Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yet only a handful of people seem to have... a beta test... mmm, perhaps people should be more accurate and announce this is not released, but a beta sent out to beta testers and it will be coming in the future?

This is how Agile software development works. They aggressively roll out new features, as long as they don't incur safety risk, and use the feedback to rapidly iterate and improve the software as they roll it out.

In the end, it delivers features much faster than trying to get them all perfect before releasing anything

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is how Agile software development works. They aggressively roll out new features, as long as they don't incur safety risk, and use the feedback to rapidly iterate and improve the software as they roll it out.

In the end, it delivers features much faster than trying to get them all perfect before releasing anything
But all the "influencers" and Tesla themselves have billed this as a released feature. Why is being truthful such a hard thing to do? Call it released to beta testers and it'll be out soon, not "Tesla releases....". I'm all for rolling releases, but Tesla stop the lying.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike
But all the "influencers" and Tesla themselves have billed this as a released feature. Why is being truthful such a hard thing to do? Call it released to beta testers and it'll be out soon, not "Tesla releases....". I'm all for rolling releases, but Tesla stop the lying.
It is released to customer vehicles, not a select group of Beta testers. Normal vehicle owners have gotten the update.
Granted, it is a small group of customer vehicles but still public customer vehicles nonetheless. They found issues and are holding the rollout until issues are fixed. That way the issues in their software don't affect a large number of customer vehicles. It usually takes a few weeks for software updates to reach most customers. This is just how Tesla rolls out OTA updates.

TeslaFi doesn't include all vehicles so absolute numbers are irrelevant, but it's percentages should be applicable to the entire fleet. 1.8% of all Tesla owners is not the kind of rollout where they send it to 10-15% of the fleet in batches and slowly roll it out. We're talking less than 2% which represents the beta tester group, employees, and YouTube influencers. If you look at the S/X 2019.4.2 rollout they currently stand at approximately 15% rolled out and have stopped, possibly to re-evaluate or to fix a bug who knows. But for the Model 3 2019.5.x line they obviously rolled out a very small amount, then released another version, then another version, then they haven't released anything for 3 days. This is not the slow rollout of a release, but the small rollout to beta testers and people who will make articles or videos touting new features that are not yet released. No big deal really, just be honest.

I'm all for rolling releases, but Tesla stop the lying.

The fact that you don't understand rolling releases doesn't mean Tesla is lying.

Like @DJung said, this didn't go out to beta testers. It went out to regular customers, just not to all of them.

When you don't get 5.0, there was a bug or edge case or problem you didn't get. Same with 5.1 and 5.2.

Production software has bugs, too, not just beta testing software. Problems you can't find until you start it rolling.

The fact that you don't understand rolling releases doesn't mean Tesla is lying.

Like @DJung said, this didn't go out to beta testers. It went out to regular customers, just not to all of them.

When you don't get 5.0, there was a bug or edge case or problem you didn't get. Same with 5.1 and 5.2.

Production software has bugs, too, not just beta testing software. Problems you can't find until you start it rolling.
So you're saying that they only rolled it out to a couple percent, different than they have done in the past for just this release? So they are changing their prior method of rolling out to 15% or so at a time and are now rolling it out to 0.5-1% at a time? Wow, you must be someone with insider Tesla knowledge. I'd love to hear your detailed proof of this that this is going out to non-beta testers and media/youtubers/influencers.

She/He (yes I can rudely talk to you in the third person as well) is alluding to my mention of influencers. I'd include Early Access Program, Beta Testers, Tesla Employees, Friends of Tesla, people who pester Technical Support for an update, yes all of them as a group, the people who get early access to work out bugs in a beta or who get access to the beta because they make videos or influence the public at large regarding yet unreleased features. Different than the rollout of a public release.

She/He (yes I can rudely talk to you in the third person as well) is alluding to my mention of influencers. I'd include Early Access Program, Beta Testers, Tesla Employees, Friends of Tesla, people who pester Technical Support for an update, yes all of them as a group, the people who get early access to work out bugs in a beta or who get access to the beta because they make videos or influence the public at large regarding yet unreleased features. Different than the rollout of a public release.
I apologize if I have offended you, I have a (bad) habit of using he as a unisex pronoun.

Just letting you know that this is normal rollout procedure for Tesla.

Early Access Program, Beta Testers, Tesla Employees (some)
These folks get special builds, and rumor is that they're testing other unreleased features right now. So they aren't getting this specific update.

people who pester Technical Support for an update
Technical Support people are unable to choose who gets updates first

who get access to the beta because they make videos or influence the public at large regarding yet unreleased features.
Not likely, Tesla batches updates randomly or to a specific region. If they're testing cold weather improvements, usually those go to colder climate areas first. I don't think influencers get updates first, since not all "influencers" get the update at the same time. I doubt Tesla even tracks which car belongs to which influencer. There just happens to be a lot of people active on Social Media that post about Tesla and some of them happen to get updates in the first batch.

