well, but we`ve had more time to think about how they work than someone who just saw them....

By the way: Elon Musk was recently interviewed by a Norwegian journalist, and Musk explicitly stated that the production version of Model X would be close to identical to the prototype. In other words, it`s coming with falcon doors and probably no option for other doors :) I`ll wait a couple of years to see how they work. Hopefully better than expected!

Last edited:
but, but, but, what about using the X as an SUV, putting kayaks and such on top? at this point, it appears that our S has more sport utility.

There's a whole thread on transporting toys over here.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, who in their right mind would put a kayak on the 100k car's rooftop? :O
There are trailers for such occasions and there are other cars for such a people ...

Huh? I shouldn't buy a Tesla SUV because I want to use it as an SUV?

There ALWAYS are buts...
Seriously, who in their right mind would put a kayak on the 100k car's rooftop? :O
There are trailers for such occasions and there are other cars for such a people ...

While I do have a trailer for that, I would not hesitate to put a kayak on the roof of a 100k vehicle. That puts me squarely in the camp of 'such a people'.

Hi y'all!! :)

While I do have a trailer for that, I would not hesitate to put a kayak on the roof of a 100k vehicle. That puts me squarely in the camp of 'such a people'.

Hi y'all!! :)

Hay gurl! I put dogs in my S, and as long as there are roof racks or similar so its not just sitting and scratching the roof, I'd put toys up there as well. I buy my vehicles to use, not to be garage queens.

Too much innovation scares people away. Step-by-step approach will pay off, see Model S : a 'classic' looking car - not a weird design like Fisker or even the Leaf.

And another point : this year, we got 40 days of snow... Snow on top of the car : how will Falcon doors deal with that ?

Too much innovation scares people away. Step-by-step approach will pay off, see Model S : a 'classic' looking car - not a weird design like Fisker or even the Leaf.

And another point : this year, we got 40 days of snow... Snow on top of the car : how will Falcon doors deal with that ?

I dunno. How are Model S owners opening the back hatch door (which could also be called a gull wing door)?

Not so hard really. The top of the Falcon wings is glass so just like most rear windows today Tesla will have heated wires in the glass to melt the snow.
And with you phone app you can melt the snow remotely.
Falcon wings.JPG

WRT melting snow on the roof vs rear window - rear windows are steeply angled so gravity helps a lot by letting most of the snow just slide off once a liquid layer next to the glass has been created. The roof of the X is pretty flat so would be necessary to melt a lot more of the snow, requiring a lot more power which could be a problem if you're not plugged in. A very rough estimate is about 200 W for every cm/hr it's snowing. Very dry snow would be better and wet snow would be much worse.

WRT melting snow on the roof vs rear window - rear windows are steeply angled so gravity helps a lot by letting most of the snow just slide off once a liquid layer next to the glass has been created. The roof of the X is pretty flat so would be necessary to melt a lot more of the snow, requiring a lot more power which could be a problem if you're not plugged in. A very rough estimate is about 200 W for every cm/hr it's snowing. Very dry snow would be better and wet snow would be much worse.

Agree, my point was just to point out there are options and I expect Tesla will be as creative as possible now that the first winter for the Model S highlighted an area where they need to improve. Winter weather. And the heated wires in the glass is nothing more than a guess.

Roof wipers anyone:wink:

we buy our wheels to use them and we are blessed to live in a place where there is an almost endless list of fun outdoor things to do, so that would be us. so far, I've been able to do just about everything with the S that I used to do with the highlander. if the X doesn't have at least the sport utility of the S, it simply won't be on our list.

There ALWAYS are buts...