Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The doors aren't for show-off. They're so that you can easily place a child seat in them without wrecking your back. They also allow third row passengers to get in and out without removing the child seats. In North America child seats are mandatory when children are riding in the car.

That can be achieved with suicide doors without taking functionality away from the roof and I see no good reason to not offer it as an option if possible or if there is not some other way of using the falcon doors with a rack on top. Once we see that Tesla is offering a reasonable solution to this issue, we will likely become reservation holders. Where we live, yes, people do lots of out doors stuff or at least think they will when they go to buy a car. The constant challenge frankly is finding something with the space, clearance and ruggedness of a Subaru outback but without being forced into something that has poor gas mileage. I know some will argue I'm out of my mind to say that one of the markets the X could compete in is the Subaru Outback market as long as you can put a roof rack on it. Soo many folks I know go back and forth about this and just give in and buy a Subaru. The Subaru is the outdoor car of choice here. There are lots of folks who are willing to pay a lot more for a fancier version that supports an alternative fuel but one that still allows them to partake in all the water sports like kayaking and scuba diving and all the other amazing ourdoor stuff we have here and get over the snowy passes in all wheel drive, on zero gas. With the coming super charging network, the X could be very popular here. for us, we would like more overall roomyness for longer road trips than the S because my wife and I are both 6'3". I suspect that for a variety of reasons, there are a lot of S owners that also are considering being X owners as well, but since the utility of the vehicles is still a bit of a wild card as long as the promised solution for the storage is left a mystery, they are holding back on reserving till final version is announced.

I feel the same; if they could achieve the same opening with magically disappearing door panels i'd be just as happy w it.
So would I! That's my point. I have a strong feeling that many people on this forum have a Cognitive Bias towards theese doors ... because it is Tesla. I really don't see any disadvantages with sliding doors compared to Falcon doors (maybe except for show-off).
If you like the doors because they are cool, well that's ok.:cool:
If you like them because the are practical and have so many advantages over conventional/suicide/sliding doors, then mmhmmmhh! (I don't get it :rolleyes:).

I park in cramped spaces all the time. I also have kids who go into child seats, and I often need comfortable access to the third row. I do find the falcon wings FAR more practical than conventional doors. Not sure if other door types would match the wings' practicality, but I'll take those against conventional doors all day long. Very much looking forward to them.

Went by the Orlando service center today. The rep there told me that the falcon doors will make it to production but they are mulling another option for people to store things on the roof. At this point in the game I wonder if this would bring another delay to the introduction of the production X.

Since the falcon wing doors are primarily designed to allow easy access to the third row and to install child seats, I wouldn't mind seeing a conventional door version that also deletes the third row. Not everyone who wants utility necessarily has small children or needs to carry 7 passengers. They may prefer the ride height, cargo capacity, or all wheel drive (ignoring the potential AWD Model S). This would broaden the ideal market beyond just a minivan replacement for people with large families.

Since the falcon wing doors are primarily designed to allow easy access to the third row and to install child seats, I wouldn't mind seeing a conventional door version that also deletes the third row. Not everyone who wants utility necessarily has small children or needs to carry 7 passengers. They may prefer the ride height, cargo capacity, or all wheel drive (ignoring the potential AWD Model S). This would broaden the ideal market beyond just a minivan replacement for people with large families.

Our hybrid Hylander had a third row that folded down flat, it was awesome, seated 7 but most of the time we prefer having the kids in car seats in the second row, even in the S, so we are closer to them. fact is, they get into it with each other and still need closer supervision. The X's falcon doors solve a problem that just isn't that much of an issue for us, full roof access is, however. To us it's not an S vs X choice, it's that we want S + X, or if the falcon doors just don't do it, we are considering adding the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV. That would be a significant downgrade for us compared to the X, it's not a BEV and well, it's not a Tesla. in our family of 4, we like the idea of 7 seats, but really rarely need that third row. I'd be perfectly happy with with the highlander offers, regular doors, sliding second row seats that give access to the third row and the ability to lay the third row flush to the floor. Honestly, Toyota has it nailed with the configuration of the hylander but they are foolishly taking the long road on BEV's, so they will no longer get our business.

So would I! That's my point. I have a strong feeling that many people on this forum have a Cognitive Bias towards theese doors ... because it is Tesla. I really don't see any disadvantages with sliding doors compared to Falcon doors (maybe except for show-off).
If you like the doors because they are cool, well that's ok.:cool:
If you like them because the are practical and have so many advantages over conventional/suicide/sliding doors, then mmhmmmhh! (I don't get it :rolleyes:).

I agree there may be some cognitive bias; at the same time some things need to be experienced to be judged. I've had things that could be debated against all day and night, but 5 minutes or 5 days into actually tangibly interacting with it you realize your theoretical frames were incomplete. That's why my position is that I'm willing to help test the design hypothesis.

Maybe it helps that I work with professional designers and do rapid prototyping and I know sometimes the seemingly illogical option wins out; or that the novelty option turns out to be great but for none of the logically predicted reasons. Innovations are identified in retrospect.

I can't but think about the Steve Ballmer 2006/7? interview when he laughs at the iphone because it is $500, does email but doesn't have a keyboard.

I agree there may be some cognitive bias; at the same time some things need to be experienced to be judged. I've had things that could be debated against all day and night, but 5 minutes or 5 days into actually tangibly interacting with it you realize your theoretical frames were incomplete. That's why my position is that I'm willing to help test the design hypothesis.

Maybe it helps that I work with professional designers and do rapid prototyping and I know sometimes the seemingly illogical option wins out; or that the novelty option turns out to be great but for none of the logically predicted reasons. Innovations are identified in retrospect.

I can't but think about the Steve Ballmer 2006/7? interview when he laughs at the iphone because it is $500, does email but doesn't have a keyboard.

Exquisitely well put.

+1 Well put! I think right now this discussion is a bit theoretic / speculative at best. We would need to try the doors a few days and then decide how they are in real life before we dismiss them.

Model X proximity sensors on door that analyze the environment (stop before hit room/garage_door) - will change opening dynamics according to the environment.

skip to about 1h 13min 21s

Video: 90 Minutes of Tesla CEO Elon Musk and CTO JB Straubel Q&A in Norway

Last edited by a moderator: