Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder why someone (that knows how to program well) is not offering cool apps like this for sale.
I would be willing to pay for apps like this, I think there are others that would too.

Even something as simple as a icon on the screen to press for turning on the air - it does all the rest behind the scenes - it could give you a chime when done, or a buzz if unable.
...Instead of pressing the T icon, waiting for the circle going round and round, then pressing the climate, circle goes round and round, then pressing the 'on' and the circle goes round and round.
When they offer an official SDK, you can bet some of these apps will arrive.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned before, I searched and couldn't find it.

A mileage log app. One you could sit in the car tap a start trip button. Type in a reason. Tap end trip button when done. Then you could plug in a USB drive and dump the log file to a csv file for tax purposes.

I hope TM reads this forum :)

Not sure if this was mentioned before, I searched and couldn't find it.

A mileage log app. One you could sit in the car tap a start trip button. Type in a reason. Tap end trip button when done. Then you could plug in a USB drive and dump the log file to a csv file for tax purposes.

I hope TM reads this forum :)

Easy to do, except for the USB in the car part. But a start stop button on a web app connected to teslams... I can have that for you by Monday :)
What exactly would you like exported? GPS locations of the whole trip? Just start stop time plus total mileage? Certainly not your speed... What else?

I would love to have..
1. Indication of nearby charging stations as you drive. Also, charging stations on the way when you set a course.
2. A larger sun visor.
3. Navigation voice control/mute -sometimes, it becomes an annoyance.
4. Option of various routes and driving options available in the monitor.
5. Front side cameras. I had dented my Lexus front end twice when I tried to park in a lot with concrete columns. Tesla S has similar
peripheral vision" block at the front corners.
6. I wish they had not changed the position of turn signal and cruise control. It would have been great if CC has been on the steering.
7. Lincoln rear camera view has three lines, closer you get greater is the beeping. I find it very convenient.
8. Easy way to get rid of items from the screen after a search.

I wish the app would queue up commands.

Even be able to off the phone immediately after punching in the settings (including unlock) - nothing's worse that waiting for an app of for confirmation that something's done.

I'd like to pull out the phone tap tap tap and 10 seconds later the phone is back in my pocket doing what it's supposed to do in the background.

@dirkhh +1!

Webapp with logging into a database with information about private/company usage would be really nice!

Easy to do, except for the USB in the car part. But a start stop button on a web app connected to teslams... I can have that for you by Monday :)
What exactly would you like exported? GPS locations of the whole trip? Just start stop time plus total mileage? Certainly not your speed... What else?

I would love to have..
2. A larger sun visor
Not a firmware issue ;-)
3. Navigation voice control/mute -sometimes, it becomes an annoyance.
This is already there; tap the bottom of the directions box, and it unfolds to provide volume control, including mute.[/QUOTE]
4. Option of various routes and driving options available in the monitor.
good call; I'd like this to be like Google maps.
5. Front side cameras. I had dented my Lexus front end twice when I tried to park in a lot with concrete columns. Tesla S has similar peripheral vision" block at the front corners.
6. I wish they had not changed the position of turn signal and cruise control. It would have been great if CC has been on the steering.
Not a firmware issues ;-) besides, the stalk controls are just like a MB.
7. Lincoln rear camera view has three lines, closer you get greater is the beeping. I find it very convenient.
8. Easy way to get rid of items from the screen after a search.
Good points, though please don't have the sensors make noise, unless we want it.

@dirkhh +1!

Webapp with logging into a database with information about private/company usage would be really nice!

