Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my SA called first thing this morning. Plaid being shipped by train. Set to arrive by train on 24th. She said trains are almost always on schedule! The issue is whether there are enough transporters available. So could be ready for pickup on 26th as told. Then I just looked and scheduled changed 23 to 29. I think it was 24 to 29 before. Told an email with a specific day and time slot would be coming within next 2 days.
Anyone have any idea where the North eastern train depot is? Refrshing to hear real info from an SA!
Thanks. How does it compare to CarPlay in terms of functionality, not concerned about maps as much as being able to stream my fav music apps such as Spotify, Apple Music, pandora.
Come on dude, that info is all over the place, try to stay a little on topic.

Reactions: gsxdsm
Welp, I started the process of cancelling my LR white S yesterday by ordering an M3P (says July 6 to 26 delivery). I had my doubts about the yoke and after seeing videos of people driving the car they have been confirmed. It's not for me. I'll contact Tesla tomorrow to formally cancel the S. For those of you that like or anticipate liking the yoke, cool! It'll probably work fine. But if Tesla decides to offer a round wheel option, I'm back in line.
Hang in there. There will be round wheel option, right after a couple of accidents. Or at least some aftermarket solutions. I am not crazy about the yoke but I am going to take delivery, try it, and if not happy, figure out a way to deal with it.

So my SA called first thing this morning. Plaid being shipped by train. Set to arrive by train on 24th. She said trains are almost always on schedule! The issue is whether there are enough transporters available. So could be ready for pickup on 26th as told. Then I just looked and scheduled changed 23 to 29. I think it was 24 to 29 before. Told an email with a specific day and time slot would be coming within next 2 days.
Carbon fiber?

Can new owners chime in on autopilot functionality with the yoke vs. previous Teslas?

As an ‘18 M3 driver, I think autopilot/FSD is good overall, but having to touch the steering wheel on the freeway in a specific way a few times/minute is definitely the biggest downside. Has this been improved at all?

Hang in there. There will be round wheel option, right after a couple of accidents. It at leas some aftermarket solutions. I am not crazy about the yoke but I am going to take delivery, try it and if not happy, figure out a way to deal with it.
My thoughts for myself as well. My account is still blank so still hoping for July but it very well could be August for me. Hopefully they don’t drop the price in the fall. Can’t see myself selling it after a few months but I really need to see if I can adapt to the yoke or not; been 36 years of 10-2 driving and forearm on the top of the wheel and a knee for straightaways for a short period of time now and then. I still hope Tesla realizes their big error here and offers a switch to a round steering wheel at some point but I doubt it; they’re just so crazy and set in their oddball ways.

Actually, the numbers appear correct. Up to about 40 feet the acceleration is a function of the tires only and happens at about 1.21 seconds and 38.9 mph. Past that point the PLAID slowly pulls away. The extra HP really start to make a difference at higher speeds.
I’d be super impressed with the LR.. For now, I’m sticking with LR 1/4 mile mid 10s at 125.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Tigers
Thanks. How does it compare to CarPlay in terms of functionality, not concerned about maps as much as being able to stream my fav music apps such as Spotify, Apple Music, pandora.
Spotify and TuneIn are built-in apps in the Tesla UI. For all other apps, you control them from your phone and stream the music to the car via Bluetooth. If your phone is sitting in the charging pad, you can say "Siri, play <song title | artist name | ...> on Apple Music"

Reactions: RMG007 and Ramphex
The majority of Tesla owners believe CarPlay would be a step up. If your main concern is streaming Spotify then Tesla has you covered. Spotify is now integrated into the software and your phone isn’t necessary. You just sign right into your account and can access all of your playlists etc.

Edit:
Looks like @Fabio already answered this!

Reactions: Ramphex
I just got done modeling the acceleration data for the MS PLAID and LR. I made the follwoing assumptions (please correct any errors):

PLAID
1020 HP
top speed of 200 mph
curb weight of 4766 pounds
driver & equipment weight of 250 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's
LR
670 HP
top speed of 155 mph (limited)
curb weight of 4561 pounds
tire grip of 1.235 g's

Using the PLAID numbers and assuming that 1020 HP is needed to overcome the drag at 200 MPH (gives drag) and that the car's acceleration is limited to the tires 1.235 g's, I get the following times and speeds which are compared to the Jay Leno drag strip results (as best as I can make them out with Jay's signature partially covering some of the numbers). All values assume 1 foot of rollout --> 0.224 seconds --> 6.08 mph.

