Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered Plaid back in October 2020. After seeing the "late 2021" I cancelled my order for the then-changed "Plaid +" and ordered a "Plaid." My order agreement says the date I ordered it which was 10 days ago and my time frame says "3-8 weeks from order placed date." For those with 2020 Plaid + orders, you have to wonder if you guys got shunted to the back of the line. LOL.

Back of what line? When the Plaid (now Plaid+) was first announced, Elon clearly stated late 2021 during the Battery Day presentation - even the order site said that, maybe you missed it. I’m not expecting it till 2022 given Elon time, but I don’t understand your comment about being “shunted to the back of the line”, since the Plaid+ was always advertised as late-2021 delivery, unlike the other two slated for early-2021.

Just out of curiosity I went to the “search existing inventory” page and inserted the zip code for Fremont, CA. Figuring this may be first place to get inventory vehicles and looking to see if anything eventually shows up.
Did this a few times over a few days. The first time the only color choices for an s were black and white. Later blue showed up.
That platform has not been updated to include choices for plaid or plaid plus.
Just out of curiosity, any thoughts? Or is it just nothing?

Can we all agree nobody is getting the refresh in March? Has anybody got VIN #, delivery date?

For Model X, yes.

For Model S, there could still be some output in March.

I called Tesla yesterday, and was read whatever script they had. The scripts seemed to always include "Yes, that's a great question. We have had several other customers ask the exact same thing."

When will customers start to get VIN numbers: "Soon"

Will there be an option to choose Wheel vs Yoke : "No. We do not show any option available to choose a wheel. Everyone will get the yoke."

I am surprised the stock analysts such as Rob Maurer at Tesla Daily seem to be uninformed about the magnitude of this delay. Model S and X are Tesla's highest margin cars.

Losing a WHOLE QUARTER of your highest margin car has got to sting.

Can we all agree nobody is getting the refresh in March? Has anybody got VIN #, delivery date?
I placed my order for the Plaid on January 27th and my estimated delivery date is just "March." Tesla hasn't contacted me recently. I don't know what time the announcement was made and at what time you could order the car but I'm pretty sure I completed my order less than 24 hours after the announcement. It was at about 3:00 AM PST. I was so excited I didn't want to wait until the sun came up! I wonder how many folks beat me to the punch?

For Model X, yes.

For Model S, there could still be some output in March.

I called Tesla yesterday, and was read whatever script they had. The scripts seemed to always include "Yes, that's a great question. We have had several other customers ask the exact same thing."

When will customers start to get VIN numbers: "Soon"

Will there be an option to choose Wheel vs Yoke : "No. We do not show any option available to choose a wheel. Everyone will get the yoke."

I am surprised the stock analysts such as Rob Maurer at Tesla Daily seem to be uninformed about the magnitude of this delay. Model S and X are Tesla's highest margin cars.

Losing a WHOLE QUARTER of your highest margin car has got to sting.

Yet people on here are POSITIVE the yoke would be an option. My SA says the same things as above on my S order. He does think it’ll deliver before end of March, but I’m thinking either last days of March or not at all.

Either way, the public outside us waiting on orders is unaware - the stock discussion boards are still acting like the S is for sale and delivering.

I’ll be honest this whole process has really dampened my enthusiasm for Tesla and made me wonder if I’m making the right decision. It feels like they don’t want to announce anything because A) they couldn’t stick to a positive promise and B) acknowledging a delay would send the stock down another 25% from its highs.

I’ve been playing their little game for 2+ months now, others have for 3-4 or more. I just want my damn car, and it’d be great to know what kind of steering wheel it has.

And yes, the unadjustable seatbelts are super annoying. My brother uses a $5 clip he bought from Amazon on his $90k car. Looks like I’ll be using the same “solution”.

Yet people on here are POSITIVE the yoke would be an option. My SA says the same things as above on my S order. He does think it’ll deliver before end of March, but I’m thinking either last days of March or not at all.

Either way, the public outside us waiting on orders is unaware - the stock discussion boards are still acting like the S is for sale and delivering.

I’ll be honest this whole process has really dampened my enthusiasm for Tesla and made me wonder if I’m making the right decision. It feels like they don’t want to announce anything because A) they couldn’t stick to a positive promise and B) acknowledging a delay would send the stock down another 25% from its highs.

