Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that the price increase seems to have been successful. My thesis has always been that they put through that increase primarily to depress demand to a rate that they could manage. It's early, but this graphic seems to indicate that the exponential rise in reservation rates has been stopped. Of course, this could just been a January hangover from holiday spending and the rate might resume it's previous course shortly.

I'm actually batting around the idea that a substantial number of reservation holders didn't want to finalize when they were asked last year, and so they cancelled and re-reserved thinking they wouldn't be asked to finalize for another 6 months (while locking in the low price). Likely they were quickly flushed out in January as Tesla moved through the list of committed buyers.

Still a pretty decent worldwide reservation rate though, especially when combined with Model X reservations.

- - - Updated - - -

Gas prices here in California are rising sharply... Again
Once we get to near 5 dollars per gallon, we're going to see a few people dump their luxury gas guzzlers

I agree. I'd like to see Tesla start advertising in California. It's easily the best market for Tesla to start focusing on, with high ownership densities, extensive EV infrastructure and the most green conscious car consumers in the country.

I agree. I'd like to see Tesla start advertising in California. It's easily the best market for Tesla to start focusing on, with high ownership densities, extensive EV infrastructure and the most green conscious car consumers in the country.

Maybe Tesla should hold off on advertising for now. It saves money, but it also gives them a chance to get rid of the backlog of orders. A waiting period of 3-5 months for most US orders and still 5-10 months for European orders is too much. They should bring that down first, which will also make buying a Model S more attractive (who wants to wait for half a year?). Musk said something along these lines yesterday.

Once the backlog has been reduced they can start creating more demand with advertising and rolling out the European and Asian store-network. If the reservation rate would be 400-500 per week now, instead of the 300+ it is, they would keep the backlog and long waits. In that case they could ofcourse raise production, but the margin would suffer (as they explained yesterday in the earnings call; they are now focussed on streamlining the production process and cost control). So I'm fine with the number of orders they are getting now. The expansion can come towards the end of the year and in 2014.

So I'm fine with the number of orders they are getting now. The expansion can come towards the end of the year and in 2014.

So am I - also wanting to get my S delivered in the EU / The Netherlands ASAP.
AND - as the cars are being delivered worldwide to their new owners - the effect of self-selling will increase demand.
I think that for every S sold the new owner will convince at least two others to also buy one.

Was I under a rock for the past (how long?)

When did this start happening? It's no fun speculating any more!!! And all the TMC statisticians are made redundant?

There were a couple of days where the numbers didn't show up on the website, but now they are back. Try checking the website to see if the reservation number isn't there. (small print, lower left)

When do you finalize?
I'll finalize in about a month. It seem that they let you finalize any time now, which I didn't realize so I need to make sure the financing is all in place before I can 100% commit.

- - - Updated - - -

Was I under a rock for the past (how long?)

When did this start happening? It's no fun speculating any more!!! And all the TMC statisticians are made redundant?

There were a couple of days where the numbers didn't show up on the website, but now they are back. Try checking the website to see if the reservation number isn't there. (small print, lower left)

All I see is RN###### which clearly isn't the same as the old sequence numbers. I think they've stopped using the sequence numbers. I have the option to design and finalize right away, and they said it would only be about 2 months after finalizing if I didn't get the red, 40 kWh, or standard suspension. I was caught off guard by it as well.

I wondered about that. I think the website change was to get rid of the sequence numbers, but then they realized that they got rid of them for people who already had them assigned. They put them back for existing customers, but don't give them out to new customers. I guess this thread is over.

Hmm, maybe we are declaring it dead too quickly. I got this email last night from my WikiMap:
ZeeMaps <[email protected]>
10:11 PM (19 hours ago)

Please approve or reject the following entry for your map: Tesla Model S & X Reservations

at: http://www.zeemaps.com/295135/19493

Here's a brief summary of the entry:

Name: 19493
Address: 40 Helm's Mill Road

City: Hackettstown, New Jersey 07840