Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching Taycan Turbo prices for 6 months or so in Switzerland. Indeed, easily a 50% initial hit, but from that point on, asking prices have only gone down by maybe 10% in the past 6 months which is when the refresh model was released. Time will tell, and it seems that used buyers become scarce once the car passes 60'000 Km roughly 40'000 miles...
The Plaid's seem to lose 20% in the first year - from a similar price point to the used Taycan Turbo's.

Reactions: empiredown
I wanted the 19s but the inventory model they offered came with 21s
A month later I’ve got a few dings on the wheels and I deal with 0 curbs.

Can’t wait to swap them out for 19s or 20s

Well……as anticipated, Tesla dropped my trade value $2,800 over the 30 day period. 😡 I knew they were playing games. Funny that I get a VIN on the same day the previous trade est expired.
I wonder if you have any recourse to hold them to the previous value?

As in, anything other walking away, or threatening to do so?

The timing just seems so damn sketchy, and Tesla has a very long history of screwing people over on trade-ins, especially on trading in a Tesla for a Tesla. (As I can personally attest from several Tesla trade-ins, but I'm in a "sales tax credit" state where the taxes on the new car are reduced by the trade-in's value, but ONLY if your previous car is traded in as part of that specific transaction--grrrrrr).

If it wasn't for the double-taxation issue, I'd likely never trade-in with Tesla. Very frustrating.

Reactions: Propofoln
I think good info for those on this board would be advice on when to get a trade value and when to order. I too was screwed in the past by a major drop in trade value from Tesla, on a Tesla. Anyone have a good strategy?
Best advise. Don’t expect premium trade offers for a used car from a company that doesn’t have used car lots. They don’t Want your car, they are offering a service and tax saving option.

Well……as anticipated, Tesla dropped my trade value $2,800 over the 30 day period. 😡 I knew they were playing games. Funny that I get a VIN on the same day the previous trade est expired.
I had the same thing happen to me. Got the VIN right at the end of the 30-day wait, and they lowballed me by $1200 after reassessing. Seems like it's just their way of doing business, unfortunately.

Reactions: Spdrcrj
From what a service advisor once told me, the trade in amount was not set by them but rather what the auction was paying them.
Tesla didn’t keep the used non Tesla vehicles, they sent them straight to the auction.
Maybe the reason for the trade in adjustment is coming from the auction companies rather than Tesla.

How true that claim is? I’ve got no clue. But it made sense and was later sort of confirmed when I saw my old leased model s get driven straight to Mannheim after I returned it. It stayed on the lot for a few days and then it was removed from my account.

Auto market is not doing all that great right now, it would make sense that trade in prices are going down.

I think good info for those on this board would be advice on when to get a trade value and when to order. I too was screwed in the past by a major drop in trade value from Tesla, on a Tesla. Anyone have a good strategy?

I just ordered an MSLR and am coming from an M3P. Because of the 30-day trade window and 30-60-day finance window, I do not plan to complete those tasks until I get a VIN assigned.

I live in Texas, and the vehicle must be transported here, which took two full weeks the last time.

Why is there a rush to complete all the tasks when a car rarely arrives within 30 days of ordering? It seems more prudent to wait until delivery is closer, so you don't need to do these things two or three times.

From what a service advisor once told me, the trade in amount was not set by them but rather what the auction was paying them.
Tesla didn’t keep the used non Tesla vehicles, they sent them straight to the auction.
Maybe the reason for the trade in adjustment is coming from the auction companies rather than Tesla.

How true that claim is? I’ve got no clue. But it made sense and was later sort of confirmed when I saw my old leased model s get driven straight to Mannheim after I returned it. It stayed on the lot for a few days and then it was removed from my account.

Auto market is not doing all that great right now, it would make sense that trade in prices are going down.

This is also true, and it's the same way traditional dealerships operate. They offer auction value, which is nearly always lower than someone in the business of reselling cars for a profit.

The best option is a private 3rd party for retail pricing if maximizing value is essential.

Direct trade is the most convenient, but you get paid the least. Then there are the middle guys (Caravana, etc.), which aren't too hard but not as easy as direct trade. Private sale maximizes value but can be a real PITA.

I'm planning to direct trade and understand I will likely pay for the convenience.