I’ve been playing their little game for 2+ months now, others have for 3-4 or more. I just want my damn car, and it’d be great to know what kind of steering wheel it has.

And yes, the unadjustable seatbelts are super annoying. My brother uses a $5 clip he bought from Amazon on his $90k car. Looks like I’ll be using the same “solution”.

Agreeing with your sentiment. Dying to get the vehicle. Had someone working in my garage the other day and commented on the wall charge that has been installed but the electricians left the foam packing on it. Told him I am waiting for the vehicle with no real date to count on.

While dampening, it has not changed my mind overall (yet) and I know once I get it, all this wait will be forgotten and I will smile every time I drive.

It is disturbing, and concerning, that Elon did not release more details like he said he would, two weeks or more ago.

Unlike service, I don't think the best communication is no communication.

I can only assume there are major problems with the refresh, perhaps even bigger than M3 production hell.

I can wait a year or more until things get straightened out.

It is disturbing, and concerning, that Elon did not release more details like he said he would, two weeks or more ago.

Unlike service, I don't think the best communication is no communication.

I can only assume there are major problems with the refresh, perhaps even bigger than M3 production hell.

I can wait a year or more until things get straightened out.
No chance it's worse than M3 production hell. S/X production changes always end up messy but nothing like M3 in regards to timeline and cost.

Reactions: phantasms
Personally, what pisses me off the most is all of these supposed radical new features like the car predicting what gear you want to be in and literally nothing else from Elon except launch day. Not to mention we don't even know: battery size, air suspension, camera/AP hardware changes (if any), what's going on with the yoke, etc.

I'm going to give it another week, then start considering alternatives. This is a decent amount of cash to be sitting on.

I’ll be honest this whole process has really dampened my enthusiasm for Tesla and made me wonder if I’m making the right decision.

It'll likely be the best car you have ever owned, but the company will, on occasion, make you want to pull your hair out.

I think you will see the comms when another milestone has been crossed, like once the production line is up and running or they are about to start deliveries. Before them, it doesn't make sense to do something, especially if, as I appears, folks are willing to buy the car sight unseen.

Personally, what pisses me off the most is all of these supposed radical new features like the car predicting what gear you want to be in and literally nothing else from Elon except launch day. Not to mention we don't even know: battery size, air suspension, camera/AP hardware changes (if any), what's going on with the yoke, etc.

I'm going to give it another week, then start considering alternatives. This is a decent amount of cash to be sitting on.
Don't worry, it has air suspension based on their photos on the Model S detail page on Tesla.com. I see where you are coming from, there a LOT of options for a 100K EV besides Tesla.

Don't worry, it has air suspension based on their photos on the Model S detail page on Tesla.com. I see where you are coming from, there a LOT of options for a 100K EV besides Tesla.

Air suspension is mentioned on non-US order pages (e.g. UK):

D38971EF-8A7D-4617-B7FE-4AA47D56BF87.jpeg

And that’s the thing. The alternatives are doing nothing but increasing. Right now I’m trying to be patient because the eTron and Taycan and Mach-E just don’t quite cut it. But that won’t be the case in a year. Now’s the time for Tesla to be strategic, not overconfident.

The total lack of communication in my mind has really crossed the line from quirk to hubris. They still have some time to correct the path, but this is exactly how leaders stop being leaders.

A simple update like “Delayed about a month, refining production for quality. Yoke will be an option. Gear selectable by touch panel” would be game changing, but no, they’re playing the Apple-level secrecy game. Problem is this isn’t a $1000 iPad and competitors aren’t sitting still.

Very annoying.

I don’t believe there will be an option on steering wheel. My order says yoke steering wheel. Has anyone that ordered the S seen anything other than yoke on their order. So I would be surprised if they changed that, but I am taking delivery as soon as available regardless of steering wheel. I am sure that if it comes with yoke, it will work great. If not I am fine with normal steering wheel.

but I agree with you that Tesla’s ( this will be my first one) communication is very frustrating. Never dealt with anything like this on any other expensive car that I have purchased. I also bought wall charger and had it installed expecting delivery by end of March as I preordered in December.

Even if they gave me an April date I would be satisfied. This guessing game seems is very unprofessional and frustrating to me. My last 5 cars have been MB. Mercedes. Service, fit and finish are superb on them. But I have my mind set on an EV.