Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Deliveries via "Summoning"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
congrats.jpg

delivery.jpg

You're going to find an autonomous car waiting at a gate because it can't press a button to take a ticket.

yep....

Boston and the state of MA kicked off an initiative the day after Elon's announcement (surprise) to come up with permitting standards for autonomous cars and to study ways to facilitate their rollout.

I was quick to jump on Twitter and suggest that they need to come up with automated parking solutions, since autonomous cars can't pull tickets.

there's an Amtrak/commuter rail station that is smart enough to have EZpass scanning for parking payment.....

other than that, parking solutions in the Boston area have a ways to go to be autonomous-friendly.

Well, fantasy for now but I'm pretty sure we're going to see this in the not-so-distant future. Elon's announcement of 2 years may well be very premature as the regulators will likely be the ones holding it up, but less than 10 years seems a pretty safe bet. I also wasn't just thinking about the thread's premise of delivering the car though, I was more intrigued by some of the ideas discussed where you could travel independently of the car and meet up with it when/where needed. But the longer it takes regulators to get on board the more time manufacturers have to develop the tech and deploy a far greater number of cars able to take advantage of it when the door opens. The question then becomes does more autonomous cars on the road mean less novelty/temptation to mess with them, or more?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah well now, at the risk of thread jacking or duplicating, that's a whole different discussion. I think that's clearly one of the single biggest drivers (sorry, too easy) behind this tech. Uber, Google and the like are obviously keen to capitalize on a whole new business model where we won't need to own our own cars, one that surely has the current OEMs scrambling to figure out the implications for them. Tesla will most certainly be a major player: Uber CEO To Tesla: Sell Me Half A Million Autonomous Electric Cars In 2020.
I'd be curious to see polling on how many folks would really go car-less once it's fully available. I cannot EVER imagine not having my own car, I'm way too attached to the whole ownership experience. But I'm a hard-core enthusiast and likely represent no more some single digit percentage of the population.
You will NOT be in the single digit population. Maybe in big cities like NY, LA,etc.. it might come close to single digit. But just outside and beyond, will never come even close to single.

Lets just hope if this happens (manned) truck drivers don't start "accidently" running them off the road since they are "taking food of their table" by delivering themselves.

Seriously though, Mercedes is already testing autonomous trucking in Germany (Self-driving Mercedes robot-truck debuts on German autobahn (VIDEO) — RT News). Given what long haul truck driving pays (in the US at least, can't speak for those outside it), it is going to be ugly to watch that transition happen. Pretty sure that robot trucks won't be paying into the Teamster pension fund either, which will just make things worse.

That being said, I can't wait for self driving tech for myself. For others who make a living sitting behind a wheel, I hope you are considering how you will adapt when automation comes for you (as I constantly am working in the tech field).

Your post reminded me of this article:
Self-Driving Trucks Are Going to Hit Us Like a Human-Driven Truck

Presumably, it would pull over if the police vehicle was trying to pull it over. A google car has already been pulled over by the police.

So if there was no driver at all, and the officer determined that a ticket needed to be issued would your car argue for you, or just accept it and bring the ticket home to you? It would probably try to just sneak into the garage and hide the ticket like a wayward teenager :D

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
Taking that to an extreme, we could imagine a day when someone programmed their car to evade the police, and we see a high speed pursuit resulting in the police setting up a barricade to stop an empty car...

Taking that to an extreme, we could imagine a day when someone programmed their car to evade the police, and we see a high speed pursuit resulting in the police setting up a barricade to stop an empty car...

A high speed pursuit with computer speed reflexes... nice.

I could see disposal of bodies that way... load them in the trunk and send the car on it's way to a location far from the place the crime actually happened. Perhaps it stores a history...