Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delayed until Q3 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is very tactical. I believe that Bonnie will get her X in late May 2015. This will boost the stock price that may lag in spite of earnings increases. Random rewards(new products in this case) are the strongest reinforcers of actions(share price increases). I believe that the bigger battery will arrive July 2016. The model3 will arrive in 2018 or 2019 delayed due to the oil price war currently being waged by Saudi Arabia against Russia, Iran, and Iraq. The current price of gasoline will undercut efforts to electrify low cost driving. Climate deniers will also slow incentives.

It's easy to say that it's just a few extra months but after these multiple delays it's hard to have any confidence in any release date Tesla gives at this point. The best case scenario now is that the X will be released a year and half later than it was originally supposed to be. That combined with the absolutely horrible communication the company has with the reservation holders leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that Tesla has had my 5k for almost two years and the only way I hear that the car is delayed again is from a shareholder call definitely bothers me.

It's easy to say that it's just a few extra months but after these multiple delays it's hard to have any confidence in any release date Tesla gives at this point. The best case scenario now is that the X will be released a year and half later than it was originally supposed to be. That combined with the absolutely horrible communication the company has with the reservation holders leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that Tesla has had my 5k for almost two years and the only way I hear that the car is delayed again is from a shareholder call definitely bothers me.

You could cancel your reservation, especially if you'd get a higher spec.

I'm painfully close to pulling the trigger on an S now, but hold on to my reservation to see what awaits in the future. By the time the amazing X arrives, I may sell my S... and who knows how many years I will have had it. ;-)

(I wish I had done so a year ago!)

I think people that are bailing on the Model X now are making a big mistake. If you listen to Elon on the call, he almost gets teary-eyed when talking about how special the Model X is going to be. He said it several times! Be patient.

Which means absolutely nothing unless his definition of special and my definition of special happens to be the same. I want an SUV with fold down (not remove able) third row seats that has significant flat cargo area. Will the Model X have this? Who the heck knows. Having an SUV that can do 0-60 in 2.4 seconds or whatever and second row seats that swivel is just meh for me.

I am naive. I am an early adopter. I don't have a Leaf, or a Range Rover...or a car. I am in New York for a year, riding public transportation. It would have been very convenient for my Model X to be waiting for me in my driveway when I got back home. Tesla was unaware of this and made a business decision that they knew would be unpopular to do what was both best for Tesla and best for adoption of EV's worldwide. If you give up your Model X reservation because Tesla decided to do what was best for Tesla and for widespread adoption of EV's worldwide, then maybe you should settle for ICE technology for the rest of your life. Cancel your reservation, many....millions eventually, will fill your place, and I will get my X sooner.

No one seems to have patience anymore. If you think about what is happening here with Tesla you need to get some perspective, this is a new company and the fact that they are still in business is amazing. We see what an incredible car they are producing and now see the volume and assume they have been around forever. No one wants to wait for anything, we must have it now and although I would like to get my Model X sooner rather than later, I will wait. All good things will eventually come to those that are patient. Just be happy that there is a company called Tesla and a person named Elon. Without him we would have to drive something that is a compromise if we want an all electric car.

Tesla is special, no doubt about it, but posts like these make me cringe. Here's another view:

- Tesla is doing what they feel is best for Tesla - and, to an extent, to EV adoption (with vested interest)
- Tesla buyers should do what's best for themselves - and perhaps to EV adoption if they choose the cause

These may not always be the same thing and to suggest otherwise seems a little weird to me. Really, settle for ICE for life if you don't want to wait for Model X? Seriously, we can be happy about and root for Tesla, without bowing down to their every move either.

Elon is special, but he didn't start Tesla and isn't the only reason it keeps going. Tesla will be special even after Elon leaves for Mars. This is not to diminish Elon's value, but to not diminish the value of tons of other great people at Tesla as well.

As for myself, late 2015 start fits perfectly well into my personal schedule, as I'm not on any constrained schedule and my P85 meanwhiler is fun everyday. No need to change my Model X plans. But I do feel for the guys who've waiting for much longer than myself, though.

