Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes more regen is great. Go BMW. The Active-E is a VERY good looking car(I like the looks better than the Model S), that is the perfect size, BUT the range and performance are huge dealbreakers. Not to mention it's an ICE platform that is not available for sale. The Bmw I-vehicles are very ugly, IMO.

Hi, I'd like to reconfirm how regen and one pedal driving would feel like.

In the Roadster, the input cap is what...85kW? What that means is that at speeds above ~40mph, the regen gets 'weaker and weaker'. At about 70mph, it's about the same as the engine breaking on the 911 I had. Under 30mph(?), the car starts reducing the power it's pulling, the curve seems fairly natural, but this is where those of us who want stronger regen would really like a steeper curve (plus, I think we'd all like more on the max input - but that is likely battery limited and can't be changed). While I very, very rarely 'goof up' anymore and need to use the friction brakes above 5mph, it still occasionally happens.

The way the regen kicks in once past the zero point of the go pedal is just as extremely smooth and natural as on the other side - smoother than any engine braking ever was. It's awesome for freeway traffic. And city streets. And you quickly get into asymmetric hypermiling - slowing down purely by regen, speeding up by stomping.

So, the brake lights do not come up on the Roadster when it's just the regen kicking in, right? I'm sure this has been asked before but, have you had any instances of cars behind you (tailgating or otherwise) not realizing that you are slowing down, probably fairly quickly on city streets? And, coming close to rear-ending you as a result? I've had that happen in my ICE even with the brake lights lighting up so, I'd be surprised if the regen-induced slowdown does not actually throw off cars behind (whose drivers might actually be too busy admiring the Roadster to realize that it might be slowing down quickly right in front of them)?!

Oh, good to know! Then, I'm all in for aggressive regen in the Model S (am sure my wife will hate the 'difference' from conventional driving though).

If she cannot adjust to how a golf cart "works different" then yes, but in reality it's a 2 to 5 minute "oh, that's how it works (inside voice)" adjustment.

Another call for the third middle brake tailight to glow amber on regen braking. Just enough to signal a slowdown but not enough to make all the consecutive freeway drivers behind you to brake and slow down all traffic flow.

Wrong. The Roadster's brake lights come on when your regen deceleration hits a certain level. They also come on immediately if you lift off quickly.
Depends on where you are. In europe the regen is limited to 40kW and the break lights do not come on, that is forbidden by law. Breaklights may only come on if the driver hits the break.

Another call for the third middle brake tailight to glow amber on regen braking. Just enough to signal a slowdown but not enough to make all the consecutive freeway drivers behind you to brake and slow down all traffic flow.
I don't think I'm in favor of that idea. In a conventional ICE we are quite used to seeing a brake light come on when the brake pedal is pushed, independently of how hard it's being pressed. No need to further differentiate with an EV and possibly confuse the issue. Brake light means pay attention and be ready.

Disagree. I think amber should be reserved only for turn signals.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind brake lights that light up brighter when you are braking harder. So a light regen could have a low red glow, that gets brighter as you engage more friction brakes too.

+1 to TEG's idea; amber only for turn, differing brightness on the brake lights - of course, ideally, I think slush box cars should have some sort of G sensor so they could do the same thing. I'm tired of the people in front of me in the diamond lane getting on their brakes because the people in the lane next to them or tapping on their brakes because their slush boxes don't drive right.

I don't think I'm in favor of that idea. In a conventional ICE we are quite used to seeing a brake light come on when the brake pedal is pushed, independently of how hard it's being pressed. No need to further differentiate with an EV and possibly confuse the issue. Brake light means pay attention and be ready.
I was following a bus on the freeway the other day and it had a set of amber lights that lit as it was slowing and then the reds came on when he actually hit the brakes. I couldn't figure out if the ambers were when he hit the "jake brakes" (compression brakes) or just when slowing or standard engine braking (I don't recall hearing the noise of compression brakes). But there are vehicles that have amber lights for slowing and red lights for braking. I thought about trying to get some video but traffic was pretty heavy. If I see it again I'll try.

I'm not sure where I come down on the whole thing but I agree we need something for slowing vs braking. Amber CHMSL when slowing and then all reds when braking? Idk.

Last edited:
Flashing / strobing can be irritating, and even cause epileptic response at some frequencies for some people.
I thought of flashing, but decided not to suggest it based on that, and the fact that many cars already have flashing reds for turn signals. I wouldn't want to do anything more to confuse braking with turn signals. (In other words, I don't like amber brake lights, or flashing brake lights.) I still think brighter for heavier braking makes more sense. An alternative would be an array of brake lights where more elements start to come on as you brake harder.

Of course today's technology would allow a dull light for just a little slowing and a brighter light for more extreme braking. Also light braking could be amber and slowly transition to red as braking increases. Even both at once.

I was following a bus on the freeway the other day and it had a set of amber lights that lit as it was slowing and then the reds came on when he actually hit the brakes. I couldn't figure out if the ambers were when he hit the "jake brakes" (compression brakes) or just when slowing or standard engine braking (I don't recall hearing the noise of compression brakes). But there are vehicles that have amber lights for slowing and red lights for braking. I thought about trying to get some video but traffic was pretty heavy. If I see it again I'll try.

No, I don't think those amber lights came on "automatically" when the bus was slowing down. The driver must have hit the hazards button to get them going - as a rider, I've seen bus drivers do that when approaching a bus stop or a railroad crossing and such.

No, I don't think those amber lights came on "automatically" when the bus was slowing down. The driver must have hit the hazards button to get them going - as a rider, I've seen bus drivers do that when approaching a bus stop or a railroad crossing and such.
No they weren't flashing. The ambers would come on solid, bus would slow down. Then reds would come on solid in addition, bus would slow down more. Then lights would go out when bus accelerated. But the weird thing is it wasn't obvious what the trigger was. Sometimes when the bus had stopped (stop and go rush hour) and would begin to accelerate, they amber and red wouldn't go off at the same time. Idk. Like I said, I hope to catch him again and will try and get some video.

Last edited:
I seem to recall our local buses having a small amber light on the back that lit when a rider pulled the bus stop request cord. I haven't really looked in a long time so I couldn't even say if they're still using them (I almost never encounter buses on my commute).