Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Deliveries via "Summoning"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The law says that if you charge a delivery (or "destination") fee, it must be the same for everybody regardless of how far from the factory they are getting the car (including at the factory).

Wow... I guess I kind of understand the intent of that, but that seems incredibly stupid when one is picking it up at the location its built (aka, not delivered). I guess I'll just pick it up at the service station 8 minutes away then.

Think of the games kids/big kids could play.
Like when you put bullets or coins on a train linein the good old days.
So 100 Models 3 are travelling in convoy, driverless and following the leader. A meter apart.
Someone throws a teddy bear, stuffed deer or inflatable kangaroo in between them. Lots of fun. Someone shoves a dummy manequin kid in, and the cars all go into self-sacrifice/ save the kid mode. Big laugh for someone. 99 wrecked cars were on their way to be delivered to a SC near you. They pretty obviously have no passengers as they are all new and batched for delivery.

I guess you could also play chicken with them.
Probably more serious would be 1000 driverless trucks in convoy, in the scenarios above.

Driverless trucks, huge ones, already operate the mines in Australia. Put a lot of girls out of work probably.

Just throwing out an interesting idea that crossed my mind:

Elon said in 2 years the summon feature should work anywhere connected by land. What if your Model 3 (for fun let's assume it will have this feature) could be delivered autonomously to your house? You could select 2 delivery options:

(1) summon delivery = free
(2) standard delivery = $$$

summon delivery: faster delivery, free, mileage on car
standard delivery: zero miles/wear put on your new baby, slower delivery, delivery charge

Realistic or pure fantasy?

Suddenly, this idea just went from fantasy to realistic. Maybe not 2017, but maybe 2018 or 19. Woah.

I suppose it could show up wrapped in some kind of delivery covering (with selective cutouts for the cameras to see). Maybe a Kevlar temporary car cover or something like that.
But then there would be the unavoidable tire wear...

driving.png

XKCD is going to need to update this one. Tesla has just eliminated the need for the rock. And no "Vroooom", of course...

• Funny
Reactions: Tes LA and tga
Can you imagine the state of summoned cars? Especially when you summon the car in the morning after it has just got finished summoning a group of drunks. Can you imagine the smell?

No thanks. I'm going to buy my own.
Worse, can you imagine how your car would be treated if you put it out in the fleet for a night? I like to think that, if I were driving the car (ie, Uber/Lyft), that the passengers would show a little respect. Remove the owner's/driver's supervision, and you'll have all kind of nightmares - vandals summoning a Tesla just to "trash a rich guys car", drunks throwing up in it, amorous couples doing you-know-what in the back seat, etc.

Thanks, I'll pass. I'd rather not buy the car if that's what it would take to afford it.

I'll tell you what: I wouldn't let my car belong to a fleet, however I wouldn't mind allowing my parents to summon my car and letting it take them to the store and/or anywhere they would want to go.
I also wouldn't mind my car taking me to work then returning home to take my wife to work. That way we would only need 1 car.

I'm not sure what my Insurance Company would say if my driverless AP car got into an accident with a non AP car. How will they know who's fault the accident is? Are my insurance rates going to sky rocket?

Will I have to tell my insurance company that I purchased AP or not? They will automatically know that my car comes with the hardware.

I have a lot more questions.