Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents are Signature customers who are still on the pre V4.0 software as well. It makes sense for them to freeze everyone at their current version if they haven't had major problems until they sorted some things out. It seems they have addressed most issues with V4.2 so hopefully the bigger rollout will start happening.

This is what I keep telling myself.

That said, the issue, of course, is a little knowledge can be dangerous. If I were completely oblivious to the updates that have occurred I wouldn't be concerned about getting the updates. Human nature is to be at least slightly annoyed that people who got their cars much later (and didn't pay the Sig premium) are getting newer versions of the software before me, especially with certain features that I'd like to have (e.g., auto-presenting door handles, sleep mode etc.). Being on these forums provides a little too much information because then Billott's criticisms seem reasonable -- just tell us the order so we know roughly when we can expect the update, because every time I get into my car I'm just ever so slightly disappointed not to see the little alarm clock in there.

These are problems no other car maker has ever had before, so it's not surprising that Tesla has no plan to deal with frustrated/impatient owners. I keep telling myself that I'm cool with it because my car is awesome and but for reading these forums (and having a neighbor with 4.1) I wouldn't have a clue that there's something better out there that I'm "waiting" for. These are new problems for all of us, and something we'll just need to get used to, I suppose.

BTW, we rarely discuss how unbelievably cool it is that we even are having a discussion about software updates to our cars! I mean, I don't think anyone with an MB or BMW have to worry about the order in which they get their software updated remotely :) Always good to try to keep a little perspective on these things.

Arnold, I feel for you too, because I am in the same boat. We had 4 S's at our EV Club meeting on Tuesday. Mine was the only one with the pre 4.0 software. The other 2 Signature models there one made before mine and one after mine both had the new version plus the regular production one that was there. I really want those auto presenting handles and to finally get my google maps working again on the big screen.

I just got my first update from 4.0 at delivery to 4.2, which appears to have been rolled out to everyone.

Quite simply, the update progress and planning for car firmware is not any business of the owner. When it comes in, you can choose to update, but asking for full transparency in their day to day planning is obnoxious and does nothing more than waste their time that could have been spent fixing problems and getting better software out the door. Leave them alone and let them do their damn jobs!

I heard about the update mid November. When I asked about dates, I was told within 2 weeks. Four weeks later having not received the code, I asked how I would know if I was overlooked. The answer was it's coming in a few weeks. Clearly not answering the question. (BTW I was below 4.0 until this morning.) Given a half dozen exchanges, none if which answered my question, I posted my last response.

Development is hard, There are plenty of things beyond the developer's control. WHen they happen, one has to put the right resources to work them for as long as necessary. That's why you have to control the things you can control. This is an issue of their own making. I hope they do not take your view point; that the software updates are not the customers business. If they do they will not be in business long. I want them to suceed.

In one respect I absolutlely agree with you. I should not have posted my last email to this blog. It stired up the people that are "in the same boat". But no one is questioning why there needs to be "a boat".

My last post on this subject, I promise.

I don't buy the story of AT&T being over-loaded by Tesla's updates. There just are not that many cars out there yet, and the data files, while large, are not over-bearing. Think about all the data being transmitted via AT&T (or Verizon or Sprint) each time the iPhone is updated or an Android phone gets updated. While the data files are smaller, the number of users are far, far greater, so the total amount of data being transmitted is huge. I think there is another reason, and AT&T is just being used as a convenient excuse.

I don't buy the story of AT&T being over-loaded by Tesla's updates. There just are not that many cars out there yet, and the data files, while large, are not over-bearing. Think about all the data being transmitted via AT&T (or Verizon or Sprint) each time the iPhone is updated or an Android phone gets updated. While the data files are smaller, the number of users are far, far greater, so the total amount of data being transmitted is huge. I think there is another reason, and AT&T is just being used as a convenient excuse.

100% agree

In one respect I absolutely agree with you. I should not have posted my last email to this blog. It stirred up the people that are "in the same boat". But no one is questioning why there needs to be "a boat".

Great point about why there is a "boat" in the first place, and the right question to ask. A fellow S owner once said to me that Tesla is a "squeaky wheel" company where those who are noisy and complain definitely get preferential treatment. We both agreed this was an incredibly unfortunate reputation for Tesla to be getting, but this is the reality of the situation. Hopefully they will fix this in the long run.

