Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 vs Model S Specs Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the foreseeable future I think it is clear that no "traditional" advertising is needed. TV, radio, print media ads are a waste of money for a production-constrained company like Tesla. Even newer forms of advertising like search engine and other web-based ads are unnecessary. As Red Sage has pointed out, Tesla currently receives more than enough publicity -- for now -- from online and traditional media, social marketing and just viral buzz (i.e. word of mouth).

There will eventually come a time when Tesla has actual competition, probably in 3 to 5 years. That's not to say that other companies will be making better EVs than Tesla, but they will likely be making roughly comparable EVs. At that point Tesla may have to formally devote some resources to ramping up their marketing efforts to educate people about the differences between Tesla EVs and other EVs.

It's certainly true that right now only a small fraction of the car-buying public has any real understanding of what Tesla is offering. But that's okay because the Model S is a very expensive car and they are selling them far faster than they can make them. Once the Model 3 has been out for a few years things may be different and some additional educational effort may be required but, that won't involve traditional advertising. Changing decades of ingrained habits about what a car is and how you fuel it is hard for many people no matter how obvious the advantages may seem to the early adopters.

Yes. The point i was trying to make. That, and going along with the thread title, whatever kind of advertising marketing does need to be done at that point down the road, those costs should be baked into the price of the car which MIGHT affect base specs and options groups.

Yes. The point i was trying to make. That, and going along with the thread title, whatever kind of advertising marketing does need to be done at that point down the road, those costs should be baked into the price of the car which MIGHT affect base specs and options groups.

The ad spend amount won't be totally a negative against profits as it will increase sales and plant utilization, and lower unit costs of batteries and other variable cost components.

Advertising is done for things you have to sell.

Advertising is not needed for things people want to buy.

I really like Coca-Cola products. If I never saw another Coke advertisement for the rest of my life, I would still buy Coke.

I don't drink beer. I have seen literally thousands of commercials that end with a voice-over saying 'Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis MO' -- and I still don't drink beer.

Somehow, I really don't think that Budweiser fans will forget about the product if it isn't advertised any more.

I have never seen an advertisement for a Tesla Motors product. I do not expect I will ever purchase a new vehicle that isn't from Tesla ever again.

If your sales are going down because you aren't advertising, you are doing something wrong.

It's about keeping products top of mind, so when you want a drink, you choose Coke rather than something else, or you go somewhere to look at a new model, or you give a second thought to buying your first EV. Agree it doesn't apply to Tesla to the same degree, but it may be needed to introduce and educate potential second-phase buyers of Model 3. It also helps some people affirm their choices. Have a look at the Volt Facebook page sometime, and you'll see people happy to see Volt advertising and lamenting GM's minimal marketing support -- pretty similar group to the bulk of Model 3 buyers?

As the OP, thanks for all the interesting comments that have focused mostly on performance and range, etc. I have learned a lot, as a newbie and probable future buyer. What about the more mundane space features (see quote) of the two cars?
I would guess it'll be an Audi A4/BMW 3-series w/ a frunk and more room in the trunk. Model S has a deep well where the fuel tank would be on an ICE car. I also hope they continue w/ the "negative space" idea in between the front seats. I like the big open area vs 26 holes and cubbies that I have to try and clean.

The battery floor causes a decrease in rear headroom - you can search around on here for threads on that topic related to Model S. The conclusion was that the pano roof helped but in the end the hatchback shape made it tight for folks w/ long torsos. I have put a few just-over 6-footers in the back and they've been comfortable. Some days it's good to be average ;)

What about the more mundane space features (see quote) of the two cars?
I think that the absolute, bottom-of-the-line, bare-bones, minimalist, affordable, $34,900 version of the Tesla Model ☰ Sedan will be equipped about as well as you'd expect from your typical Toyota Camry LE. There will be options packages for that version that will bring its trim level up to the expected Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES range... And higher end versions of the car will start with a trim level equivalent to an AUDI or VOLVO. All versions will have grab handles, cubby holes, storage bins, map pockets, coat hooks, lighted vanity mirrors, etc... But they will not be made, or presented, the same way as traditional automakers have done. People who are looking for Cadillac/Mercedes-Benz levels of plush will be disappointed yet again.

