Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my test drive and here are some thoughts;

- I can’t believe I’m going to say this but the SR is plenty fast and the steering is miles better. RWD > AWD.

- I LOVE the new steering wheels, feels so much better in your hands. If I could retrofit into my car with the buttons blanked out then I definitely would do it.

- Comfort and sound deadening is marginally better but nothing to write home about.

- New cabin is OK, big fan of the ambient lighting and the cooled seats are nice. Mrs though the rear screen to control the climate and seat heating was good but would never watch anything on it as she thought she’d get sick looking down while on the move.

Don’t like the new materials used on the door and the dash, seems like a step back from the previous car

- Indicators are bad. I’m sure over time I could get used to it but it’s easy to hit the wrong direction when indicating, which I did a couple of times and will have confused people.

There’s also a bit of added mental load as I have to check using my eyes which button I’m about to press and also double checking on the screen that I’ve definitely hit the right button.

Indicating off a roundabout is also as bad as I thought it would be.

At the end of the day I’m now having to think about something I’ve never had to think about before and that means, irrespective of any other supposed benefits, it’s worse than the existing stalks.

- I did a 3 point turn with traffic about and the gear selection on the screen gets a thumbs down from me. Again, lots of additional mental load compared to what was there before.

- This was the first time I’ve used vision parking sensors and the high fidelity visuals and both were pretty poor.

It’s good that it visualises the kerb but the fact it beeps at you and tells you to stop when you’re trying to park tight to the kerb is incredibly annoying.

All in all, nice car and an incremental improvement in a lot of places but the lack of stalks and questionable parking sensors are so much worse that it means it’s objectively a worse car than the previous model.

Just had my test drive and here are some thoughts;

- I can’t believe I’m going to say this but the SR is plenty fast and the steering is miles better. RWD > AWD.

- I LOVE the new steering wheels, feels so much better in your hands. If I could retrofit into my car with the buttons blanked out then I definitely would do it.

- Comfort and sound deadening is marginally better but nothing to write home about.

- New cabin is OK, big fan of the ambient lighting and the cooled seats are nice. Mrs though the rear screen to control the climate and seat heating was good but would never watch anything on it as she thought she’d get sick looking down while on the move.

Don’t like the new materials used on the door and the dash, seems like a step back from the previous car

- Indicators are bad. I’m sure over time I could get used to it but it’s easy to hit the wrong direction when indicating, which I did a couple of times and will have confused people.

There’s also a bit of added mental load as I have to check using my eyes which button I’m about to press and also double checking on the screen that I’ve definitely hit the right button.

Indicating off a roundabout is also as bad as I thought it would be.

At the end of the day I’m now having to think about something I’ve never had to think about before and that means, irrespective of any other supposed benefits, it’s worse than the existing stalks.

- I did a 3 point turn with traffic about and the gear selection on the screen gets a thumbs down from me. Again, lots of additional mental load compared to what was there before.

- This was the first time I’ve used vision parking sensors and the high fidelity visuals and both were pretty poor.

It’s good that it visualises the kerb but the fact it beeps at you and tells you to stop when you’re trying to park tight to the kerb is incredibly annoying.

All in all, nice car and an incremental improvement in a lot of places but the lack of stalks and questionable parking sensors are so much worse that it means it’s objectively a worse car than the previous model.
I don't think I'd ever have guessed you of all people would have had issue with the lack of USS and the indicator buttons ;)

I find the high fidelity parking assist good. Warning that you are close to the curb is a bonus, not a negative in my opinion.

We got our new X with a yoke delivered a few days ago. I have to say I adapted really quickly to the turn indicator buttons and so far I actually really like the buttons. I’m particularly surprised how well the auto cancelling works, for example when changing two lanes at once or first changing lane then turning, the car seems always to figure out correctly when to turn off the indicators. In most cases the buttons are right under your thumb which is very convenient and aesthetically the dash looks nice and clean without the stalks.

Reactions: Jules22
Is that not the point? It bongs before you hit something to warn you that you are close to it? If it bonged as you hit it what would be the point.
I think you’re misunderstanding me, it’s bonging to say stop, not to give an audible warning that you’re getting closer.

It should be telling you to stop if you’re about to hit the kerb, not when there’s more than 10cm between your wheels and the kerb.

Just went back to collect my car after the service and I take back the comment about the SR having enough power, 1 minute back in my car and I’ve returned to thinking you can never have too much horsepower 😏

I stand by the steering comment. I said a while back a RWD M3P would be an amazing car.

I think you’re misunderstanding me, it’s bonging to say stop, not to give an audible warning that you’re getting closer.

It should be telling you to stop if you’re about to hit the kerb, not when there’s more than 10cm between your wheels and the kerb.
Right and I know you don’t want a taxi to the curb but 10cm for car sensors is pretty close so I still don’t think it’s wrong to be warning you a lot at that kind of distance. I imagine in the US they don’t park as close to the curb as we do so it’ll be setup based on what they think is realistic.

I think USS would be telling you to stop also at 10cm but you don’t get this because it cannot see a curb.

Reactions: Jules22
You’re right, it wouldn’t, but arguably it’s better to not be alarmed by it screaming “STOP” when you’re 10+ cm away from the kerb 🤷‍♂️
I dont think it ultimately knows what the object is as it's just using its occupancy network. I imagine in the future it'll be able to get smarter on this.

With that in mind, how many cm before you collide with an object do you think it should warn you about that potential impending collision?