Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Update 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Tesla. I'm still learning how the model 3 operates. Since December 18th I've a leased model 3 provided by my employer. This model 3 has no sticks at all. It means the turnings lights are turned on by buttons in the steering wheel. I live in the Netherlands and there are a lot of roundabouts in my environment. It's polite to turn on the right turning light when leaving the roundabout. I'm still struggling to turn on the light at the proper moment, because the button isn't at a fixed location due to the turn of the wheel. Especially at morning rush hour it's a choice whether to turn the light or not. I cope with it by driving slower and need to look where the buttons are located. I'm wondering how other Tesla drivers cope with the buttons-only turning lights.

Reactions: father_of_6
Perhaps a nice courtesy elsewhere, and I've yet to see anyone signal before exiting the numerous roundabouts in US east coast cities. You're driving the newest "Highland" model 3, and like some newer model S and X it lacks stalks on the steering column.

You can easily find much debate about stalkless pros and cons, and are reporting one common difficulty, with turn signals needing to go on (or off) while in a turn. I drove such a model X loaner for a day while my then-new model 3 - with stalks - was in the shop, and decided at least for now I won't own a car without them.

My Kia PHEV has Regen paddles and lots of buttons that all turn with the wheel. They're similarly difficult to use when the wheel is turned. Turn signals are still on the stalks.

its designed in the usa, they dont have roundabouts...
Actually we do, and more are being installed as they are very efficient protocols at busy intersections, i.e., they work well. That said, yeah, stalkless vehicles with signaling buttons on the steering device makes signaling unnecessarily difficult or at least non-intuitive.

The US issue is not that we don’t have roundabouts, it is that we don’t typically use turn signals. Ever. Anywhere. Tesla probably should have left in the USS and just taken out the turn signals if they weren’t Federally mandated for some unknown reason obviously not related to safety.

I'm wondering how other Tesla drivers cope with the buttons-only turning lights.
If this is actually what you are wondering about, you would likely be better off reading some threads in the model S subforum about the turn signals on the model S. Those have been that way (buttons) for a while on that car, and I am pretty sure that are at least a few different threads discussing peoples "feedback" on that.

Here are a couple I found. I am sure there are others though.

(this is one of the big ones, with 7 pages of responses