Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rwd and weather conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick search on the forum to see if this has been discussed recently and didn’t see any topics.

For Model 3 rwd owners, how does it handle in rain, snow, or icy conditions? I assume with the heavy torque, engine in back, and battery / weight distribution it may handle just as well as a fwd

I did a quick search on the forum to see if this has been discussed recently and didn’t see any topics.

For Model 3 rwd owners, how does it handle in rain, snow, or icy conditions? I assume with the heavy torque, engine in back, and battery / weight distribution it may handle just as well as a fwd
Yes as I have one. But like FWD it is not magic and if you get heavy snow often, AWD is better. It did fine the day AFTER a 10” snow but not that one day. To be fair I did not see a single car out. Just 4wd trucks that first day.

There's a video of a guy in Canada playing after the first big snow. He tried to turn donuts, couldn't do it. Floored it, the car only crept along.
My feeling is that the traction control is far beyond most other vehicles, and that the RWD will probably beat many AWD.
Now sure, the car has a lower clearance and riding on top of snow can be an issue. And sure, it may not be able to climb as big of an incline as a pickup with knobies on it. But it will do better than the standard Camrys and such.

Not much of an issue in the snow, but if you can afford the AWD, I would probably go that route. You definitely need winter tires with the RWD, but may be able to wing it with the AWD. With snow on the ground and winter tires, it handles about as good or better than our BMW 335i that is also RWD. You tires will spin a bit on occasion with the rear end.

Please remember that AWD can help you get going in low-traction conditions but stopping or turning, it does nothing. Please always have the right tire for the conditions..

Edit: yes AWD might help in some traction situations but in general... just pre-empting :)

Last edited:
No issues with RWD and stock tires in rain. They aren’t great in snow, so I’d suggest getting a set of winter tires. I’d make the same suggestion for AWD since stopping in slippery conditions is all about having proper tires.

Reactions: Msjulie