Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 6 Seater : Camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been really interested in the Model X recently (suits my use case the most), but really want the Plaid model. Got into car camping recently, so am currently doubting the 6 seater arrangement. Has anyone (preferably, two people) camped in their six seat Model X?

Been really interested in the Model X recently (suits my use case the most), but really want the Plaid model. Got into car camping recently, so am currently doubting the 6 seater arrangement. Has anyone (preferably, two people) camped in their six seat Model X?
Definately not for two. I have a fridge between the 2nd row captains that works great to put my feet on but this would not be comfortable arrangement with two.

UraYAej.jpg

I took out my seats on my p x by accident, after I got rear ended and before taking it to the body shop. if I scratched the car myself I will be okay with it, if the body shop scratched it i will pull my hair and pull the hair out of the lady that works there. I almost pull the trigger on the plaid x last month when it was on promotion with 3 years unlimited supercharge until I ask my wife for her opinion, I have a bad habit of not selling the cars that I own so she’s was not too happy with the idea of owning three p teslas I think a plaid x 2 seater would be one of the best street road cars on the market with the rear seats out. The x without all the rear seats weighs close to a S, not saying the s is light. I hated my x when it had all the seats, windows is too dark the rear seats blocks 80% of the rear view the low hp at low battery makes it a very unconfident car to drive. But with the rear seats out the x has a higher ground clearance than the S, one could really go crazy on bad street roads and interstate ramps. you can’t realistically take your dog with you to w or Sofia hotel most Hyatt don’t allow dogs either most Airbnb has bed bugs or just filthy plus there are some places without nice hotels. it will be worth it when you take your boat and your dog to the Florida keys campground after a good nights sleep of steady 69 degrees whole night and perfect humidity in your x’s cabin, get woken in the morning from your dog barking at noisy boat engines and loud noises of boat wake smashing on shore rocks inches away from your campsite and then the drive to the store after realizing forgotten something that’s needed. Or wake up in some deserts lake in California or Arizona. I m 5’10 and I don’t even have to move the front seat forward to straighten my legs in the back. The x’s climate control sure beats the airstream international for sure. The only problem after removing the rear seats is the firmware updates has anyone figured a workaround? I tried resistors it didn’t work, have not dig deeper into solving the problem yet but when I have time I will definitely dig deeper into it hopefully someone will come up with a solution before I do. I did though about getting the fold down 5 seater rear bench seats for the rear to solve the problem not sure if the weight from doing that will ruined it or not.

Been really interested in the Model X recently (suits my use case the most), but really want the Plaid model. Got into car camping recently, so am currently doubting the 6 seater arrangement.
The six seater option trades utility for comfort. Disappointing Tesla does not offer the Plaid in a 5/7 (or even 4 seater...) config, but there it is.

If your goal is to sleep in the X (more on this in a second) comfortably, the Plaid's off the table. If you're willing to deal with a camper being towed behind your X, then you're probably going be okay with the Plaid.

Has anyone (preferably, two people) camped in their six seat Model X?
No, 7 seater here but have comfortably slept in my X.

Bought a dreamcase and use it somewhat regularly. Use it with the large section of the middle seat row folded flat and leave the smaller section up and it works where I, a 6' male, can lay down flat. Note: dreamcase will not work in the six seater.

You'll also want some kind of privacy screen too; I got these and have been pleased.

A bro gave me his Whynter portable cooler, which I leave where the smaller part of the second row so it does not get in the way of the dreamcase when I've got it out and it leaves the front seat open.

Also got a Stowaway2 and have been pleased with it; useful to have for long trips but backing up and SC'ing can be tricky.

Bottom line: X is a solid camping option for one but two might be would be tight.

The only problem after removing the rear seats is the firmware updates has anyone figured a workaround?
Unaware of one but would hope someone figures out a work around.

Doesn't sound like there's a workaround for firmware updates nor the error code, see this thread: My Tesla camper

Would be nice if we could order a product that sends the MCU whatever it needs to ignore that the seats are out and that it can still update the firmware. Otherwise an update would require either a seat re-install or at least reconnecting the cables.

The only problem after removing the rear seats is the firmware updates
has anyone figured a workaround?
I tried resistors it didn’t work, have not dig deeper into solving the problem yet but when I have time
I will definitely dig deeper into it hopefully someone will come up with a solution before I do.
I did though about getting the fold down 5 seater rear bench seats for the rear to solve the problem
not sure if the weight from doing that will ruined it or not.

Another option is to remove the air bags from the seats and to put them underneath the floor
and reconnect them back to the harnesses. See below video:

However, someone made the following comment to this video:

Many years ago I worked in vehicle crash testing.
If you place a 2.2 ohm resistor in the Airbag connector (in lieu of the airbag)
the car will "think" the airbag is connected.
I removed the rear seats in my Lexus LX570 and used 2.2 ohm resistors for this.
Also note that as you disconnect an airbag,
a tiny metal clip inside the airbag plug shorts the pins together
to prevent any stray voltage from randomly triggering the airbag firing squib.
Take extreme car when disconnecting/plugging them in.
Never leave them on a hard surface face down,
and don't chuck them around like that.
Having them in them removed from the seats and stashed
in the cabin somewhere is a very dangerous idea.

Another intersting comment:

if you have a tesla toolbox 3 subscription you should put the car in seat install mode
before disconnecting any wiring ..it disables the air bag system

Also, the final inside video of the Model X :

Also anyone they retrofitting a center seat into a plaid for temporary extra seating? I’ve seen the slim middle seat from old model x available from ebay. We have family visit from time to time and squeezing into our 7 seater Y takes gymnastics and there’s only 6 seats in our 2023 X Plaid and even if you block the middle isle, the x is way easier to get into the 3rd row compared to the Y.