Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 (Highland)- Spoiler improves or reduces range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if adding a spoiler to my model 3 will reduce my range? I really like the look of a carbon fiber lip but range is important for me. My round trip commute everyday is 124 miles so every mile counts 😅

Thanks in advance, hope someone’s already done this with their highland model 3!

Does anyone know if adding a spoiler to my model 3 will reduce my range? I really like the look of a carbon fiber lip but range is important for me. My round trip commute everyday is 124 miles so every mile counts 😅

Thanks in advance, hope someone’s already done this with their highland model 3!

As for actually improving aerodynamics, the only thing that I can think of right off the bat is to wait for Unplugged to come out with this for the new 3.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Actually UP did an aerodynamic study on this: Tesla Model 3 Aero Efficiency Package A - Unplugged Performance and showed that it did indeed improve aerodynamics. I have both of these spoilers on my 3 and at highway speeds see about a 10% improvement.
My thoughts... In the world of EV Range Wars: If adding an inch to the trunk lid gave the car a ~30 mile increase in range, Tesla would restamp the trunk lid or buy UP to get the product.

I think many buy the spoiler to cover damage from hitting the lid on garage doors and fire sprinkler pipes.

Upvote 0

You can draw your own conclusions.

They bought some simulation software, made their own Tesla model based off some template or guess, added the spoiler, and never correlated their model with a wind tunnel to see if it's actually accurate enough to be useful. It's not like they have access to Tesla's in-house models.

HINT: they call it a "spoiler" because it spoils the aerodynamics for the sake of downforce.

Upvote 0
Down force...I thought that only comes into use when blasting around a race track over 200 mph..(in a non Tesla)
Just a guess, but I don’t think those 200mph cars hold the spoiler on with double sided sticky tape.

IMG_2419.jpeg

Upvote 0
My thoughts... In the world of EV Range Wars: If adding an inch to the trunk lid gave the car a ~30 mile increase in range, Tesla would restamp the trunk lid or buy UP to get the product.

I think many buy the spoiler to cover damage from hitting the lid on garage doors and fire sprinkler pipes.

You do have a point. For all we know the wind tunnel tests could all be a simulation for marketing; however, there are members who say that it helps so I guess there's some substance to the claims..

As for Tesla, they can't even add in a simple blind spot indicator, so it'd be hard to give them the benefit of the doubt to do anything beyond bare minimum. As we know for them it's all about cost cutting. Perhaps the current spec of the spoilers on the Performance models are the bare minimum length, before crossing over into the no gain territory?

I would like to see a test of someone 3D printing a spoiler to extend further out from the UP one and to see how much that helps. In theory, the more tear drop shape the car is, the better the drag co-efficiency should be.

This is why the IONIQ 6 is designed the way that it is with the aggressive rear slope and duck bill spoilers making it one of the lowest drag co-efficiency EVs. 0.20 iirc.

Very curious now. Anyone have a 3D printer? I'll bring the drinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: canasion35
Upvote 0
Sure, adding a flat inch to the trunk lid will increase efficiency, and adding 2" would increase it more, 3" even more.
Where does it end? Tesla had to pick a point at which they were comfortable stopping. So no, they aren't going to redesign their truck because they've already made the decision where to stop.
While drag coefficient is a part of their design focus, it's not the only thing they design for.
They're trying to mass produce a car, that will appeal to the masses.
They aren't making solar racers.
1712675857291.png

Upvote 0
Sure, adding a flat inch to the trunk lid will increase efficiency, and adding 2" would increase it more, 3" even more.
Where does it end? Tesla had to pick a point at which they were comfortable stopping. So no, they aren't going to redesign their truck because they've already made the decision where to stop.
While drag coefficient is a part of their design focus, it's not the only thing they design for.
They're trying to mass produce a car, that will appeal to the masses.
They aren't making solar racers.
View attachment 1036972

I agree and support your point. In reality I question how much the stock spoiler on the 3 and Y actually helps. It's likely more so for visuals, which is fine as it does add a nice touch.

It's a challenge to balance style with aerodynamics. Although polarizing, I think HMG did a great job with the IONIQ 6 in creating a Sedan with such features with the aggressive rear slope to achieve one of the best drag co-efficiencies in the automotive space.

To HMG's credit, the've also created a boxy KIA EV9 true SUV that has very respectable drag co-efficiency numbers of just 0.28, which is better than an land rover.

Tesla as you've implied is all about:

Least amount of material as possible + Fastest Production + Removing things and market it as it being an upgrade/feature (Complete Apple iphone move) + Exciting the clueless fanboys + Most cost effective method + Screwing Tesla owners where they see fit best = Tesla.

There's no way Tesla is going to go out of their way to actually do something meaningful past the line of "just good enough." + "within spec." - To their credit the Model S Plaid is an outlier in that there's nothing that can touch it in straight line performance for $90K. For that I'm a big supporter of the S Plaid and will be replacing my 3P with it in the near future.

In some ways I think that the design of EVs are somewhat limited, in respect to achieving the best range and aerodynamics, to the current battery tech. It's not that the battery needs to get bigger, but once we get closer to solid state, the slice in the pie of having to design an EV with drag co-efficiency in mind will become slimmer. ie... all this adding an inch, to two inches to making a car look like a pebble for maximum aerodynamics will become less important.

With EVs we're limited by the battery tech at the moment. It's all about having a balance. Tesla and other EV makers could easily slap on a huge battery back, but that's just dead weight and not practical. - On the flip side, we're seeing this on the new Silverado that has a 200kWh battery, which is insane! Imagine a new battery tech that has the same amount of power in the same battery pack. - This is what makes EVs so exicting.

Upvote 0