It does suck Tesla continues to be so vague about it, but it is what it is. I still think a semi-frequent update to those who've waited the longest would be a fair thing to do.

Judging by the Elon Musk investor call (?) quote posted earlier, the delay may be related to more than just doors, but to some apparently very new features being introduced with the Model X. Swiveling second row... What else perhaps? The drivetrain itself seems to be ready according to the quote but previous tidbits have suggested even there they might still work on the efficiency and weight of it all?

Tesla is special, no doubt about it, but posts like these make me cringe. Here's another view:

- Tesla is doing what they feel is best for Tesla - and, to an extent, to EV adoption (with vested interest)
- Tesla buyers should do what's best for themselves - and perhaps to EV adoption if they choose the cause

These may not always be the same thing and to suggest otherwise seems a little weird to me. Really, settle for ICE for life if you don't want to wait for Model X? Seriously, we can be happy about and root for Tesla, without bowing down to their every move either.

Elon is special, but he didn't start Tesla and isn't the only reason it keeps going. Tesla will be special even after Elon leaves for Mars. This is not to diminish Elon's value, but to not diminish the value of tons of other great people at Tesla as well.

As for myself, late 2015 start fits perfectly well into my personal schedule, as I'm not on any constrained schedule and my P85 meanwhiler is fun everyday. No need to change my Model X plans. But I do feel for the guys who've waiting for much longer than myself, though.

It does suck Tesla continues to be so vague about it, but it is what it is. I still think a semi-frequent update to those who've waited the longest would be a fair thing to do.
Can you explain why my statement makes you cringe, the truth is that all of what I said is reality for any company that is trying to do something that has never been done. Is the communication less than perfect, yes, could they do a better job, yes. Who has ever been successful as an independent car company let alone an all electric car company. No one 10 years ago would have said this company will survive, now everyone says why all the delays. It is not just Telsa that would make me says these things, but any company trying to accomplish a monumental task such as this.

Who's bowing to what move? People are consciously choosing to be okay with waiting a bit longer for the Model X. They've got their reasons and it's not a bad thing. I'll also bet that when all is said and done most people will quickly forget there ever was a delay because they'll be gushing over the Model X, and those that remember will be saying; 'It was totally worth the wait.'

Fact: He saved Tesla, more than once.
Fact: The timing of Elon's departure from the position of CEO at Tesla is crucial.
Suspicion based on the nature of people: The other great people at Tesla get plenty of credit behind the scenes. Those kind of people don't play doormat very well. I wouldn't worry about them.

Obviously Tesla couldn't go on without everyone that is involved, but like many a great team Tesla is built around a key player, a key strategy. As Elon goes, so does Tesla. For now.

Who's bowing to what move? People are consciously choosing to be okay with waiting a bit longer for the Model X. They've got their reasons and it's not a bad thing. I'll also bet that when all is said and done most people will quickly forget there ever was a delay because they'll be gushing over the Model X, and those that remember will be saying; 'It was totally worth the wait.'

Nothing wrong with consciously choosing to be okay - I am personally okay with this delay too, as I mentioned. What made me cringe was this:

"If you give up your Model X reservation because Tesla decided to do what was best for Tesla and for widespread adoption of EV's worldwide, then maybe you should settle for ICE technology for the rest of your life."

"No one seems to have patience anymore. If you think about what is happening here with Tesla you need to get some perspective..."

These are not people just choosing to be okay with it, they imply others should be happy too. The suggestion that Tesla should be above criticism or even disappointment, made me cringe.

Fact: He saved Tesla, more than once.
Fact: The timing of Elon's departure from the position of CEO at Tesla is crucial.
Suspicion based on the nature of people: The other great people at Tesla get plenty of credit behind the scenes. Those kind of people don't play doormat very well. I wouldn't worry about them.

I don't worry about the other people, nor would I discount Elon Musk - any more than I would have discounted Steve Jobs at Apple. I worry, a little, about excessive hero worship and what that does to conversation, though.