Done. Should show up in teslams soon (waiting for Hans to pull my changes).
Right now this is still a tiny bit tricky. You need
  • a system to run streaming and visualize on (ideally a server that's always on and easy to reach from the internet)
  • either set up a proxy that makes the node.js server available on it's own domain, or open up the port that you are running it on (by default 8766)
  • point the in car browser to "http://your.domain/trip
Then select the type of trip, enter the trip name, hit Start when you start (the text on the button turns into 'Stop trip') hit Stop when you are done and it will write a record into the database running on the server.
Right now the page is quite ugly and there is no UI to get the data out of the database, but I first wanted to hear some feedback if this is what people need or if you had something else in mind.
The database entry contains trip type, name, start time, end time and total distance. Is that all you need? You'll get something like this (timestamps are msec since Jan 1st, 1970 - easy to convert into any date format you want):

Code:
> db.trip_data.find()
{ "name" : "Personal Test", "type" : "personal", "dist" : "0.0", "from" : "1378181104300", "to" : "1378181114327" }

Anyway - as promised, delivered by Monday :)

TripTracker.png

For charging locations you've previously used, this is already available in 4.5 firmware.
Yes, but it's a shame that it can't pull PlugShare info, or something along those lines.

Another option that would keep all the data "inside the family" would be to allow a Model S driver to "push" the location of a charger to a Tesla database, which is then accessible to all Model Ss -- in much the same way that Tesla "pushes" the SuperCharger locations. You might not want to push your home's HPWC, but you might when you successfully charge at a public location.

I would suggest that you don't try it as this webpage requires your Tesla credentials. Which means the people with access to its database can track your car and unlock your car (among other, less freaky things).
So no, I would never suggest someone use such a site and I find it quite strange that someone would advertise such a site here without an appropriate disclaimer.
That's why I am contributing to an open source project where you run all this on your own system and can inspect every line of code and be certain that no one has access to your credentials (and your car).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but it's a shame that it can't pull PlugShare info, or something along those lines.

Another option that would keep all the data "inside the family" would be to allow a Model S driver to "push" the location of a charger to a Tesla database, which is then accessible to all Model Ss -- in much the same way that Tesla "pushes" the SuperCharger locations. You might not want to push your home's HPWC, but you might when you successfully charge at a public location.
I agree, but they need to design and implement this concept before your larger concept is viable.

Requests:

- Lifetime energy tracker... actual kw used, avg kw/mi used, actual kw regen

- unlock the car turns on climate control - perhaps even activated when inside temp is greater than a certain temp (say > 20deg F)

- Gps activated apps - I use the rear view when arriving at home (for parking). Then toggle off app when leaving home.

Done. Should show up in teslams soon (waiting for Hans to pull my changes).
Right now this is still a tiny bit tricky. You need
  • a system to run streaming and visualize on (ideally a server that's always on and easy to reach from the internet)
  • either set up a proxy that makes the node.js server available on it's own domain, or open up the port that you are running it on (by default 8766)
  • point the in car browser to "http://your.domain/trip
Then select the type of trip, enter the trip name, hit Start when you start (the text on the button turns into 'Stop trip') hit Stop when you are done and it will write a record into the database running on the server.
Right now the page is quite ugly and there is no UI to get the data out of the database, but I first wanted to hear some feedback if this is what people need or if you had something else in mind.
The database entry contains trip type, name, start time, end time and total distance. Is that all you need? You'll get something like this (timestamps are msec since Jan 1st, 1970 - easy to convert into any date format you want):

Code:
> db.trip_data.find()
{ "name" : "Personal Test", "type" : "personal", "dist" : "0.0", "from" : "[URL="tel:1378181104300"]1378181104300[/URL]", "to" : "[URL="tel:1378181114327"]1378181114327[/URL]" }

Anyway - as promised, delivered by Monday :)

View attachment 29775

thats awesome. Now I just need my car. 2 weeks yet. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a server that I can set it up on too. I will give you feedback when we take delivery.

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread:

1. I'd like to have the climate control fan automatically slow to a nearly noiseless speed when making a phone call. My wife's GM car does this and it's a nice feature.

As it stands, I turn off the climate control entirely when making a call just because it's an easy one-button click. But it's uncomfortable. Yes, I could put fan speed on one of the wheel scrolls, but I use those for other stuff.

As it stands, I turn off the climate control entirely when making a call just because it's an easy one-button click. But it's uncomfortable. Yes, I could put fan speed on one of the wheel scrolls, but I use those for other stuff.

I leave Range Mode on all the time, which limits the AC fan to a level perfect for phone calls. It is not uncomfortable and not distracting for calls. Even on the hottest days and road trips driving southbound into the noonday sun. :)