Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for VIN implying a build date, probably that depends where you live. In Canada, ours was VINned May 20 but build didn't start until 43 days later. (Clearly the wait to transport cars out of the USA may be long. Dennis's VIN is about 120 after ours, but his possession will be a good two weeks earlier. pvandamcom's is about 70 after ours, and his build started the day after. Makes sense, although who knows when cars may arrive in the Netherlands.)

Last edited:
My contact at the Service Center called to say my car was still in production and my delivery is pushed back a week. It has been in production for 2 weeks. Evidently there are quite a few others in the same situation. It certainly didn't help that they moved up quite a few cars with later deliveries into the 2nd quarter and pushed mine back.

It was also delayed due to retooling of the production lines for the model X.

Oh well.

As for VIN implying a build date, probably that depends where you live. In Canada, ours was VINned May 20 but build didn't start until 43 days later. (Clearly the wait to transport cars out of the USA may be long. Dennis's VIN is about 120 after ours, but his possession will be a good two weeks earlier. pvandamcom's is about 70 after ours, and his build started the day after. Makes sense, although who knows when cars may arrive in the Netherlands.)

Production took a week for me, finished last Friday (if the website is an accurate reflection of reality...). Delivery after this stage to Netherlands is typically 6 weeks. Status still says "Late August", I guess I'm now waiting for that status to turn into an actual date, somewhere around August 25th seems realistic, but I'm hoping to shave a few days off :)

My contact at the Service Center called to say my car was still in production and my delivery is pushed back a week. It has been in production for 2 weeks. Evidently there are quite a few others in the same situation. It certainly didn't help that they moved up quite a few cars with later deliveries into the 2nd quarter and pushed mine back.

It was also delayed due to retooling of the production lines for the model X.

Oh well.

Interesting how your ordering dates and VIN number are very close to mine, your production started a day earlier, but my production did finish, at least according to the site, on July 11th.
Must be just about car specs, certain part delivery issues or something.

If we are doing finger-math (numbers based on our finger count) - I would like to have vin # 55,555.These milestones are nice but the best one would be Vin #1 of the first model year of the car. After that, the numbers are just numbers.

Order confirmed May 24, dashboard updated with my VIN today (7/20). Delivery estimate says late August (which is what it's said ever since I confirmed the order), but my DS called me about 2-3 weeks ago and said it would be the first week of September.

VIN: 50011