JAY PLAID LR
LENO CALC CALC
60' 1.488 sec 1.527 sec 1.528 sec
330' 3.973 sec 3.946 sec 4.134 sec
1/8 mile 6.009 sec 5.954 sec 6.386 sec
1/8 mile 121.62 mph 123.80 mph 109.85 mph
1000' 7.766 sec 7.708 sec 8.368 sec
1/4 mile 9.247 sec 9.210 sec 10.07 sec
1/4 mile 152.09 mph 150.43 mph 132.59 mph

Here are the TESLA and calculated 0-60 times W and W/O 0.224 sec rollout as well as the top speeds:

W rollout W/O rollout top speed
TESLA PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21 sec 200 mph
CALC PLAID 1.99 sec 2.21.sec 200 mph
TESLA LR 2.88 sec 3.1 sec 155 mph
CALC LR 2.12 sec 2.35 sec 174 mph

The PLAID calculated speeds are all within 2.2 mph and the times within 0.1 sec of Jay's.

TESLA's LR numbers seem to be WAY off. Is the LR actually MUCH better than advertised at low speeds? Lots to think about.

2021 MS LR White/Cream/19" (10 May 21 - RN1149..) "BLANK"
My guess is the LR will have some sort of software block to keep the Plaid much better. Maybe pay $10K to unlock.

Where is there even a thumbs down button? 😅

A lot of concerns about the horn, where do you guys live and what is it that you use your horn so much for? I’ve owned my current car since 08/13 and I think I can count on both hands how often I’ve used my horn since. Wouldn’t even be able to tell you what it sounds like in a line up of cars.
Places called cities?

I’d be super impressed with the LR.. For now, I’m sticking with LR 1/4 mile mid 10s at 125.
I wouldn't be surprised if your numbers don't turn out to be correct because I believe that TESLA is limiting the performance of the LR. I think that they could be: LR 1/4 mile in 10.1 s and 132 mph. I also think that it should be able to do 0-60 in 2.4 sec (no rollout)without somehow being limited.

I just got done modeling the acceleration data for the MS PLAID and LR. I made the follwoing assumptions (please correct any errors):

PLAID
1020 HP
top speed of 200 mph
tire grip of 1.235 g's
LR
670 HP
tire grip of 1.235 g's

Using the PLAID numbers and assuming that 1020 HP is needed to overcome the drag at 200 MPH (gives drag) and that the car's acceleration is limited to the tires 1.235 g's, I get the following times and speeds which are compared to the Jay Leno drag strip results (as best as I can make them out with Jay's signature partially covering some of the numbers). All values assume 1 foot of rollout --> 0.224 seconds --> 6.08 mph.

JAY PLAID LR
LENO CALC CALC

Here are the TESLA and calculated 0-60 times W and W/O 0.224 sec rollout as well as the top speeds:

The PLAID calculated speeds are all within 2.2 mph and the times within 0.1 sec of Jay's.

TESLA's LR numbers seem to be WAY off. Is the LR actually MUCH better than advertised at low speeds? Lots to think about.

The advertised trap speed of the PLAID is still listed as 155 MPH. I hope we see numbers close to that. The fact that the power really never drops off should certainly help it.

PLAID
1020 HP
top speed of 200 mph
tire grip of 1.235 g's
LR
670 HP
tire grip of 1.235 g's

JAY PLAID LR
LENO CALC CALC

Interesting math on the LR. I hope it is accurate when the LR comes out. I do believe it will be under the 3.1 but maybe Tesla will software control it so it does not perform "too well" and take away from the Plaid thunder. Still getting it into the mid 2's would be great but I am okay with 3.1secs -it is more than adequate. I bought it for the touring aspect and not the track aspect.

I wouldn't be surprised if your numbers don't turn out to be correct because I believe that TESLA is limiting the performance of the LR. I think that they could be: LR 1/4 mile in 10.1 s and 132 mph. I also think that it should be able to do 0-60 in 2.4 sec (no rollout)without somehow being limited.
You might be right. My reply was just guesswork. We’ll find out soon enough 👌

The majority of Tesla owners believe CarPlay would be a step up. If your main concern is streaming Spotify then Tesla has you covered. Spotify is now integrated into the software and your phone isn’t necessary. You just sign right into your account and can access all of your playlists etc.

Edit:
Looks like @Fabio already answered this!
Having Car Play / Android Auto as an app in the Tesla UI would be a nice add-on (if only for all the apps it would bring in), but the Tesla UI has evolved so much more than CarPlay.

I dont have any of those apps so cant give detailed answer. But based on what ive read Spotify is ok but not great. Apple music isn't integrated although i think some people found some code indicating it may come in the future. In general Tesla in car infotainment needs work.

• Funny
Reactions: tibook and lbowroom
Since the original orders of Plaid all had carbon fiber interiors, it looks like new orders with wood are being given priority based on supply chain issues. Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? Tesla should at least contact the original Plaid reservation holders and give them the chance to change to wood. How hard would it be to modify the order page for original Plaid orders to allow changes on the interior?

Let people know they could get their car faster if they were willing to modify interior color and/or trim. Why give preferential treatment to people that ordered two weeks ago? I always knew this idea of a FIFO line didn’t exist, but this is ridiculous!