I certainly wouldn't want the conversation of Tesla news to come to, and I quote: "Just be happy that there is a company called Tesla and a person named Elon."

Can you explain why my statement makes you cringe, the truth is that all of what I said is reality for any company that is trying to do something that has never been done. Is the communication less than perfect, yes, could they do a better job, yes. Who has ever been successful as an independent car company let alone an all electric car company. No one 10 years ago would have said this company will survive, now everyone says why all the delays. It is not just Telsa that would make me says these things, but any company trying to accomplish a monumental task such as this.

Going simply by what you wrote at the time, of course, what made me cringe the most was the suggestion we should "just be happy" there is someone like Tesla and Elon Musk. We can be perfectly happy about that, while still objective about the steps and missteps they take, right? And we are still allowed to feel disappointed when a company or a person fails to deliver (if that is how we feel).

As for who has been successful with an independent car company, I don't know, August Horch? Ferdinand Porsche? Henry Ford? :) I am definitely not trying to belittle the monumental task at hand, nor the incredible leap Tesla has taken - the posting in my signature should be proof plenty - but I cringed at the notion that said fact should somehow put Tesla above criticism and we should "just be happy".

Or as the other poster put it, "If you give up your Model X reservation..., then maybe you should settle for ICE technology for the rest of your life." That kind of stuff makes me cringe, that's just silly talk. Tesla is now a public company that takes reservations (with money paid) and sells stuff, they are definitely not above conversation no matter how great they are - and they are great.

Going simply by what you wrote at the time, of course, what made me cringe the most was the suggestion we should "just be happy" there is someone like Tesla and Elon Musk. We can be perfectly happy about that, while still objective about the steps and missteps they take, right? And we are still allowed to feel disappointed when a company or a person fails to deliver (if that is how we feel).

As for who has been successful with an independent car company, I don't know, August Horch? Ferdinand Porsche? Henry Ford? :) I am definitely not trying to belittle the monumental task at hand, nor the incredible leap Tesla has taken - the posting in my signature should be proof plenty - but I cringed at the notion that said fact should somehow put Tesla above criticism and we should "just be happy".

Or as the other poster put it, "If you give up your Model X reservation..., then maybe you should settle for ICE technology for the rest of your life." That kind of stuff makes me cringe, that's just silly talk. Tesla is now a public company that takes reservations (with money paid) and sells stuff, they are definitely not above conversation no matter how great they are - and they are great.

Thank you. MX is just another car. Even worth, at this moment it's half car, half vaporware, as I see it. But it's definitely not a religion or a marriage.

I respect everyone's opinion but do not think it is "just another car".

All cars, especially ones in the expensive part of the price spectrum, has a special thing or two to make them "not just another car". But all of them are mass-produced items with quite similar characteristics and features, including Tesla's MS and MX (yours Cap :) ).
MX is not the only electric SUV on the market (in fact SAV, there is not that many "Utility" in $100k car), and I doubt it will be the best in a very short time frame after release, which, I bet, will be delayed again early next year. Other companies are working on there EVs and unlike Tesla they have a lot of car-specific things and manufacturing already ironed-out.

P.S. I remember the crowd around the Chrysler dealership lining up to buy a freshly released PT Cruiser. I thought it's an angry mob attacking the dealership for a complete different reason :)

MX is not the only electric SUV on the market (in fact SAV, there is not that many "Utility" in $100k car), and I doubt it will be the best in a very short time frame after release, which, I bet, will be delayed again early next year.

Aside from the Toyota Rav4 EV (which has finished production, and used Tesla technology), I'd love to know what other all-electric SUVs are on the market. Please enlighten me so I can have an alternative if my production Model X isn't released next year.

RAV4 EV used Tesla technology only in the last iteration, it's already in production and looks like a good competitor. Anywhere we have at least 1+ year for some other company to anaunse there MX competitor, so be patient :)

>Rav4 EV which has finished production
People, who work in start-ups usually say - if you don't have competitors in the area you chose for the company then you probably chose a wrong area.