Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the car know which direction you want to go, forward or backward?
If there is something behind you (even a line in a parking lot) it assumes you want to go forward, if there's something in front of you it assumes you want to reverse. Of course you do a quick visual check first to ensure it's in the direction you want to go, but almost always gets it perfect. The fact it's smart enough to know to look at the lines in the carpark even if there's no car in front or behind is great.

Reactions: dronus
So a place I park in the city which is parallel parking against a wall, when no cars are in front or behind me I would have to over-ride forward and select reverse as backward is the only way out?
If there was no obvious choice, it would not select and you just swipe the direction you want to go.

Generally the only time I have to do that is when I get back home to reverse into the garage. Every other choice is made correctly by the system. Supposedly the next update will fix that as well though.

So here’s a bit of fun.
I use a pi zero2 w to capture all my sentry and recent footage etc. It connects to my home wifi and uploads it to my nas. I can sync music and light shows to it too by putting them in the folder.
I also was playing around with its hostap mode where it acts as an access point when it’s away from home so I can connect from my phone to review all the footage.
I could never work out how to review footage after the window closes in the car after an event.
So.. what if I associate the car wifi to the pi zero wifi and then use the car browser to review footage?
Actually works really well. You can view all sentry events and recent clips, so any events on the road without having to take out the usb.
Viewing from my phone I can also downloads clips.
Pretty cool :)
I wonder if you could use this setup to wirelessly change the lock sound you can load onto the USB? I am currently using the old spice whistle, but the kids love new sounds from time to time, and frankly so do i. but only being able to load on 1 sound and have to pull the USB each time i want change it, is a pain.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
I wonder if you could use this setup to wirelessly change the lock sound you can load onto the USB? I am currently using the old spice whistle, but the kids love new sounds from time to time, and frankly so do i. but only being able to load on 1 sound and have to pull the USB each time i want change it, is a pain.
Yes, if you configure it correctly presenting the right partitions you can use the web interface to upload and download files.

Does the battery warming only work with scheduled departure? Ie if I’m at work at I remotely set the climate control on the warm the cabin up, will it also warm the battery if it needs it?
Or does that only happen if you use scheduled departure?
As scheduled departure doesn’t appear to be location aware I will probably be too lazy to change it during the day, but as the days get colder I’m hoping to do what I can to have the battery looked after for my evening commute.
I'm not sure whether preconditioning the cabin also preconditions the battery. Maybe someone with an OBD scanner can let us know.

The scheduled departure/scheduled charging setup is supposed to be location-aware, though.

So here’s a bit of fun.
I use a pi zero2 w to capture all my sentry and recent footage etc. It connects to my home wifi and uploads it to my nas. I can sync music and light shows to it too by putting them in the folder.
I also was playing around with its hostap mode where it acts as an access point when it’s away from home so I can connect from my phone to review all the footage.
I could never work out how to review footage after the window closes in the car after an event.
So.. what if I associate the car wifi to the pi zero wifi and then use the car browser to review footage?
Actually works really well. You can view all sentry events and recent clips, so any events on the road without having to take out the usb.
Viewing from my phone I can also downloads clips.
Pretty cool :)
Definitely pin for the glovebox for this type of set up, if the pi stores any of your Tesla credentials to perform these operations.

I'm not sure whether preconditioning the cabin also preconditions the battery.
I don't have OBD scanner
But I scheduled departure yesterday morning

Pre schedule departure battery 18C Ambient 14C as measured by car in garage
Post schedule departure battery temp 19C but that was after adding 10 kwh to the battery using 7A 3 phase (5kW). Ambient temp at end of charge as measured by car 16C

No blue bar seen on charging line in tesla app.

I don't think it heats the battery unless around or below 0C and plugged in according to other comments in other parts of TMC forum and then the heating is only until 5C. But could be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Jules22
S3XY Knob is not yet shipping for Highland. They needed to update the physical aspects for the newer car.

I received the Commander and buttons a little while ago. They work as advertised. Resuming AP after lane change works (does not need/use buttons). It's great.

I have so far installed just one button. I placed it on the horizontal surface under the leading edge of the centre arm rest. It opens the glove box. I don't put anything valuable in there, so no security issue. Makes it simple for passenger to open and use the box. Been too busy to think about other button uses.

With the relocated centre screen (see earlier post) the 'gear change' is a bit harder to see/reach. When the Knob arrives, its first job will be to change 'gears'. (I could do that now with buttons - but the Knob will be better.)

View attachment 1041448
I have one behind the steering wheen near my right hand which I use for selecting forward / reverse... I tend to use the button more than the slide on the screen as I find it a little clunky.

Also have another behind the display, next to my garage opener that I stuck behind there. I use that one for glove box and interior lights.

Not decided on what function to use for the other buttons as yet.

I have one behind the steering wheen near my right hand which I use for selecting forward / reverse... I tend to use the button more than the slide on the screen as I find it a little clunky.

Also have another behind the display, next to my garage opener that I stuck behind there. I use that one for glove box and interior lights.

Not decided on what function to use for the other buttons as yet.
Last one to make fart noises perhaps?