Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on the charge/discharge symmetry of the cells. I don't know about the LiCo or the new LiNiCoAl cells but most of the LiFePO4 cells have higher discharge rates than charge rates.
Yeah, I was just adding a bound on the max regen.

So the max "max regen" is 60 to 0 mpg in 5.6 sec (-0.49 g) based on the drivetrain.
And the min "max regen" is 60 to 0 in 7.3 sec (-0.37 g) based on 90kW charging rate.

WOW, sounds like BMW gets it. The Ultimate Regen machine.
Feedback from the MINI E field trial clearly indicated our driver’s preference for aggressive regenerative braking coupled with the ability for “one pedal driving.” This provides immediate feedback that they are driving something special, and is a unique feature of eMobility. The BMW strategy, as demonstrated in the upcoming ActiveE (all electric 1-Series coupe), is to maintain this aggressive regenerative brake feel as a unique eMobility selling point.

How do you strike the balance between maximizing regenerative energy, and providing a braking "feel" that mainstream drivers are accustomed to?
For pure electric drive, emphasis will be placed on the regenerative aspects of the braking system. Ho
wever, for increased driver acceptance, a “sailing mode” has been implemented, allowing the driver to coast at highway speeds – similar to a gasoline vehicle.

Will you provide the ability for drivers to control how much regen is happening via buttons/modes? Why or why not? Other driver-selected controls?
Yes. The ActiveE will be equipped with an “Eco Pro” mode. Once selected, this mode will slightly reduce HVAC and throttle response, and provide additional regenerative braking response. This mode allows the user to place a higher priority on range, extending the driving distance of the car by slightly reducing the creature comforts.

What's your strategy for balancing the benefits of coasting (periods when no regen occurs) versus strong regen (for example, when traveling downhill)?
Allow customer to choose. Due to the one pedal driving, the user can select whether the car is sailing or generating power.

Please please, Tesla please make the S a driver's car. Make it all that it can be.

Last edited:
Wow! Looks like BMW is definitely going to nail the entry/mid-level luxury EV market and give Tesla a headache in a couple of years! Blasphemy on this forum maybe, but, I for one would take a BMW 3 or 1 EV over a Model S had it not been for the timelines!
I don't think it's blasphemy. If Tesla succeeds in creating a market, they're certainly not going to be left alone in it.

The only draw back on the BMW right now is RANGE !!! They are going with a smaller range for some reason. I own a BMW now and would take this car in a heartbeat IF it had the range I need. They are going for a city car and that will not do for me :( I think the range is 100 miles or so.

The only draw back on the BMW right now is RANGE !!! They are going with a smaller range for some reason. I own a BMW now and would take this car in a heartbeat IF it had the range I need. They are going for a city car and that will not do for me :( I think the range is 100 miles or so.

True. I guess a Leaf-like range with the performance of a BMW?! I can live with that range for a short period (have an ICE backup). I've requested to be notified when the BMW ActiveE registration (for just 700 "electronauts") opens shortly (the Bay Area is included in this program); if I'm selected, I think I might just end up doing the close-end 2-year lease on the ActiveE and take a one-time deferral on the Model S reservation!

Wow! Looks like BMW is definitely going to nail the entry/mid-level luxury EV market and give Tesla a headache in a couple of years! Blasphemy on this forum maybe, but, I for one would take a BMW 3 or 1 EV over a Model S had it not been for the timelines!

It's always been a race to get electric cars done right, and once multiple companies succeed it will be a crowded market. If Tesla weren't first, they'd be dead already. Actually, Elon indicated that if the EV-1 and electric RAV4 hadn't been scrapped, he never would have financed or co-founded Tesla. He's also indicated that Tesla's goal is to accelerate the conversion of the world to electric cars... as opposed to simply trying to make money. :) So he's clearly going to be pleased if other car companies create solid competition.

On the other hand, BMW may screw up any one of the other things Tesla got right. It's taken everyone except Tesla a long time to figure out that the battery goes under the car, that the motors go right near the wheels, that the battery needs thermal management, that customers want more range than they actually use, etc. Purchasing Tesla stock is, in a way, a gamble on other car companies continuing to get things *wrong* long enough for Tesla to make a reputation and carve out a market.

