Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to be sedan AND crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric Pacer?
1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_at_2012_Rockville_s.jpg

So perhaps the only "news" part of this is:
1) Both sedan and crossover versions of gen 3 platform might be called Model 3 (instead of speculation crossover be called Model Y or something).
2) Both sedan and crossover released at roughly the same time.
Both of the above really depends on how the statement is worded.

But I agree with others that it has been long known and expected that a sedan and crossover will be built on gen 3 platform.

My thinking on platform:

- Large chassis v1 is current Model S
- Large chassis v2 is Model X, and refreshed Model S that will include new features from the X
- Small chassis v1 is all Model 3 variants, including crossover.

Two chassis is plenty to build 5-10 models of cars. This is standard, modern auto manufacturing.

So does this sound familiar? Mazda has a sedan, hatchback and a SUV all on the same platform and all a "model 3". The Mazda 3. sedan, Mazda 3 hatchback now the Mazda CX3 SUV. Sounds like the Head of Design that came from Mazda is reaching into his old bag of tricks.

So does this sound familiar? Mazda has a sedan, hatchback and a SUV all on the same platform and all a "model 3". The Mazda 3. sedan, Mazda 3 hatchback now the Mazda CX3 SUV. Sounds like the Head of Design that came from Mazda is reaching into his old bag of tricks.

This isn't anything "new" though. Many car companies build cars that share platforms.

No but it might give us some insight into what the Model 3 might look like. A better version of the Mazda 3???

I guess if the X came out looking like the Mazda 7 (I think that's their CUV), then perhaps, but I wouldn't get my hopes up there. There's a bunch of threads on speculation of Model 3 looks (along with some quotes from folks at Tesla). I think that's a better place to start than the design of a car from a company the designer worked for ages ago.

Yep I am thinking maybe 5 cars off this chassis.

1. Sedan / Hatchback 4/5 door
2. CUV / Wagon 4/5 door
3. Coupe 2 door
4. Convertible 2 door 2+2 passenger
5. Roadster 2 door 2 passenger
Finally! Someone who agrees with me! This is precisely as I envision the Generation III product line. Had the car been unveiled this year, I would have expected at least three variants on the podium. Since it won't be until next year, I think Tesla Motors will be more gradual with releases than I'd hoped. So, one or two versions of Model ≡ will be revealed Q1 2016. Anything else will be displayed later, but within 12-18 months of first deliveries of those new variants.

I don't think Tesla with make a convertible, roadster and coupe. I see one of these on the Gen III platform at some point. If you look at the combined market for those three body styles they are less than sedan on its own.