I've owned Tesla vehicles for 5+ years now, and this is just how Tesla generally sends out updates. They've had issues in the past where they have sent a bad build to too many people thus flooding service centers and Tesla support lines (such as the time Tesla broke homelink functionality). I think they're generally more cautious now.

Let's be honest Tesla is bending the truth like they always do with overly optimistic predictions. Rolling releases are done when all bugs have been fixed not in the initial small release to be tested by small number of customers.

Let's looks at the software industry and in particular Microsoft, as an example, since they have the software release process down to an art. They release a new version of Windows every 6 months. They have a relatively small group of customers that opt in to get pre-released beta versions of upcoming software knowing that they are full of bugs. These users will get new builds constantly for that entire 6 months of development and those are not rolling, since small groups don't need to be rolled.

When all the customer reported bugs are fixed, and the software is ready, that's when they announce the release date. It is at this point that the rest of the public gets the software in a rolling fashion. Why rolling? Because when you are finally ready for wide public distribution you can't have all the users get it at once. Rolling prevents the servers from being swamped. This is the proper time to do rolling not during the small release test phase.

Tesla however does this process in an odd way. They publicize the release when the software has not been tested by anybody outside Tesla so it is guaranteed to be loaded with bugs (as we have seen every time). They strangely claim its a rolling release when undoubtedly bugs that will immediately surface will stop the wide release thus not needing it to be rolled until it's ready for wide release.

Tesla looks like an immature child constantly reaching and rushing to things without going through the proper steps that the software industry took years to developed and perfect. Thinking as a child with a blank slate is great for inventing and innovating but its a shame that Tesla, is so reluctant to adopt even the most basic things that have come before them, like a proper software release process that doesn't need reinventing.

Reactions: pscarroll
Well I guess I'm wrong. Everyone is actively and currently receiving Sentry and Dog mode and TeslaFi is 100% wrong, 50% of the fleet has the 2019.5.3 release tonight and more to come! The software is rolling out as we speak. It's just a coincidence that people who post high-quality, production and monetization-enabled YouTube videos happen to get releases early so they can post about the new features, pure random chance. Gotcha.

Well I guess I'm wrong. Everyone is actively and currently receiving Sentry and Dog mode and TeslaFi is 100% wrong, 50% of the fleet has the 2019.5.3 release tonight and more to come! The software is rolling out as we speak. It's just a coincidence that people who post high-quality, production and monetization-enabled YouTube videos happen to get releases early so they can post about the new features, pure random chance. Gotcha.
In my opinion, you'd have more success defending your point if you used a less sarcastic and more cooperative tone.

In my opinion, you'd have more success defending your point if you used a less sarcastic and more cooperative tone.
Sorry I was even more wrong, TeslaFi just straight up lies. 99% of the fleet has 2019.51.3. Just be patient, maybe connect to WiFi or if you're on WiFi try LTE and you'll get the update, or better yet go to a Tesla service center, drive around the block 3 times, hit park and long-press the Tesla logo for 30 seconds and type in 'Falcon 9', then you'll get the update. Or some other ridiculous recommendation to get updates posted on the Internet. My sarcasm has nothing to do with the disinformation spouted by people on here, the Internet in general, or from Tesla. I don't cooperate with disinformation. When I have real data that is showing that this is not a rolling release, that updates have stopped, that no release is happening I'm not going to "cooperate" with lies.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Sorry I was even more wrong, TeslaFi just straight up lies. 99% of the fleet has 2019.51.3. Just be patient, maybe connect to WiFi or if you're on WiFi try LTE and you'll get the update, or better yet go to a Tesla service center, drive around the block 3 times, hit park and long-press the Tesla logo for 30 seconds and type in 'Falcon 9', then you'll get the update. Or some other ridiculous recommendation to get updates posted on the Internet. My sarcasm has nothing to do with the disinformation spouted by people on here, the Internet in general, or from Tesla. I don't cooperate with disinformation. When I have real data that is showing that this is not a rolling release, that updates have stopped, that no release is happening I'm not going to "cooperate" with lies.
co·op·er·ate
/kōˈäpəˌrāt/
verb
  1. work jointly toward the same end.
This community has a history of working together towards the same end(s). We can disagree on how to get there, or what happens along the way, but we're all here because of Tesla. Criticism of Tesla is common, but even a cursory review of this site will tell you that those who approach an issue with a conciliatory tone are much more likely to receive the corroboration they are clearly seeking.

Then I am wrong, carry on with talking about the roll-out of Sentry Mode and Dog Mode. I look forward to the videos, the posts about people using the software by real, regular customers. I'll ignore facts and keep thinking positively. Then if Tesla can't be at fault, why does TeslaFi have such faulty data? How could they be so wrong with so many people receiving the rolling update as we speak?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I got this reply today from customer service:

"Track Mode was first available to Model 3 Performance cars with the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP). Model 3 Performance cars without PUP received Track Mode in software update 2019.4. Note that performance and endurance is comparatively lower without performance tires and brakes.

So P3D- getting a lesser track mode that required software changes is confirmed, eh? :)