In fact, BMW's repeated "test market" small runs, lease-only things are an example of missing the fact that there *is* a race in the electric car market, a race to satisfy suppressed demand. BMW simply isn't in contention until it makes a car available to the general public. So far Nissan is *the* competition to Tesla. Toyota will probably be the second competition, thanks to using Tesla's powertrain.

On the technical matter, I still agree with everyone else, max regen, all on the "go" pedal, one pedal driving... :) If I really really want to maintain a steady speed I'll use cruise control. (I assume the model S will have cruise control. I don't care whether it's "adaptive".)

Hi, I'd like to reconfirm how regen and one pedal driving would feel like. I'm assuming that if you slowly let off the accelerator that the car will add more and more regen and slow the car more and more. And if you are going 70 and quickly lift your foot off the accelerator it would feel like shifting from 5th to 2nd?

Can I think of the accelerator pedal's range of motion and speed of pressing and lifting off as dialing in different levels of acceleration and regen?
Max acceleration when fully and rapidly flooring it, and gentle acceleration when slightly and slowly depressed;
Then slight regen when slightly and slowly lifting off, and max regen when quickly and fully taking the foot off the pedal?

Then the "user adjustable" portion only changes how strong is that point of "max regen", with the foot fully off the pedal?

Thanks

Since no one else answered yet: Yeah, basically...

Adjustable regen might offer a modified scale, so "light lift off" would produce more initial regen and be stronger through the range... Not just to provide a higher max setting, but generally more aggressive regen as soon as you get away from accelerating.
When I drove the eBox it had a slider and the most aggressive setting really felt like someone had stepped on the brakes, not just "simulated engine braking."

I think for heavy regen to be most useful, they need to avoid situations where it can turn itself off. Traction control can sometimes turn it off...
Having completely full batteries or very cold batteries can too. I think they should be able to design better systems that keep the regen at play all the time, not just turning it off when "something unusual happens."

Other than always keeping the pack undercharged, or being able to switch in some resistance to bleed of current, I'm not sure what could be done. Of course higher C rate cells could be used, but that substantially increases pack costs and reduces specific energy density. Or a capacitor bank, but that has the same problems.

Hi, I'd like to reconfirm how regen and one pedal driving would feel like. I'm assuming that if you slowly let off the accelerator that the car will add more and more regen and slow the car more and more. And if you are going 70 and quickly lift your foot off the accelerator it would feel like shifting from 5th to 2nd?

This is why I cannot fathom the pundits who complain about "neck-snapping regen". You can ease off the pedal. It's not rocket science.

They're used to taking their foot off the gas fast, and then slowly pressing on the brake. It doesn't take much time at all to get used to using the regen as braking.

The only downside to the constant regen braking is that it wears down the rear tires so much faster. The rear tires already wear a lot from the acceleration, (but then the fronts wear more from braking because the fronts normally provide more braking than the rears), and with two-wheel regen, the rears are doing double-duty.

So you either need to plan on replacing just the rear tires much sooner than you normally would and the front tires would last longer than normal, or you would need to rotate the fronts with the rears more frequently.

They're used to taking their foot off the gas fast, and then slowly pressing on the brake. It doesn't take much time at all to get used to using the regen as braking.

The only downside to the constant regen braking is that it wears down the rear tires so much faster. The rear tires already wear a lot from the acceleration, (but then the fronts wear more from braking because the fronts normally provide more braking than the rears), and with two-wheel regen, the rears are doing double-duty.

So you either need to plan on replacing just the rear tires much sooner than you normally would and the front tires would last longer than normal, or you would need to rotate the fronts with the rears more frequently.

...assuming they are the same size. Pretty hard to rotate the tires on the Roadster. It's true that the fronts last 3X the rears on the Roadster, but I suspect that is more due to the acceleration than deceleration.

My SLK has CC on a stalk and I find it easier to use than the buttons. It's a lot easier to wack the stalk one direction of the other than it is to find the buttons; even when you're used to where they are.

With the stalk, you wack it either up or down to engage the CC. Once it's engaged, you wack it up to increase speed one mile/hour at a time (or hold it up for faster increase) or wack it down to reduce speed. Push it forward to turn off CC and pull it back toward you to resume. There aren't any buttons on the stalk.

That said, I would LOVE to have adaptive cruise control!!!