Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland or Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to obtain a balanced view as I posted this dilemma over in the MY forum.
We are quite set on buying the Model Y after a few thorough drives. While we briefly check out the M3 Highland at the sales centre, we didn't consider it as good value as the price are pretty much the same. The refreshed Model 3 has seen positive improvements. However Tesla just dropped the M3H significantly and it got us re-thinking our choices. The Tesla will be an additional car. We also have a BMW wagon that we will keep. Therefore I am thinking maybe the M3 Highland might work out as our primary commuter vehicle. Looking at RWD variants for both models.

I feel the MY with the additional space would be nice for family trips and hauling stuff. Although the latter can be done with our Bimmer. Also I feel it looks a bit more upscale than the M3 tbh. However it is an aging design with Juniper probably landing next year. We can enjoy the M3H now. Damn Tesla for dropping the M3H price that much!
Thoughts????

Im going to leave this for now, but just as a note, we dont allow cross posting the same content in multiple subforums here on TMC. As you mentioned, you made the same post in the model Y subforum. I understand why (which is why I am not deleting it at this particular time) but as a rule we dont allow this in general.

Tesla Canada dropped 3k for its M3H across the board. It was about the same price as the MY. Now that there the gap is larger, M3H begins to nudge into our radar. There are some nice new improvements there.

I’ll throw in a vote for the Highland Model 3. A few reasons:
  • The cargo space is impressive: over 24 cubic feet. That’s a LOT more than many mid-size SUVs. Does the Model Y have more? Yes, it does, but do you really NEED more than 24 cubic feet? That’s almost 50% more than a Porsche Macan. I cross-shopped the model 3 with a bunch of different cars with cargo space as a primary focus, because I need to do a long road trip with a ton of stuff. It’s amazing how many fairly large cars have far less cargo space.
  • The Highland upgrades are for real: extremely quiet and much more refined ride quality.
  • Incredible efficiency: I’m getting close to 200 Wh/mile
  • Lighter, nimbler, and with lower center of gravity, all of which adds up to more fun to drive.
  • LFP battery – charge to 100% and never really worry about lifespan.

Reactions: Dear_OP
  • The cargo space is impressive: over 24 cubic feet. That’s a LOT more than many mid-size SUVs. Does the Model Y have more? Yes, it does, but do you really NEED more than 24 cubic feet? That’s almost 50% more than a Porsche Macan. I cross-shopped the model 3 with a bunch of different cars with cargo space as a primary focus, because I need to do a long road trip with a ton of stuff. It’s amazing how many fairly large cars have far less cargo space.
  • The Highland upgrades are for real: extremely quiet and much more refined ride quality.
  • Lighter, nimbler, and with lower center of gravity, all of which adds up to more fun to drive.

model 3 does have trunkspace but the parcelshelf is annoying. cant fit any bulky objects.

I will help you narrow down, how long would be your drives and how tall are you. I bought my M3LR last year July and have done over 23k kms already, I am 5’10 and let’s just say I wish I had went with the MYLR, it’s purely due to driving comfort, rest everything I love my M3(better acceleration, better sound hopefully due to smaller cabin space and better range)

I will help you narrow down, how long would be your drives and how tall are you. I bought my M3LR last year July and have done over 23k kms already, I am 5’10 and let’s just say I wish I had went with the MYLR, it’s purely due to driving comfort, rest everything I love my M3(better acceleration, better sound hopefully due to smaller cabin space and better range)
I too am 5'10". Hybrid remote work means we commute 2-3 times a week. The commute is about 30km one way. I'm not averse to sedans. Years ago I had a BMW 330i RWD that I foolishly sold. Missed the "honest to God" RWD driving experience. Loved the weighted tactile steering feel too. We even did some short road trips with the family. Then again that was quite some years ago. Maybe the M3H can sort of bring back those memories.
Is the thigh support lacking with the Model 3? The seats looked the same as the MY.
Maybe I'm getting older, but I do not think I am a speed junky. Used to autocross, lap days and TSD rallies in my younger days. I just need a car that can get out of its own way which I believe both models can do so easily.

Model 3 Stealth P owner here. As part of my "ongoing education" I did back-to-back-to-back drives in a 2024 Model Y, 2024 Model 3 Highland, and my 2018 Model 3P on a local loop of surface streets, mountain road, and freeway.

My take: The Model Y is a great car, and a surprisingly-good handler on the twisties. However, its ride and noise levels are harsh compared to the old Model 3, which in turn is quite a bit worse than the new Model 3. And although the Y handles curvy roads very nicely, the 3 is fun on them.

Downside of the 3 is configuration: Trunk vs. hatch. If you have to carry big things, the hatch makes insertion easier.

I dunno... test them both. I'm 6'5" and I've driven both... I prefer the 3.

I too am 5'10". Hybrid remote work means we commute 2-3 times a week. The commute is about 30km one way. I'm not averse to sedans. Years ago I had a BMW 330i RWD that I foolishly sold. Missed the "honest to God" RWD driving experience. Loved the weighted tactile steering feel too. We even did some short road trips with the family. Then again that was quite some years ago. Maybe the M3H can sort of bring back those memories.
Is the thigh support lacking with the Model 3? The seats looked the same as the MY.
Maybe I'm getting older, but I do not think I am a speed junky. Used to autocross, lap days and TSD rallies in my younger days. I just need a car that can get out of its own way which I believe both models can do so easily.
Yes front seats are exactly same but you sit higher in MY so the angle is more supportive of your thigh. I drive 90 kms one way so that could be the reason too. But based on what you have mentioned I think you will enjoy M3 more, the driving dynamics are just great.

What's the total cargo space with the rear seats folded down + under trunk storage + frunk?

What's the total cargo space with the rear seats folded down + under trunk storage + frunk?
I don’t know.

When I was car shopping I did a DEEP DIVE on cargo space and here was one key conclusion I arrived at: there is absolutely ZERO consistency in the reporting of storage space with the seats down, on any car. You can find people spewing out numbers, but they vary dramatically, even for the same car.

Overall, most sedans and small SUVs gain a somewhat similar amount of cubic feet when you put the seats down. So in a way the only consistent way to judge is to compare seats-up to seats-up numbers, and then realize that you probably get another 15 cubic feet or so with the seats down.

I read a number of OLDER comparison reviews of cargo space in the Y versus the 3. Most seem to settle on a bit 10% more space in the Y. But those were comparing the old 3 to the Y; the Highland refresh increases cargo space.

I don’t know.

When I was car shopping I did a DEEP DIVE on cargo space and here was one key conclusion I arrived at: there is absolutely ZERO consistency in the reporting of storage space with the seats down, on any car. You can find people spewing out numbers, but they vary dramatically, even for the same car.

Overall, most sedans and small SUVs gain a somewhat similar amount of cubic feet when you put the seats down. So in a way the only consistent way to judge is to compare seats-up to seats-up numbers, and then realize that you probably get another 15 cubic feet or so with the seats down.

I read a number of OLDER comparison reviews of cargo space in the Y versus the 3. Most seem to settle on a bit 10% more space in the Y. But those were comparing the old 3 to the Y; the Highland refresh increases cargo space.

How about the under trunk storage?