Totally agree, no way could this even make a dent in AT&Ts data volumes. Hypothesis on 4.2 thread that Tesla is putting out 200 randomly selected 4.2 updates per night makes much more sense. On one hand, you want everyone on the same release because support is easier. On the other hand, you don't want jam it all out there at the same time, and 200 per night (which suggests they'll get everyone within a couple of weeks) gives time to react if any significant problems crop up.

I want to add this: my last 3 cars were Merc, BMW, Jag in that order. All of which only got software updates when I brought them into the dealer. Sometimes only if I asked. I never got a call from dealer saying "release 4.2 is in". So, I may have updated a year after the software was released. And believe me, every one of those cars had bugs worse than taking 2 swipes to open the sunroof. While I can understand frustration from some about the seemingly random nature of updates, and particularly non-responsiveness when "pushes" are specifically requested, on the whole I think we are getting service way above the industry standard.

I want to add this: my last 3 cars were Merc, BMW, Jag in that order. All of which only got software updates when I brought them into the dealer. Sometimes only if I asked. I never got a call from dealer saying "release 4.2 is in". So, I may have updated a year after the software was released. And believe me, every one of those cars had bugs worse than taking 2 swipes to open the sunroof. While I can understand frustration from some about the seemingly random nature of updates, and particularly non-responsiveness when "pushes" are specifically requested, on the whole I think we are getting service way above the industry standard.

AMEN brother. hafta say this age of 24 second news cycles, realtime video blogs, over-the-air software updates, etc etc.. is making everyone manic. this is a huge undertaking tesla has... erm, undertaken, and they are doing a, dare i say, marvelous, job at it. on the one hand everyone complains features aren't propagated early enough, on the very other hand they all complain that there are too many bugs to deal with and telsa isn't propagating new firmware quickly enough. well, they go hand in hand (to complete the metaphor) and i really think people would benefit from sitting back a bit and letting tesla, who obviously know what they're doing, figure it all out. it will happen in due time. WE ARE EARLY ADOPTERS. you crowded in line to get the brand spanking new car with the brand spanking new technology... now deal with it. not to be harsh, but really. there are a lot of very indignant sounding posts on here, as if tesla is personally insulting the poster by not responding, or not updating their firmware or not rolling out their software feature of choice.... it's ludicrous. yes, we've all paid a lot of money. but we knew what we were getting. and getting in to. this is a NEW CAR COMPANY. of course they have ramp up and quality control and system design and part sourcing and all the rest of it issues to deal with..... please show a little restraint in flinging accusations and vitriol. patience is a virtue and all good things come to those who wait. i have taken to posting when i have good things happen if for no other reason than to offset the overwhelmingly picayune and entitled tone that much of this board seems sodden with at times. please gain some perspective here, and realize too that many prospective owners are hanging on our every word as early owners and what we say matters. not that real issues shouldn't be openly and plainly discussed, of course, that's why we're here, but... at the same time, a little perspective in managing expectations and, well.. manners, is in order.

my 2¢.

This.

I remember taking my 5 in for something and they were "forced" to do an update that COMPLETELY changed my navigation. It was miles ahead of what I had before and it had apparently been out for something close to a year. WTF.

Part of the reason for the random release of the software updates I was told yesterday is that ATT complained loudly to Tesla that they were overloading their data network with updates when too many were uploaded all at once.
They need to work at getting updates to run from the USB. Would solve bandwidth and low signal strength issues.

Regarding AT&T and bandwidth issues--for what it's worth--I talked about this with a Tesla Ranger. He said:

-A high volume of updates put out in the last update cycle did indeed crash an entire AT&T cell tower and knock it offline.
-He estimated the updates at 1/2 GB to 1 GB per car. That's a lot of bandwidth. ~3 TB for the cars that are out there now. That's a lot for 3G connections.
-None of this will matter once WiFi's enabled.

A fellow S owner once said to me that Tesla is a "squeaky wheel" company where those who are noisy and complain definitely get preferential treatment. We both agreed this was an incredibly unfortunate reputation for Tesla to be getting, but this is the reality of the situation. Hopefully they will fix this in the long run.

But this is EXACTLY what Tesla needs to be doing at this time. The reputation for the Model S is being established by the experience of the first buyers. If there is a dissatisfied "squeaky wheel", they need to lubricate it so that Tesla's responsiveness turns an unhappy customer into a positive reference.