'When it's time to relax... One beer stands clear... (Beer after beer...) Miller... Tastes too good... To hurry through...'

I think the boot/trunk will sit higher on the model 3 so you get ok head room on the rear seats without the back of the car looking like the front of a Mac truck.
There's also a big difference between having less features on the gen3 and going back to the dark ages.
I expect the 2 screens to be in the gen3, even though elon said possibly 1.
It just makes more sense and gives people the option to buy more features later.
And they are competing with BMW not Toyota.

Last edited:
Wasn't it John Wanamaker who said that "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half."

These days I think its more like 90 percent wasted. Tesla's been very smart about not wasting any money on advertising. Here's hoping it continues with the Model X, and Model 3.

Advertising is done for things you have to sell.

Advertising is not needed for things people want to buy.

I really like Coca-Cola products. If I never saw another Coke advertisement for the rest of my life, I would still buy Coke.

I don't drink beer. I have seen literally thousands of commercials that end with a voice-over saying 'Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis MO' -- and I still don't drink beer.

Somehow, I really don't think that Budweiser fans will forget about the product if it isn't advertised any more.

I have never seen an advertisement for a Tesla Motors product. I do not expect I will ever purchase a new vehicle that isn't from Tesla ever again.

If your sales are going down because you aren't advertising, you are doing something wrong.

I think the boot/trunk will sit higher on the model 3 so you get ok head room on the rear seats without the back of the car looking like the front of a Mac truck.

I would guess that it wouldn't get much taller in the back, that kamm tail is a big help with the S's aerodynamics. My guess is we'll see a much smaller frunk (more of a continuous upslope from the front end through the wind shield). To keep room for a good size battery pack we'll see a long wheel base with very short front and rear overhangs. With a short front overhang the cabin will scoot forward leaving room for back seat head room and a decent length hatch for the gentle down sloping kamm tail.

I'm guessing the front end design will look much more like cars that are designed around a mid/rear engine car then the Model S that has more of a front engine aesthetic.

Headroom is a big issue, I sat in an ELR today and even with the seat all the way down and my head tilted to the side I was still touching the headliner.
I have sat in a Model S and had headroom. My Fusion Energi has just enough headroom.

I am planning my home charging system for Model S delivery in October. It seems wise to install a system capable of charging our next EV too. We are excited about the Model III to fill a city driving purpose. Does anyone here have insight about the charging connection proposed for the Model III?

I am planning my home charging system for Model S delivery in October. It seems wise to install a system capable of charging our next EV too. We are excited about the Model III to fill a city driving purpose. Does anyone here have insight about the charging connection proposed for the Model III?
Of course nobody knows but I think we can assume it will be the same in the Model S, X and 3. The only difference perhaps is the lack of a dual charging option (again, we have no way of knowing) to save money / space.

Can never go wrong w/ a 14-50 outlet. I would assume it will be in the same place as Model S/X but I've run mine outlets in the rafters directly over the car for maximum flexibility.

I am as certain as I can be that it will be the same as the S and the X.

I bet the Model 3 is going to be a hatchback much like the Model S. It will have the same Model S door handles I presume. It would probably have more storage areas, cupholders, a rear fold down armrest, thing of that nature.

I bet the Model 3 is going to be a hatchback much like the Model S. It will have the same Model S door handles I presume. It would probably have more storage areas, cupholders, a rear fold down armrest, thing of that nature.

Hatchback- agree
Same door handles- I would be surprised if they include the same auto opening handles. They have to reduce cost so this is a good place to start.

Hatchback- agree
Same door handles- I would be surprised if they include the same auto opening handles. They have to reduce cost so this is a good place to start.

I would hope that they would include the same door handles. They're aesthetically pleasing and do serve a function with the aerodynamics. If the same door handles are used, then it's actually one less SKU to manufacture, and they will have had enough experience with the door handles already. Wouldn't it be easier for the suppliers to just ramp up even more of the same door handles? I would imagine that mass manufacturing would be able to drive the cost down considerably if the door handles are shared across S/X/3 It's making a statement that you're driving the future before you even enter the vehicle.