Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 KWH Non-Performance 0 To 60 Test - 4.9 SECONDS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should know considering I own an S85. :wink:

But there is nothing stopping them from ordering an S85 with 21" tires. My last loaner car was indeed an S85 with 21" silver wheels.

That is true today but it wasn't always so, so the majority of S85s don't have 21" tires.

- - - Updated - - -

my P85 w/19" PSS (285) might beat your A/S. not sure. I know my 19" A/S hook up better than summers on the strip but they are all 245s

The nominal section width is 245 on both tires, however the tread width is different. This basically means the 19" (with the slightly narrower tread width) will hook up better all things being equal (which they often aren't).

my P85 w/19" PSS (285) might beat your A/S. not sure. I know my 19" A/S hook up better than summers on the strip but they are all 245s

except that these brand new generation A/S 3's are so damn good that they are even blowing away the summer performance tires too, per tirerack's review! :)

The nominal section width is 245 on both tires, however the tread width is different. This basically means the 19" (with the slightly narrower tread width) will hook up better all things being equal (which they often aren't).

I am running with 255/45ZR19's though...so slightly greater tread width.

Elon said the current MS is several hundred pounds lighter than the initial cars. Several hundred could be 10% of the several thousand curb weight of the MS. So it makes sense that S85 is now accelerating 10% (=0.5s) faster than the original cars did.
Question is: Since Dragtimes ran an early P85 at 3.9 s, would a current P85 cut 10% of that to 3.5 s?

I was reading "Owning Model S" by Nick J. Howe. In chapter two, he talks about the weight of the MS and its effect on range. If there is a drop of 10% in curb weight, then there should be an increase of 10% in range.

So with this recent revelation of the car being several hundred pounds lighter (maybe 10% as you mentioned)... shouldn't we be seeing that increase in range? Or maybe owners here who just took delivery are seeing that?

. If there is a drop of 10% in curb weight, then there should be an increase of 10% in range.
Elon specifically addressed this when he talked about the decrease in weight, he said it doesn't have as big an effect as you'd think.

Basically weight is only one part of the equation, a 10% reduction in weight does not equal a 10% decrease in rolling resistance, and has zero effect on air resistance. It also has no effect on resistive heating losses, or power usage in systems other than the drivetrain. As such the weight reduction only has a minimal impact on range.

It's actually likely to have a much bigger impact on acceleration than range though (but even here it will be fairly minimal)

...Basically weight is only one part of the equation, a 10% reduction in weight does not equal a 10% decrease in rolling resistance, ...
IIRC, the rolling resistance equation is: F = Crr * M * g ? Seems if M drops by 10%, F drops by 10%. Do you have a significantly different equation for rolling resistance? Agree that M doesn't contribute to the other main force acting against the car (aero drag).

IIRC, the rolling resistance equation is: F = Crr * M * g ? Seems if M drops by 10%, F drops by 10%. Do you have a significantly different equation for rolling resistance? Agree that M doesn't contribute to the other main force acting against the car (aero drag).
My bad, I was thinking that the tire drag doesn't decrease, but you are correct that although the rolling resistance coefficient doesn't change, total rolling resistance does in fact decrease by 10%, but all other losses remain unchanged. Aerodynamic drag is the biggest thing sucking range though (at speeds where we care about range) and other losses (conversion losses, resistive heating losses, and use by non-drivetrain components) do not change.

Yeah, my hunch is that it's the drive unit. Even a crippled 85 kW A pack can supply power in excess of 350 kW as evidenced by Sig P85s. But maybe there's something different about Sig S85 drive inverters.

There is. That is specifically what they change from the S to P. It is a "hand spun" drive inverter. That is actually one of the key components that needs to get improved if we ever want it to go any faster than 4 seconds on a performance. Based on comments from Elon that seems to be one of the big things holding them back from n ever quicker time. Only the s60 is battery limited.