Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about the track pack makes you like the car more? How has the daily driving experience changed?
I can answer that. Way better brake feeling. A car which actually brakes. I always found the standard brakes lackluster. Little feeling and no confidence when braking hard from high speed. Especially when they get up to temperature, they are insane compared to the standard brakes. Of course, for 95 percent of the driving it won't matter at all. But same for the 1020 hp.

I can answer that. Way better brake feeling. A car which actually brakes. I always found the standard brakes lackluster. Little feeling and no confidence when braking hard from high speed. Especially when they get up to temperature, they are insane compared to the standard brakes.
I wonder if anyone here had the MPP brakes and then went to the track pack. How much of a difference is that.

I wonder if anyone here had the MPP brakes and then went to the track pack. How much of a difference is that.
I went from a Brembo BBK GTS kit for front (405mm steel rotors and 6 piston calipers) and mpp rotors and pads in back to the track pack. The BBK was good, the track pack is like hitting a wall when you brake, unreal. To me, worth every penny.

Also, I have a 2021 that requires the new knuckles. I picked up the knuckles from the SC, took them to another shop that pressed in spearcial bearings from Unplugged for the rear knuckles, then took those back to the SC and they installed the knuckles with the UP bearings when they installed the track pack.

Surprising how much better people are saying track pack makes the brakes feel, yet others say it doesn't improve braking performance other than preventing fade with repeat stops.

To clarify, by track pack do you mean brakes and tires package ($20k) or just the brakes?

Surprising how much better people are saying track pack makes the brakes feel, yet others say it doesn't improve braking performance other than preventing fade with repeat stops.

To clarify, by track pack do you mean brakes and tires package ($20k) or just the brakes?
I don’t doubt brake feel is better. Actual braking performance won’t be improved except for, as you stated, preventing fade with repeated stops. That’s important depending on how insanely one drives on the streets, but for most normal driving, even with triple digit pulls, is not important.

Reactions: bhzmark and terranx

There is essentially zero correlation between brake feel and brake performance.

Reactions: Kohley and WilliamG
What about the track pack makes you like the car more? How has the daily driving experience changed?
On track mode, damping calibration it's better, got the 200MPH on any mode and no more brake fade.
Daily, To tell you the truth. Nothing, just better-looking brakes.
Braking power for regular driving, feels the same.
The damping recalibration is just on track mode, so suspension wise is the same on daily driving.
I wonder what's the issue with the stock braking system.?
I just bought an Ioniq 5N for daily driving and it the same weight and similar brakes to a stock Plaid, however I see a lot of positive reviews on braking performance (I haven't got the opportunity to test it myself).

Last edited:
Just drive both and make a decision for yourself. I did. I'd rather sell my MSP than go back to the peasant steel brake life.
That would be nice. My next Plaid i'm wondering if I'll go with 19" for more range but that also eliminates CCB. Or the package with 20" CCB/wheels/tires. Or the 21" with CCB. I'm liking the stealth gray and new seats.

There is essentially zero correlation between brake feel and brake performance.
This is true. I also think but don't know for sure if the stock brakes work better when ice cold then the track pack brakes. With the track pack, will the ABS engage instantly at 100 mph when ice cold? The use case for me and most others I would think anyway, is driving around and using regenerative braking, then a blast to a 100, next to whatever other car, than jam on the brakes when ice cold. I can engage the ABS at 100 mph very quickly on stock brakes.

Are there any test cases stock versus track pack when brakes are cold?

Reactions: oktane and bhzmark
This is true. I also think but don't know for sure if the stock brakes work better when ice cold then the track pack brakes. With the track pack, will the ABS engage instantly at 100 mph when ice cold? The use case for me and most others I would think anyway, is driving around and using regenerative braking, then a blast to a 100, next to whatever other car, than jam on the brakes when ice cold. I can engage the ABS at 100 mph very quickly on stock brakes.

Are there any test cases stock versus track pack when brakes are cold?
For several people, just upgrading the pads to say GLOC’s R12 compound will give massive brake improvement.

I tried it with my god awful braking on my 2021 and the pads are so aggressive (in an excellent braking way) that I can see the rotors getting worn. I’m on the MpP rotors now for significantly improved fade resistance and those are also getting worn with the R12.

Reason I bring this up is because the iron in all the metal rotors is pretty much the same. It’s the pad making the difference between good and piss poor.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
For several people, just upgrading the pads to say GLOC’s R12 compound will give massive brake improvement.

I tried it with my god awful braking on my 2021 and the pads are so aggressive (in an excellent braking way) that I can see the rotors getting worn. I’m on the MpP rotors now for significantly improved fade resistance and those are also getting worn with the R12.

Reason I bring this up is because the iron in all the metal rotors is pretty much the same. It’s the pad making the difference between good and piss poor.
When and where is the improvement?

On the

How can it stop faster on the street with the same tires on cold brakes? Once the brakes are hot, 4 or more high speed stops, I can see the car stopping faster versus over heated stock brakes.
For the gloc pad I was referencing?

That has a very aggressive bite from ambient all the way to 1800F . If the brake fluid ain’t boiling, these pads have no fade.

But truth be told, I cheated a bit :) I’m using dual shims in the calipers - pad shims as well as caliper piston shims. I got the shims from NRF brakes. They sell them in the size you need for the plaid brake pad. It literally thermally isolates the brake fluid from the rotor and pad heat! Of course, running Castrol SRF brake fluid is tremendously helpful by itself too.

I’d say that now my pirelli summer tires will get greasy with the track heat before my brakes slow down (pun unintended :) )

Last edited:
  • Funny